English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And speaking of the Gormless ones, they're thinking of renaming Old Trafford!

Man Utd Owners Consider Renaming Old Trafford

I'm very much in two minds about this! Part of me says 'Hell no! No way - absolutely not!' but the other part looks at the $1bn that could be raised. It would wipe out the debt. 'Chevrolet Arena' though... :facepalm

The Liverpool owners are thinking of doing the same thing. It alienates and disillusions lifelong fans. However, on the other hand, are they going to call it by that name anyways? I don't think Newcastle fans now call St James' Park by its new name. If that is the case, what's the harm in a few extra bucks? However, there is a case to be made for the fact that the action itself comes across as highly ignorant of club history and breaks bridges between owners and fans.

It would be a good idea to rename the stadium. A lot of the time, I even heard the commentators calling Newcastle's stadium "St James' Park". Brings money in which any club barring Chelsea and City could use, and everyone can continue to call the ground what they used to. For 1 billion, it's an amazing deal.

Hazard and Oscar are great signings for the future, but in Oscar's case, I don't see him making a huge impact. Hazard on the other hand, should be very good and it's scary to think of what he will be one day. Hazard looked very sharp against City, he seems to have integrated with his new team well. Don't think he's on Mata's level yet, but great early signs. I couldn't stop laughing when he attempted what looked like a backheel or Ronaldo chop in the first half and fell over, classic:D.

Tbh I reckon until Ivanovic got sent off, Chelsea looked very good. Torres scoring is huge to. The question seems to be his lack of confidence, that finish was classic confident Torres and I won't be surprised if he scores at least 15 this season for Chelsea. He was also good generally other than the goal too.

Not much to see from City. Not a first choice XI, but they still looked great. That formation looks great too, but maybe a bit short in defence for use against top teams like Chelsea.

It would be a good idea to rename the stadium. A lot of the time, I even heard the commentators calling Newcastle's stadium "St James' Park". Brings money in which any club barring Chelsea and City could use, and everyone can continue to call the ground what they used to. For 1 billion, it's an amazing deal.

Hmmm. I think at this stage, it's more important to get this debt off our backs. $1bn is about ?637m, so it would wipe out the debt and put us ?200m or so in the black. Another thing - wouldn't it be easier to get rid of the Glazers if we were out of debt? Financial workings are not my strong point, but it makes sense to me. ;)

Can't wait for the season to start already, missed far too much in the news to even try to catch up.

You're right, it's complete ignorance to sell the club's naming rights to eliminate debts and to increase the quality of players on the pitch.

The owners are high end business men. I doubt they are ignorant in regards to anything they spend those amounts of money. Unless your the Venkys, i guess.

But as high powered business men, $$$ comes before sentimentality pretty much every single time.

Mourinho no longer wishes to be known as 'The Special One'. Bit out of character? Is he actually mellowing a bit?

Nope.

Now, he's 'The Only One', due to his multi-league success. :lol

Well, he has achieved some remarkable success, so nothing wrong in it. But I'd like to call him by that name only if he does win the Champions League with Real Madrid.

The owners are high end business men. I doubt they are ignorant in regards to anything they spend those amounts of money. Unless your the Venkys, i guess.

But as high powered business men, $$$ comes before sentimentality pretty much every single time.

I bet if Old Trafford's naming rights were sold, at least some of it would go back into the team to shut the fans up.

If doing that gets rid of the debt, and gives us a little 'pocket money' to spend on players, then I'd be reasonably happy. Provided the Glazers don't manage to drag us back into debt of course.

That name though... Chevrolet Arena...ugh!

A name means nothing, how many people do you call by nicknames.?

Ive lost count how many people I call by there real name.

You have memories and will no doubt have countless more in the theatre of dreams..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread