ICC Cricket World Cup - May/July 2019

Who will be crowned the ODI World Champion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ganguly and his saying of wrong names in commentary - Shekhar Dhawan,Kedar Yadav,Kangiso Rabada,Varun Arun,Ian Morgan etc.:p

And there’s the game nearly done. Indian fans really must be some of the most pessimistic group of fans out there. :rolleyes
Well Carey is keeping them in the hunt getting a bit nervous now.

I was watching the game at a pub and I was amazed at the abuse the Indian batters copped, first for their 'pace' for the first 15 overs of their innings and then from over 30-40. People just don't get that the onslaught at the end is straight forward if you don't collapse and keep wickets in hand.

I think genuinely that this is a 330 wicket and the Aussies made a few tactical errors-

1) I think Stoinis and Maxwell are both 6th bowlers. I feel more and more that with NCL and Cummins, they rather another bowler than playing a half and half fifth bowler.

2) When Kohli walked out, Finch should immediately have gone Cummins & Starc in tandem rather than have Zampa and a fifth bowler or a combination of Stars and Cummins. The late onslaught was always a given because with that many wickets in hand and on this track, the fear of getting out is lost.

3) I still thought that 350 was not out of the realms of possibility. One wrist spinner, in all likelihood Kuldeep and Pandya had to travel. I rate Warner a lot and I think he can build innings these days but his innings was very poor today. I have no issue with him taking time, but the intent was lacking today.

4) The move to hold Maxwell back is poor and after the Warner innings he should have been in at 4. There was a reason Pandya came in ahead of Dhoni and Rahul.

My mantra from now for teams is simple. Build a sold foundation and then don't hold your big guns back. They are doubly effective if they've been in for 30 odd balls. If they get out, they could get out even in the end.

India looking very strong as usual, but I swear to the lord Bumrah has the ugliest action I ever seen...I think he could legitimately bowl with two balls if you watch his following arm it does a 360 :eek:

India looking very strong as usual, but I swear to the lord Bumrah has the ugliest action I ever seen...I think he could legitimately bowl with two balls if you watch his following arm it does a 360 :eek:
Ever heard of hyperextension of arms?

Great innings from Carey should bat up the order IMO ahead of Stoinis or even Maxwell TBH.

Well Carey is keeping them in the hunt getting a bit nervous now.

I would have been worried had there been a few wickets left in the bank or if Warner had played at a strike rate above 90 instead of whatever he was trying to do. Right now however, it's too little too late like I mentioned earlier, Maxi should have been sent in way way earlier.[DOUBLEPOST=1560101751][/DOUBLEPOST]On another note, out of all the batsmen in this tournament, Carey would have been my last pick for being the quickest to a fifty. Quite a good innings from him, given that he isn't a natural slogger of the ball.

Great innings from Carey should bat up the order IMO ahead of Stoinis or even Maxwell TBH.

He is an opener by trade after all. His innings' today and in general batting down the order reminds me of Jadhav, in the way he picks the gap for fours rather than try to go big. I'm not really sure of how effective it would be higher up the order, but he does need to bat ahead of the duo if they're 3 wickets down prior to the 30 over mark.

So 10 match streak of Australia is coming to and end and Yet again its India who halted their streak, did it twice in tests breaking their 17 match streaks in 2001 and 2008.

Sending Khwaja ahead of Maxwell is where Australia lost the match. Indian won the match by sending Pandya ahead of others and that is the difference of runs for the loss.

Virat and co should be a happy unit, now to the next one against Kiwis... they have had it easy so far

Good game for India. It was important for us to start well because we have tough matches early on in the competition and we have done exactly that. Dhawan is made for ICC tournaments and he showed that again. Hopefully the injury is not too serious and he can continue without much trouble. Good to see everyone contributing in the win tonight. It was also important for Bhuvi to get those wickets that he did today. He has been bowling decently but hasn't been getting too many wickets and it was good that he got something to show for the way he bowled today. I think Chahal is bowling very well right now but Australia played Kuldeep very well today.

A much more satisfying win than the one against South Africa. I was not sure with that decision to send Hardik in ahead of Rahul but it was one of those days when the decision worked pretty spectacularly. The middle order batting is what won the game for India and full marks to Hardik, Kohli and Dhoni for keeping the rate up and take us beyond 350.

Also very happy with the performance of Bhuvi. A huge plus for us because an in-form Bhuvi is a major asset because he is way better at the death than Shami and also his batting can become invaluable at some situations during this tournament. And you just cannot go wrong with Shikhar Dhawan in an ICC tournament. He definitely has a switch in his brain that turns on and glows super bright when he enters an ICC tournament. He is undroppable barring an injury.

I was watching the game at a pub and I was amazed at the abuse the Indian batters copped, first for their 'pace' for the first 15 overs of their innings and then from over 30-40. People just don't get that the onslaught at the end is straight forward if you don't collapse and keep wickets in hand.

I think genuinely that this is a 330 wicket and the Aussies made a few tactical errors-

1) I think Stoinis and Maxwell are both 6th bowlers. I feel more and more that with NCL and Cummins, they rather another bowler than playing a half and half fifth bowler.

2) When Kohli walked out, Finch should immediately have gone Cummins & Starc in tandem rather than have Zampa and a fifth bowler or a combination of Stars and Cummins. The late onslaught was always a given because with that many wickets in hand and on this track, the fear of getting out is lost.

3) I still thought that 350 was not out of the realms of possibility. One wrist spinner, in all likelihood Kuldeep and Pandya had to travel. I rate Warner a lot and I think he can build innings these days but his innings was very poor today. I have no issue with him taking time, but the intent was lacking today.

4) The move to hold Maxwell back is poor and after the Warner innings he should have been in at 4. There was a reason Pandya came in ahead of Dhoni and Rahul.

