ICC Awards Thread.

what on earth is monty panesar doing in there? what a joke of a nomination, there has got to be someone more worthy

asif has 2 be da emerging player ov da year!

n yeah dat best women's cricketer category is dam funny!

Asif has had 4 games, he performed well but its hard to give it so someone with such little evidance.

DOn't take it wrong. I think he is Brilliant!! I really like him.

wfdu_ben91 said:
Ponting has scored 2 single figure score since the Ashes (3 if you count his 0 not out) and has scored 8 centuries since at a batting average of 78 and his average would probably be bigger if he had been playing over the last few months. Ponting's in prime form and is without a doubt the best batsman in the world by some gap. I guess the next person that comes in line would be Mohammad Yousuf or perhaps Michael Hussey as far as the last year is concerned.

What about Matthew Hayden? His the best batsman I've ever see play, he has a consistant average of 53-54 which was brought down from 58 after his piss poor Ashes performance and a few years ago he was as good as Ponting has ever been, if not better! Along side Ponting, McGrath & Warne I'd add him to the list of world class players. I'd have him in my team over any England batsman.

Man you have to be the most bias kid I've ever come across.

Ponting is definitly one of the best batsmen on the world, but to say that he is by "some margain" is ridiculous(sp). Yes this past year, he was the best, no doubt about it, but over all in the recent past, Dravid and Kallis are on par with him.

Matthew Hayden the best batsman you've ever seen play? I guess you havn't watched alot of cricket, but oh well, your opinion... BTW, there was no way that Hayden's average could go down from 58 to 53 in a 5 match test sereis, because Hayden has played so many tests, Even 5 ducks would't drop his average that low. Do your research before you randomly start typing to make a player look better. :rolleyes:

gambino said:
what asif did against india and sri lanka is better than anything cook and monty ever did in this period

Debatable.

Harder for a Spinner to suceed against the Sub-Continent teams than a Seamer.

rickyp - Explain why Montys inclusion is a joke nomination?

It's been decades since a Spinner has been the best English bowler in and English summer against 2 sub continent teams.

Sureshot said:
Debatable.

Harder for a Spinner to suceed against the Sub-Continent teams than a Seamer.

rickyp - Explain why Montys inclusion is a joke nomination?

It's been decades since a Spinner has been the best English bowler in and English summer against 2 sub continent teams.

Basically, as he's Australian he believes that an Englishman has no right to be nominated for any award. :rolleyes:

Monty deserves to be there, he's a character and is fantastic talent.

zreh said:
Man you have to be the most bias kid I've ever come across.

Ponting is definitly one of the best batsmen on the world, but to say that he is by "some margain" is ridiculous(sp). Yes this past year, he was the best, no doubt about it, but over all in the recent past, Dravid and Kallis are on par with him.

Matthew Hayden the best batsman you've ever seen play? I guess you havn't watched alot of cricket, but oh well, your opinion... BTW, there was no way that Hayden's average could go down from 58 to 53 in a 5 match test sereis, because Hayden has played so many tests, Even 5 ducks would't drop his average that low. Do your research before you randomly start typing to make a player look better. :rolleyes:

I've watched plenty of cricket, buddy. Hayden has dominated over the last few years and statistics say his batted better then what Tendulkar has. Don't come up with all of this "Tendulkar had to face McGrath & Warne" because firstly Hayden's a great player of spin and he'd be a perfect canidate for facing McGrath.

I'm sorry for not absolutely being procise! But you're actually right. Hayden's average didn't drop from 58 to 53 in 5 tests (And oh by the way, have you ever heard of a second innings before?) but his average was once at 58 before he went into slump just like Ponting's average is at 58 now.

