GTA IV on PC

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
GTA IV does run better since i went 4gig and vista 64, in fact it just runs better on vista for some reason. If you go vista 64, and 4 gig you should be able to run it a ok at low-medium settings.

Niv

Club Cricketer
I've got 2GB on 32 Vista and it runs great on medium, only gets a little slow when it rains.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
OK, but you mentioned having to go to 64 bit if I get 4Gb. What exactly did you mean?
32-bit Operating systems can only address a total of 4 GB Memory in the entire system, be it RAM, Cache, GPU memory, you name it, the total naming. Its like it has to number each one so it can only remember 4GB of them at once. So 4 Gigs of RAM + 512MB graphics memory = only 3.5 GB RAM addressed. Add to that CPU caches and etc. and much of it goes waste.

64-bit enhances this limit to a ridiculously high number, hence erasing the problem. 64-bit has to be on both levels, Hardware and Software, however processors have had teh capability of 64-bit for quite a long time.

chainsnatcher

School Cricketer
I recommend that you guys buy a console for playing games like GTA as they are not as good as they are on the consoles on pc.You get updates from Rockstar,expansion packs and loads of other stuffs.Plus the gameplay is a lot better on my 360 than on my PC which is a dual core 3.1 ghz with 4 gb ram,Nvidia GTX 280 graphics card and inspite of all these configs,I dont enjoy it on my pc as I do on my console...

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I prefer to play games on PC. I prefer the higher resolutions and the mods and patches. Besides, the PS3 is U/S right now.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
I recommend that you guys buy a console for playing games like GTA as they are not as good as they are on the consoles on pc.You get updates from Rockstar,expansion packs and loads of other stuffs.Plus the gameplay is a lot better on my 360 than on my PC which is a dual core 3.1 ghz with 4 gb ram,Nvidia GTX 280 graphics card and inspite of all these configs,I dont enjoy it on my pc as I do on my console...
The updates, expansion packs, all are available on PC in due time, heck there's a bloody big modding community!

I guess it all boils down to personal opinion and choice. :)

chainsnatcher

School Cricketer
^^^I guess you are right there...Its just that I like to play certain games on my 360 because I have a Monster sized TV and my bro is with my PC throughout ze day...

Niv

Club Cricketer
I'll never get the hang of using thumbsticks for F/3PS games, the mouse is just so much easier for me which is why I mainly play PC.

EDIT:
smashedtaxi.jpg

:D

Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
it runs fine on my computer i have 5gb ram

5gb? That's an odd amount.

About GTA IV and my system, I'm thinking about getting a new (better) heatsink for my current CPU and o/c it. I've been told I could get 3ghz out of it, would that be sufficient to get GTA IV to run on medium, or preferably, high?

Also, any heatsink suggestions are welcome.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I don't even think you need a heatsink for that. I was able to take my E2160 on a stock heat sink to 3 Ghz with ambient temperatures being around 39C!

The thing is, CoreTemp shows my CPU running at 40 degrees+ (both cores). I am not comfortable with taking my heatsink out to clean it - if that's what needs to be done - (someone once said that the CPU could stick to the heatsink when taking it out, don't know how accurate that is).

I'm thinking of this one:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-017-AR

Last edited:

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
The thing is, CoreTemp shows my CPU running at 40 degrees+ (both cores). I am not comfortable with taking my heatsink out to clean it - if that's what needs to be done - (someone once said that the CPU could stick to the heatsink when taking it out, don't know how accurate that is).

I'm thinking of this one:

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775)

40c, is that idle or load? If its idle that is rather high.

I used to have that cooler, its cheap but effective. I have since put it in my girlfriends pc. That should be enough to get you to 3Ghz.

Make sure you get some of this to apply to the cpu heatsink (not the cooler heatsink). You can get instructions about how much to apply at the arctic silver website.

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g)

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
40c, is that idle or load? If its idle that is rather high.

I used to have that cooler, its cheap but effective. I have since put it in my girlfriends pc. That should be enough to get you to 3Ghz.

Make sure you get some of this to apply to the cpu heatsink (not the cooler heatsink). You can get instructions about how much to apply at the arctic silver website.

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g)

Hi Gas!

I took out the heatsink today and removed the dust. Being an Intel heatsink, it was easy to remove and put back, would you say the same for the Arctic Freezer?

Also, I wouldn't mind having one of those displays on the front of the case that shows temperatures and fan speeds automatically (it'll look good and I will be able to see what's what at a glance). Have you got any links where I can get one of those and what's the cheapest one available, that still does the job well?

As to the thermal paste, PC Gamer says a pea sized amount, then spread it with a flat edge such as a credit card (an old one, of course). Sound right to you?

Edit: One last question, as I've taken this thread miles off topic - sorry about that! How long do you need to run Prime 95 for? I've heard people say 24 hours, surely that's not necessary?

I'll open a new thread for any further questions. :)

Last edited:

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Hi Gas!

I took out the heatsink today and removed the dust. Being an Intel heatsink, it was easy to remove and put back, would you say the same for the Arctic Freezer?

Also, I wouldn't mind having one of those displays on the front of the case that shows temperatures and fan speeds automatically (it'll look good and I will be able to see what's what at a glance). Have you got any links where I can get one of those and what's the cheapest one available, that still does the job well?

As to the thermal paste, PC Gamer says a pea sized amount, then spread it with a flat edge such as a credit card (an old one, of course). Sound right to you?

Edit: One last question, as I've taken this thread miles off topic - sorry about that! How long do you need to run Prime 95 for? I've heard people say 24 hours, surely that's not necessary?

I'll open a new thread for any further questions. :)

Yes, it is exactly the same design as the intel heatsink/fan combo's. Fiddly, but easy once you understand how they work with the click to fit in place mechanism.

Check your motherboard's website, i use a tool called Asus Probe, this allows me to adjust fan speed temps (other than in bios). I use Core temp (google) to check for CPU temps.

Wrong, check the arctic silver website. It is vital that you do it how they say for intel dual core chips. You only need a thin straight line of it, just check the arctic silver website, it will talk you through the whole process. It makes a difference.

Sod it, heres the link you will need.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf

Prime95 is fine, but to be honest if you can run it for 30 minutes (small fft's test), and temps stay below 60c, your good. No game will stress your cpu that much so i wouldn't even bother running it that long.

As long as everything is getting enough volts, you should have no problems. If temps are fine but pc freezes or restarts, then you may need to up the cpu volts a little at a time until you get stable. More than likely you won't need to.

Users who are viewing this thread