Friends Provident Trophy 2008

Not only a 5fer but he managed to bowl 10 overs in an innings, hopefully he'll be able to continue improving and stay fit. Nice to see him getting some wickets.

YES, YES, YES, Du Plessis, you beauty!

I thought we were down at out at 5 for 70 odd, but he did it! Yousuf the great did nothing at all, making it even better, seen as he took the whole responsibility. Well played Kyle Hogg, too.

Lost our first game :( oh well if we were going to it would be against notts, still a long way to go and we have a good chance of winning the group if we beat them at home.

Right, about the Lancashire v Yorkshire game.... I have some hilarious videos to show, I will do a report of it soon.. Amazing day!

Simon Jones bowling really well again and fast. Sky sports 3 now. Got 2 wickets, get this form into FC and he's back into the side.

Sky Sports 2 actually ;)

I agree though, he has bowled really well. I saw him on the telly last season and he looked non-threatening. It's hard to get your hopes up though, as he has had so many problems with injuries.

Have to say I was pretty sceptical at the new 'regional' format this season, but come Bank Holiday Monday I'll have been at every match Kent have played in the group stage. Wouldn't have been able to do that under the old system and what cracking matches they have been.

Match 1: Kent v Essex at Canterbury. Essex pretty much owned this match but Martin van Jaarsveld went on a one man crusade to take us to respectability.

Match 2: Middlesex v Kent at Lord's. Bad weather forecast so low turnout spectator wise. They missed a doosie, Kent got so close but lost on the final ball, needed Simon Cook to hit a six off his first and only ball, he didn't quite time it.

Match 3: Sussex v Kent at Hove. Kent win with 2 balls remaining in the rain - didn't know throughout the entire match who was gonna win this one.

Match 4: Surrey v Kent at the Oval. Kent go nuts towards the end of their innings and outclass Surrey in their own backyard - something they don't do that often.

Match 5: Kent v Sussex at Canterbury. 9 wicket win by Kent. Van Jaarsveld scores another century.

Match 6: Essex v Kent at Chelmsford (floodlight). Kent set a total of 230 odd. Essex fans are looking pretty happy in the interval. Then comes probably the best bowling spell from Arafat and Mahmood you are ever likely to see. 5 lbw's given in their opening spells and Essex lose big style.

Match 7: Kent v Surrey at Canterbury. Kent set a mahoosive 337-3. Centuries from van Jaarsveld and Stevens. Despite this Surrey look in total control in their innings. Butcher scores 139 and everything looks done and dusted, but with Butchers dismissal Surrey go from 293-3 to 320 all out. Again absolutely amazing spells from Arafat and Mahmood, this time at the end of the innings.

Match 8: Kent v Middlesex at Tunbridge Wells????? Kent don't do that well on their outground and the group is far from settled (unless you are a Sussex or Surrey fan of course!)

Who says 50 over cricket is boring?

Who says 50 over cricket is boring?

Matthew Hayden and Muttiah Murlidaran ;)

Not seen Jones second spell, turned over to watch the campest boxer ever show but looking at his figures they're still respectable although nowhere near as good as what he started with, looks like a good partnership between Masca and Brown.

Sky Sports 2 actually ;)

I agree though, he has bowled really well. I saw him on the telly last season and he looked non-threatening. It's hard to get your hopes up though, as he has had so many problems with injuries.
Sure it was on 3 at some point today :p Yeh he has had a lot of injuries but they've all been so different I think whilst being injury prone he's also had a lo of bad luck unlike Flintoff who's problem is a permanent one. I still think if his comebacks managed properly Jones can have a future with England, although maybe not a long one.

Well Jones literally snapped his boot in half, had to change them, and these smart new ones the umpire became obsessed with!

Worcstershire have lost again after dominating the game. 70-6 you would think was a winning opportunity. Jones was bowling quite quickly at times. Well will find it hard to qualify now.

Worcs hardly dominated. Were it not for Batty and the rest of the tail they'd have been long gone before the second innings came about. Hampshire were always going to get to the target as long as a couple of batsmen stayed around.

Weather taking its toll today. 3 matches abandoned without a ball bowled (Warks v Ireland - Middlesex v Sussex - Northants v Notts) Derby v Yorkshire is also a no result.

Essex are currently looking like getting beaten in a 40 over match, so Kent qualify for the Quarters :) Will have to book a day off work now. Should make up for potentially sitting in the rain all day tomorrow at Tunbridge Wells.

Last edited:
Play abandoned for today's match at Tunbridge Wells. Was looking forward to being sat in the rain all day waiting for a short match. Forecast no better for Hastings, would have considered a trip down there for Sussex's first match at the ground in ages.

Oh well, there's always TMS.

raining pretty bad, targets keep getting revised and it's not really helping Notts but theyre already through, we need a point to go level with Northants and then it's down to net run rate and we'll have to wait for the geeks to work it out then but I'm not hopeful, would much rather we get the 2 points.

Leicester Fox added 15 Minutes and 7 Seconds later...

We win and go through as top side. I might go and watch us in the quarters, probably not unless its ater gcses though. Oh well lets get another win and go to the semis :D

Take that you notts gayers :D

Leicester Fox added 11 Minutes and 4 Seconds later...

Anyone know the draw? I turned over and missed it :p

Users who are viewing this thread