How is that biased? I don't like Ponting personally and I admire Hayden as a batsman and just because I think his the best batsman in the world? I bet if Hayden played for any other country you'd be on his band wagon. :rolleyes:

MATTHEW HAYDEN
Code:
Mat  Runs  HS   BatAv 100  50   W    BB  BowlAv 5w  Ct St
12  1287 137   58.50   5   6   -   -       -    -  24  0

VS

MONTY PANESAR
Code:
class  mat  balls  runs  wkts  bbi  bbm  ave  econ  sr  4  5  10 
Tests   10   2408   1037   32   5/72   8/93   32.40   2.58   75.25   0   2   0

i probs am biased against england but even still, hayden has been far more superior since the last awards, there isnt any denying that, yet he isnt up for cricketer of the year?

rickyp said:
MATTHEW HAYDEN
Code:
Mat  Runs  HS   BatAv 100  50   W    BB  BowlAv 5w  Ct St
12  1287 137   58.50   5   6   -   -       -    -  24  0

VS

MONTY PANESAR
Code:
class  mat  balls  runs  wkts  bbi  bbm  ave  econ  sr  4  5  10 
Tests   10   2408   1037   32   5/72   8/93   32.40   2.58   75.25   0   2   0

i probs am biased against england but even still, hayden has been far more superior since the last awards, there isnt any denying that, yet he isnt up for cricketer of the year?
You can't pick a cricketer of the year based on just test performances. Which is why I don't see how Monty made it to that list.

exactly!, its the same reason hayden isnt on that list. How can someone who isnt on the list for test player of the year or one day player of the year be cricketer of the year? its so inconsistent. Dont get me wrong, I think panesar is really going to go places, but i wouldnt put him in MY top 25 this year

wfdu_ben91 said:
I've watched plenty of cricket, buddy. Hayden has dominated over the last few years and statistics say his batted better then what Tendulkar has. Don't come up with all of this "Tendulkar had to face McGrath & Warne" because firstly Hayden's a great player of spin and he'd be a perfect canidate for facing McGrath.

I'm sorry for not absolutely being procise! But you're actually right. Hayden's average didn't drop from 58 to 53 in 5 tests (And oh by the way, have you ever heard of a second innings before?) but his average was once at 58 before he went into slump just like Ponting's average is at 58 now.

How is that biased? I don't like Ponting personally and I admire Hayden as a batsman and just because I think his the best batsman in the world? I bet if Hayden played for any other country you'd be on his band wagon. :rolleyes:

First tell me what you mean by "the last few years?" If your talking about the last 2 years, then yes Hayden has been better than Tendulkar, but thats because Tendulkar faught through big injuries. Before that Tendulkar was ahead in both ODI and Test matches.

Listen, Hayden is an excellent batsman, I'm not saying he isn't, he is a class act, brilliant player, but you over hype him. Ponting right now is much better.
Infact over the past year Ponting was the best batsman in the world. I admit that, I'm not being bias...

Sorry England fans. Monty being nominated for the biggest award is an absolute joke.

He does not deserve to be amoungst those names, players with averages of 80 with the bat and others under and in the low 20 with the ball.

Warne and Murili have had amazing years, he has no show against them anyway.

-> Can any of you argue with this:

Vettori:
9 Tests:
Bowling: 23 wickets at 29.08 average.
Batting 41.45 average with 1 hundred and 2 fiftys.

23 ODIs
Bowling: 28 wickets at 29.10
Batting: 16.16 average with 1 fifty. (Not so good here but he is a lower order player so hardly gets a chance)

He captained our side to 2 wins over Australia.

Monty Panesar:
10 Tests:
Bowling: 32 wickets at 32.40
Batting: 10.20 average

The latter gets nominated for player of the year and the first one doesn't get nominated for anything. I don't think Vettori played well enough to be nominated but with better stats then Panesar. Doesn't make any sense to me. And Vettori bowled well in ODI's too.

Last edited:
You make a good point, but to whom? I don't see many England fans jumping up to defend Monty, so they must realize that Monty being up there for player of the year doesn't make any sense.

Users who are viewing this thread