Feb 27 - India v England

The logic doesn't follow. One would expect that if our bowling sucks this much it should be given as much help as possible since the batsmen are good enough to take care of the conditions.

In fact, I'm surprised we haven't seen slower pitches.

Although it's improved of late, India has been pathetic in overseas conditions. By long term, I mean get young kids involved in wanting to bowl pace. Change the cricketing culture, it's extremely unbalanced right now.

Ah, I love that! I noticed it too when the tie happened y'day but didnt want to say it here because people will then point up my post if we dont win the cup here.

Hope that luck of Dhoni continues! :D

That is Teee - Twenteeee :D

Although it's improved of late, India has been pathetic in overseas conditions. By long term, I mean get young kids involved in wanting to bowl pace. Change the cricketing culture, it's extremely unbalanced right now.

I dont know what are the Kapil's and Srinath's doing? They should be going around to towns trying to unearth a genuine fast bowler. Its so hard to believe that we cant find a single good fast bowler from a country of a million cricket mad people. The likes of Gavaskar, Sachin, Azhar, Ganguly, Dravid, etc have made us completely focused on batting.

----------

Nowadays the T20 influence is evident in ODI's where chasing at 9 runs per over is no more an impossible task. Even 10+ runs per over Required run rate, teams are achieving it (England needed 11 runs per over in those last 4 overs and they almost pulled it off).

Moving back to DRS horrible decision, ICC needs to fix this rule. By that means if everyone starts standing forward no one will ever given LBW.

Well back before Hawkeye existed that was how you avoided LBW - even against quicks. Go watch some Dean Jones of the late 80s and when he bats out of his crease against the pace bowlers the commentators will talk about how it takes LBW out of the equation. And definitely against the spinners, get a good stride in and you were almost immune from LBWs in the umpires mind. It's only with Hawkeye's introduction that spinners have been getting those LBWs given. It's hardly a coincidence that spinners are starting to come back into the game now with the relaxed interpretation of the law.

The opposite to the 'getting well forward' guideline is the 'no shot offered' rule. Umpires in the past gave you out for not offering a shot pretty easily, even if the ball wasn't going to obviously hit the stumps. It was more a discouragement for bad batting if you like, while getting forward was seen as good batting and hence a batsman was given more leeway in LBWs. Example for no shot offered would have been Strauss in the first ball of the 2nd innings of the Brisbane Test this summer when Hilfy's inswinger was JUST going over the top of the stumps by Hawkeye. I personally think those should be given out - just to keep the decisions consistent with the umpiring standards of years past. When no shot is offered, the Hawkeye strike zone should get a little bit bigger IMHO.

I also heard that this happened between recent Eng Vs Aus ODI series where Trott was given out by UDRS even after he was standing forward 2.5 m. Is that true?

Yah he was, but that time umpire Reiffel used his discretion to go with Hawkeye and give it out anyway. On this occasion Bowden decided not to go with Hawkeye, but to reward Bell for getting forward. Traditionally, getting forward has been a way to avoid LBWs - so I personally had no problem with that interpretation. What I did have a problem with is that nobody knew the rule. When nobody knows the rules, then chaos follows and it should have been made clear to the viewers and spectators why the review was turned down.

Was it Trott or Tim paine who was 2.5 m off his crease and still given out lbw by Reifel ?? I remember it as Tim Paine adjudged lbw off a Plunkett delivery .

Ahh yes...but this is Fifty-50. So ,we got double the chance of doing so. :yes

I dont know what are the Kapil's and Srinath's doing? They should be going around to towns trying to unearth a genuine fast bowler. Its so hard to believe that we cant find a single good fast bowler from a country of a million cricket mad people. The likes of Gavaskar, Sachin, Azhar, Ganguly, Dravid, etc have made us completely focused on batting.

Srinath was an ICC referee and now is with the Karntaka Cricket Association as an admin. Though you cannot say that these guys did not try.

I still remember a few years ago, when Srinath and Kapil were a part o the Mahindra Scorpio Speedster contest. The fast bowlers to have come out of that contest were Munaf and Abid Nabi.

Was it Trott or Tim paine who was 2.5 m off his crease and still given out lbw by Reifel ?? I remember it as Tim Paine adjudged lbw off a Plunkett delivery .

Trott

Srinath was an ICC referee and now is with the Karntaka Cricket Association as an admin. Though you cannot say that these guys did not try.

I still remember a few years ago, when Srinath and Kapil were a part o the Mahindra Scorpio Speedster contest. The fast bowlers to have come out of that contest were Munaf and Abid Nabi.

Munaf and speedster dont rhyme well. Where is Abid Nabi? He was hailed to be this genuine quick bowler who never played. Same with Atul Sharma, who was hyped up as this 'monster bowler'.

Munaf was touted as the next fastest Indian bowler after Ajit Agarkar.

Abid Nabid signed up with the ICL to jeopardise his own career. Could be a while before he makes a comeback to the squad.

Users who are viewing this thread