English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
When you're worth into the billions. It's like buying a round of drinks for someone like him.

But yeah, you are right I believe, they will have to pay him off with some serious compensation.

I think Moyes would love the opportunity. You sort of can't lose right now at Chelsea. Whoever takes the job next is coming in with the club in a bad way, and with a window a few months away to start rebuilding. Even if you're fired, people seem to accept that it's more Abrahmovich and the current crop of players than any perceived shortcomings managerially.

As good as Moyes has been at Everton, surely the chance to buy a player in one move that costs more than his entire transfer budget over the last 5 years at Everton will be tempting? Instead of Bilyaletinov, he could be spending ?40m on Sneider. Gotta be tempting to see?

lancashire666

International Coach
But I couldnt see Moyes putting up with an owner buying dead meat like Torres, hes far too good a manager to be dictated too

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
If someone phoned up Moyes and offered them Torres, I guarantee he'd take him ;)

WestIndian

vBookie Team
Chelsea woes started when they fired Ray Wilkins (for whatever the reason) then to top that off they did the same to Carlo Ancelotti, after winning the BPL title, I don't believe that they ever did recovered from these two firing!

It was a matter of time before AVB got the boot, he was somewhat relentless in saying that RA got his back and that he did not spend millions to bring him to Chelsea to part ways with him, how wrong he was from day one, because parting ways with him is just what the billionaire could do and did. Sure we can blame players, management etc... in the end RA cares about winning and titles, and when you spend the kind of funds that AVB spent you don't want to be in 5th position in any league!
AVB may have had the right approach and future plans, but I believe that he was trying to make major changes to quickly and without taking the time to understand what he was involved in, big name team, with financial power and history on it's side. In the end it seems it was just too much for him to handle.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
So, another win for us today, and a stunning performance from Ashley Young. We definitely got away with one when Adebayor's goal was disallowed though. ;) Another decent showing by De Gea as well, who seems to be adapting to the Premiership now.

If I were a City fan, I'd be a bit worried - they've got some extremely tough games to come before the Man Utd game, including Norwich away and Arsenal away. We could well be ahead by the time the big game comes, in which case a draw will do us. Not that we couldn't go there and win of course - we still owe them a little something for the 6-1. Putting a spanner in the works of their title charge by beating them will do nicely, thanks. ;)

As for AVB, if he really did come out and say that he didn't care about what the players thought, then that was just putting the noose around his own neck, especially at somewhere like Chelsea were player power is rife.

Last edited:

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I heard he gets it paid in full.
There's something seriously wrong with your club when you spend more on managers than players ;)

JBlues08

Club Captain
All I can say is, from top to bottom, the club is total mess. Players and the board are to be blamed for this but AVB is not without his fault either.Even with all the doom and gloom surrounding us with AVB in charge, I still have a tiny bit of optimism, even if it's blind optimism but with him gone and Di Matteo at the helm, I've just lost that tiny ray of hope for the remainder of the season.

Regarding the player power on how the likes of Terry and Lampard force managers out, I don't think Terry was involved in anyway with this. Seems to be more of Lampard and Cole.

Auwais

International Coach
Player power. I'm reminded of what Fergie said recently:

I said it to the directors 15 years ago, maybe more than 15 years ago: You have to remember that the most important person at Manchester United is the manager. The minute a footballer becomes more important than the manager, your club is dead ? the history of this club goes down the drain. I am the most important man at Manchester United. It has to be that way.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Indeed.

Exactly what money did AVB spend though? Romeu and Lukaku are both under 20 and there's Mata, one of the few bright sparks surrounded by a rotten core of overpaid and underskilled English knobs.

He inherited a team that didn't look too special at the end of last year, and as it has become apparent many of them could be on their ways out, they've just stopped performing.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Player power. I'm reminded of what Fergie said recently:

I said it to the directors 15 years ago, maybe more than 15 years ago: You have to remember that the most important person at Manchester United is the manager. The minute a footballer becomes more important than the manager, your club is dead ? the history of this club goes down the drain. I am the most important man at Manchester United. It has to be that way.

Yep - and you only have to look at Man Utd's record over the past twenty years or so to see that he's right. Fergie doesn't stand for player-power - the minute someone appears to be getting too big for their boots and they can't work it out with Sir Alex, they're gone. As it should be.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Also, am I right in thinking because AVB got sacked they have to pay him a percentage of his remaining salary? He has 3 or 4 years left, if so, ?12 million to sign him plus his wages this year and then a pay off, thats going to be over ?20 million. Shocking

Yeah that's most probably true. Wasn't that one of the reasons the FA stayed away from sacking Capello? It was going to cost them too much to sack him.

Abramovich is an idiot. Terry and Lampard are scum. RA bought AVB in to build for the future, yet only gave him 8 months. If he had wanted someone that would provide results there and then, he should have appointed someone else. It's been a harsh come back down to earth for Chelsea this season finding that their squad really isn't good enough with the exception of a few.

Then there is the senior players who basically forced RA's hand to sack him. I read a good comment earlier that basically said, when the players have that much influence it tells you a lot about the club. They should just run themselves if they think they know it all, would save RA a lot of money and hassle having to constantly hire and fire managers.

Don't know how RA will ever win trophies with the way he hires and fires managers. Would love to see Chelsea not even qualify for the Europa League now.

Chelsea's biggest mistake? Sacking Ray Wilkins. My word.

Lee1981

International Coach
Chelsea's biggest mistake? Sacking Ray Wilkins. My word.

Crazy statement, what your saying is, is the ass manager is the most important thing at the club,,,:facepalm:facepalm

I'll make this simple,, people who blame managers for teams short comings know nothing about football,, when the players cross that white line the managers influence is almost non existant,,,
How can a manager be blamed for players not being able to pass the ball to each other or someone missing easy chances,, its all crap,

We do it with England all the time, Capello seems to take all the flack for the world cup,, i mean look at Rooney he was pants in that tournament as were most of the squad, but no England fans want to chant Rooney Rooney.

Players are to blame, to much money to much power

Get Terry, Cech, Lampard, Drogba out, they are all finished, best years long gone, a few years rebuilding without these twats who cannot accept they are no longer good enough is what we need to do.

Want Hiddink badly but know it won't happen

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Typical Chelsea.

I wonder if Mourinho will go back there in the summer. It's not set up with the comforts as it once was, and he'd have genuine competition from at least three clubs this time, but on the other hand they're in disaster and struggling to make 4th, so he could come in and be seen as a saviour once again.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Crazy statement, what your saying is, is the ass manager is the most important thing at the club,,,

When did I say the Ass Man was the most important thing? Chelsea's downfall really kicked off when they sacked him. Apart from thinking all the players are 'the nicest guy you will ever meet' and telling us how happy he was to have been able to spend time with them, he obviously has a good tactical knowledge and would have been a good link between AVB and the players which was clearly missing.

Get Terry, Cech, Lampard, Drogba out, they are all finished, best years long gone, a few years rebuilding without these twats who cannot accept they are no longer good enough is what we need to do.

Chelsea have just sacked the guy who attempted to do that..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread