Generation Draft - COMPLETED!!

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Trumper%20Plate%202.jpg

Monty Noble

A poor man's Gary Sobers, Monty is regarded as one of the finest all-rounders produced by Australia. He was a daring, but controlled, batsman; a bowler who could bowl both off-spin and medium pace; a brilliant fieldsman, and a tactically sound captain.

His highlights are probably the Ashes series of 1897/98, where he had the best bowling average from both teams; the 1899 Ashes where he scored 367 runs at an amazing average of 52.42 (along with 13 wickets); or the 1901/02 Ashes, where he took 32 wickets at an average of 19.00 (along with 132 runs).

His most famous innings is probably when he saved the match for Australia in the 1899 Manchester match. He batted for over 8 hours while following on. While he was patient and skilled in defence during that innings, he was not afraid to go at the ball, as Wisden put it - "he used his height and reach with full effect in driving, pulling, forcing the ball off his legs, and cutting either square or late - a batsman of rare style and execution without any sign of weakness." The innings earned him to be the cricketer of the year in 1900.

For being one the greatest allrounders of his country, and certainly the best in his time, Monty Noble makes my XI with final stats of:

Matches: 42
Runs: 1997
Average: 30.25

Wickets: 121
Average: 25.00

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zaheer-Abbas-writes-off-Pakistan-in-ICC-World-Cup-2011-54671.jpg

Zaheer Abbas

There were about 4 batsman I was considering from this round to complete my middle-order. At the end, I decided to choose the classiest of them all. The Asian Bradman.

He was given that title not because of the bulk of his runs, or his style, or his average. But for his presence. When in full flow, his aura and flow of runs were only matched by The Don. But unlike the Don, he was beautiful to watch. Note the word - beautiful. I only wish I could have watched him live, as everywhere I read, his batting is described as poetry in motion. Just read his cricinfo profile - it's like someone is describing one of Mozart's symphonies; a Dickens novel; a DaVinci painting; rather than someone whacking the ball around. Gavaskar once stated that he was the perfect foil to Sir Viv. One was the personification of absolute power, while the other was of complete grace. And he did have an appetite equal to Viv and Don. He's the only Asian to have more than 100 FC tons (take that Sachin); holds the world record for most twin tons in FC (8); and took the mysterious Indian spin quartet to pieces when he scored 507 runs in 3 consecutive innings.

Here's a video of his 2nd match against England where he scored a double (uploaded by Robelinda).

Even the shot he got out to was a beautifully played sweep. Such class and elegance! To describe him as a run machine would be an insult.

Of being one of the greatest batsman in the 70's, and arguably the most elegant batsman to have graced the game, Zaheer Abbas makes my XI with final stats of:

Matches: 78
Runs: 5062
Average: 44.79

The Papa XI:
1)
2) J Darling (c)
3) W Hammond
4) E Weekes
5) Z Abbas
6) M Noble (vc)
7) W Rhodes
8)
9) W Akram
10) D Lillee
11) C Turner

Loving it. Absolutely loving it :D Just check out the class of that middle order.

----------

Thanks for doing that write-up Swacker :thumbs Think you may have left that last sentence un-finished, as it makes absolutely no sense :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
OK, to make comparisons easier, and to see who might be targeting whom in these late rounds, I've updated the 1st post with each XI. For some of your XI's, I had to take a guess at your batting order. Have a look and let me know if you want to make any changes.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I will let him have him but just for future instances, I'd rather have a rule set that until the person (who needs to pick) completely finishes up with his picks, next person cannot pick.

Back to cricinfo then. :p

----------

Clem Hill it is.

Yeah I think Pixel could have been a bit more sporting and given you some time to work it out, but either way I think you ended up the winner here :) Mead has a great average, but he spent most of his career out of the Test side ie. he was a 2nd XI/reserve player who just did very well when he filled in at Test level. Sometimes you have to ask why an apparently awesome batsmen who played 30 years of FC cricket only played 17 Tests. WW1 is one answer of course, but that didn't stop Hobbs or Hendren from racking up the Tests. Whereas Clem Hill was always a first choice in the Aussie side and was the leading Test run scorer of his time until Hobbs came along.

Will post my picks in a little bit - I can't get cricinfo to load this morning. It's like waking up and not being able to walk :D

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Still can't get on cricinfo...but anyway, will use the old fashioned bookshelf to get my info :)

border%2B2.jpg

Allan Border
Tests: 156
Runs: 11174
Ave: 50.56
100s: 27
HS: 205 vs New Zealand, Adelaide, 1987/88

With my sudden need for lefties - thanks for leaving me a great one guys :) I love AB, I remember picking him in a previous draft and I sung his praises in the underrated thread just the other day :) He was about the only guy Australia had that stopped the 80s being a complete disaster. I remember something Gideon Haigh wrote about it: People on the street during that time would ask what the cricket score was. The reply would be Australia in trouble. The follow up question would be: is Border still in? He was our only hope...

The 80s was a tough time to be a batsman with many great bowlers prowling around in world cricket. And yet who scored the most runs in the 80s? Yes, that gritty left hander from down under - AB. He didn't have a lot of help in the worst era of Australian cricket, yet Border excelled. His technique and shot making was limited, relying on the cut and pull a lot it seemed.

The English were licking their licks to test him in seaming conditions and yet Border was the leading run scorer on at least 2 of his England tours. He helped turn around Australian cricket too, starting as a reluctant captain but ending a tough and triumphant one by leading Australia to an upset win in the 1987 World Cup and starting an era of domination with the thumping of England in the 1989 Ashes. Was so reliable too, 153 Tests in a row is an amazing record.

AB was an excellent fielder. Had very reliable hands and took some great catches in the slips/gully area and was one of the best at finding the stumps with his throws. Wasn't a bad left arm orthodox change bowler either, once skittling the West Indies with 7/46 at the SCG.

I feel a little bad for getting Border and 'ruining' my top 7 which is chock full of entertainers and innovators, but every team needs some glue to hold them together and Border's grit at #5 will be important to the batting order.

nla.pic-an23449085-v

Bert Oldfield
Tests: 54
Runs: 1427
Ave: 22.65
HS: 65* vs England, SCG, 1924/25
Catches: 78
Stumpings: 52

My old almanac says his Test career spanned from 1920-1935 and he made his FC debut in 1919. So he should be right for this section.

The almanac reckons that Oldfield was regarded as the best keeper of his generation. He got to keep to a trio of great Aussie leg spinners and excelled standing up to the stumps. Still holds the world record for stumpings with 52 over his career, astonishing given he only played 54 Tests and players these days double and triple that number. In 1924/25 he stumped 4 Englishmen in an innings, a record which lasted 64 years.

Useful lower order batsmen but nothing special, so he's #9 for me.

1 Victor Trumper
3 Prince Ranjitsinhji
4 Ricky Ponting
5 Allan Border (c)
6 Keith Miller
7 Sir Ian Botham
8 Hugh Trumble
9 Bert Oldfield (wk)
10 Sir Alec Bedser

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
You know I was really tempted to pick AB. A real legend of the game. Transformed one of the most abysmal team in 80's to arguably the greatest one to have played the game. 2 things stopped me though.

a) He wasn't great to watch.
b) I knew you wanted him :p

Really worried I won't get the picks I want - a lot of people still need a keeper and an opener. Plus, despite my bowling attack being brilliant, I still want a leggie to make it perfect. Might be going left-field in the last round.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Aww thanks for leaving him :) Actually there's still a middle order guy from 71-90 around that was both beautiful to watch AND very successful - shame he was right handed or I would have been very tempted. I bet crew of black takes him - he'd start filling his middle order very nicely.

There's plenty of decent openers this round too.

If I were a bit lower in the round I might have gone keeper for 71-90 - there's a guy who I really rate highly, but no one else seems to. So on another day he would have been my choice, but Border was too good to pass up :thumbs

Crew of Black

Club Cricketer
Ok my next picks are...

100144.1.jpg

Charles McCartney​

"The Governer General" was a batsman of high calibur, armed with an audacious approach and a keen eye for the ball. McCartney was a high calibur batsman that in his own words played every ball on its merit, which he put into effect by clubbing 345 against Nottinghampshire in less than 4 hours. His batting was not his only great quality, he also showed all-round qualities with his left arm orthodox spin which earned him close to 50 wickets at an average 27 in test matches. Taking into account what has been said and written about him, I have selected him to be the guy that blast the oppositions attack away, add to that his ability to roll the arm over which makes him a very useful fifth option in the attack.

82626.1.jpg

Clive Lloyd​

2. Bill Ponsford (2122 Runs Ave 48.22)
3. Chalie MacCartney (2131 Runs Ave 41.78) (45 Wickets Ave 27.55)
4. Sir Frank Worrell (3860 Runs Ave 49.48)
5. Arthur Shrewbury (1277 Runs Ave 35.47)
6. Clive Lloyd (7515 Runs Ave 46.67)
8. Sir Richard Hadlee (3124 Runs Ave 27.16) (431 Wickets Ave 22.29)
9. Shane Warne (3154 Runs Ave 17.32) (708 Wickets Ave 25.41)
10. Fred Spofforth (94 Wickets Ave 18.41)
11. Bill O'Reilly (144 Wickets Ave 22.59)

Quick question to you guys, should a player who bats and bowls with a different hand count as a left hander?

Because technically I have two,with Hadlee being a left handed bat and MacCartney being a left arm spinner.

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Well I think it's meant to be whatever their main discipline is: so Macartney and Hadlee would be righties. But Papa can double check that once he gets on. If that's true you'll need 2 lefties to finish off - which could get a bit tricky. Or you might consider changing one of these 2 to a left hander just to be certain.

Either way love what you've done thus far: Spofforth, Hadlee, O'Reilly and Chappell are bargains for the spots where you picked them :thumbs Chappell was classy plus he provides great value in the field, and could bowl a bit too. Actually so could Worrell, so there's plenty of bowling options there.

Crew of Black

Club Cricketer
Yeah I am in a bit of a spot of bother with the left handers, which due to being caught out by the lack of them before the 80's and my draft position might cause me to have to change a pick unfortunately

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Warren Bardsley

133468.jpg

A strong domestic season in 1908-09 ? 748 runs from 9 innings at an average of 83.11 ? led to Bardsley's inclusion in the 1909 Australian squad to tour England for the Ashes. After making his debut at Edgbaston, in the city of Birmingham, Bardsley struggled for runs in the Test arena, returning scores of 2, 6, 46, 0, 30, 2, 9 and 35 in his first eight innings. In the Fifth Test, at The Oval, London, however, Bardsley became the first Test cricketer to score a century - 100 runs or more - in both innings of a single Test match.

The 1910-11 series against South Africa in Australia was Bardsley's strongest Test series - 573 runs at 63.67 in nine innings. The following year, against England, he struggled somewhat and was replaced by the ageing Syd Gregory for the Fifth Test. Bardsley returned to Test form in the inaugural Triangular Test series (featuring England, Australia and South Africa in England) ending the series as the leading run-scorer (392 runs at 65.33 from 6 innings).

Courtesy: Wikipedia

Geoffrey Boycott

056824.jpg

Over Boycott's 18 year career he scored 8,114 runs in 108 Test matches for England. He was the first England cricketer to pass 8,000 Test runs and is still fourth on England's all-time run scoring list (behind Graham Gooch, Alec Stewart and David Gower). His average of 47.72 runs over 193 innings is the highest completed career average among England players since 1970. His Test career included 22 centuries (an England record that he holds jointly with Wally Hammond and Colin Cowdrey). England did not lose a Test match in which he scored a century and only 20 of his 108 Tests ended in defeat. John Arlott wrote in 1979 that "any expectation of an English win, except in freak bowling conditions, is based on a major innings from Boycott."

Courtesy: Wikipedia

User's XI:

1. Geoffrey Boycott
2. Warren Bardsley
4. Dudley Nourse
5. Andy Flower (wk)
6. Sir Clyde Walcott
7. Imran Khan
9. Joey Palmer
10. George Lohmann
11. Charlie Blythe

Last edited:

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
Left a reference in the write-up of Boycott there User :p

And Greg Chappell was another I was seriously thinking of picking. I found it almost hard to distinguish from Abbas. One had a higher average, but the other was in a class of his own. At the end, I guess it just comes down to personal preference, as they're both great batsmen. But Abbas was better :p

As for the left-hander choice, yeah, it comes down to their primary skill set. So Hadlee is a right hand bowler and McCartney a right hand batsman. You can either change a pick, or pick two left handers in the last round. Up to you :)

Crew of Black

Club Cricketer
Left a reference in the write-up of Boycott there User :p

And Greg Chappell was another I was seriously thinking of picking. I found it almost hard to distinguish from Abbas. One had a higher average, but the other was in a class of his own. At the end, I guess it just comes down to personal preference, as they're both great batsmen. But Abbas was better :p

As for the left-hander choice, yeah, it comes down to their primary skill set. So Hadlee is a right hand bowler and McCartney a right hand batsman. You can either change a pick, or pick two left handers in the last round. Up to you :)

Does the pick I change have to be from the current round, or can I change one from a past round?

Papa_Smurf

International Cricketer
I think to be fair, this round :) Otherwise, someone might have wanted who you picked earlier, but couldn't as you had them.

Users who are viewing this thread