My mantra from now for teams is simple. Build a sold foundation and then don't hold your big guns back. They are doubly effective if they've been in for 30 odd balls. If they get out, they could get out even in the end.

The IPL and T20s in general have really ruined our fans' views on batting in ODIs. It's an even bigger surprise when they've been watching Rohit play like this for the last four years so successfully. On these kind of pitches where there's probably a 5-10% in it for the pace bowlers with two new balls, wickets in hand are really important. The only time to be truly aggressive is on the really flat decks.

1)For the fifth bowler, Mitch Marsh would be the ideal option for the Aussies but he's unfortunately fallen out of favour. I do think Finch should bowl a few of his pies if needed, he can bowl if needed. The only other option would be to drop Stoinis and play another bowler which significantly weakens the batting.

2)Zampa bowled because Kohli's shown a weakness to googlies over the last year at the start of his innings and Zampa has dismissed Kohli a few times too. But I do think him seeing Pandya walking out to bat completely befuddled him, as he was expecting Dhoni and hoped to finish a few overs of spin to him at the start given how poor Dhoni starts versus spin.

3)They do need someone to build a big innings for that, and I think Smith and Khawaja were batting a position lower than they ideally would prefer. With them in their natural positions, Australia would have had a better chance at that big individual score that is needed for most teams not named England in putting up big scores.

4)Agreed, Clarke said the same if I'm right. Had Warner been out 5 overs later, Langer woud have sent Maxi in as he's usually only been sent with 20 overs to go.

This might sound controversial, but I think playing with three openers isn't the right thing to do for the Aussies, particularly if Warner isn't going to the aggressor like he once was. I would probably send Richardson home (if Behrendorff is not going to get a game under most circumstances, Kane surely isn't going to) and replace him with Handscomb or Turner (personal preference being Handscomb) so that there always remains the option to change things up if the current batsmen play poorly. If they are going to play with three openers, Warner should be a bit more aggressive in the powerplay with the knowledge that Khawaja is going to come in at 3 and act as the third opener. Hopefully Marsh gets a go at 3 for the next game, it wasn't so long ago when he was the best batsman in this side.

The IPL and T20s in general have really ruined our fans' views on batting in ODIs. It's an even bigger surprise when they've been watching Rohit play like this for the last four years so successfully. On these kind of pitches where there's probably a 5-10% in it for the pace bowlers with two new balls, wickets in hand are really important. The only time to be truly aggressive is on the really flat decks.

1)For the fifth bowler, Mitch Marsh would be the ideal option for the Aussies but he's unfortunately fallen out of favour. I do think Finch should bowl a few of his pies if needed, he can bowl if needed. The only other option would be to drop Stoinis and play another bowler which significantly weakens the batting.

2)Zampa bowled because Kohli's shown a weakness to googlies over the last year at the start of his innings and Zampa has dismissed Kohli a few times too. But I do think him seeing Pandya walking out to bat completely befuddled him, as he was expecting Dhoni and hoped to finish a few overs of spin to him at the start given how poor Dhoni starts versus spin.

3)They do need someone to build a big innings for that, and I think Smith and Khawaja were batting a position lower than they ideally would prefer. With them in their natural positions, Australia would have had a better chance at that big individual score that is needed for most teams not named England in putting up big scores.

4)Agreed, Clarke said the same if I'm right. Had Warner been out 5 overs later, Langer woud have sent Maxi in as he's usually only been sent with 20 overs to go.

This might sound controversial, but I think playing with three openers isn't the right thing to do for the Aussies, particularly if Warner isn't going to the aggressor like he once was. I would probably send Richardson home (if Behrendorff is not going to get a game under most circumstances, Kane surely isn't going to) and replace him with Handscomb or Turner (personal preference being Handscomb) so that there always remains the option to change things up if the current batsmen play poorly. If they are going to play with three openers, Warner should be a bit more aggressive in the powerplay with the knowledge that Khawaja is going to come in at 3 and act as the third opener. Hopefully Marsh gets a go at 3 for the next game, it wasn't so long ago when he was the best batsman in this side.

1) No point talking about guys that aren't there although I agree with you. Finch could bowl his lollipops against other teams, but good luck against England & India. I think Stoinis has to be dropped.

2) Dhoni is weak against spin when there are overs to spare. If you notice, he struggles to rotate against them but when the situation forces him to attack them, he pretty much gets the job done. Also, recent form tends to suggest that Dhoni isn't really bothered by anything which is an ominous sign! When Kohli came into bat, Dhawan was with him and that was the time to unleash Starc & Cummins on him with fire and fury even if it meant bowling Stoinis & Coulter-Nile at the death. Why? India is a top heavy team. You get them, you essentially break their strength (not their spirit) and you at least ask questions of the batting line up. If the top 3 are in by the 30th-35th over, it's curtains. Dhoni came in a lot later, the game was firmly in India's grasp when Pandya walked out to bat. Or rather, I should say, the game was firmly going as per plan/the Indian template.

3) I think Smith was batting in the right spot. Warner just squeezed too much at the top. Khawaja played well, but if after Warner's wicket Australia were going to win, it was through Maxwell's brilliance and the game was gone when he walked out to bat. Waste. It's like sending Buttler in to bat at that stage. No sense.

4) Adressed in point 3.

You make a very smart point about calling in another batter. I think their problem is that Marsh and Khawaja are very similar. I honestly think, that the best move for Australia is to have Behrendoff in the XI and drop Stoinis. Carey 6, NCL 7 and Cummins 8. I just don't get this obsession of teams batting deep. You need bowlers. They are going to win you the World Cup. Australia's problem was compounded today by the fact that Zampa got clattered. But, he's quality in general. If Australia include Behrendoff as well, I will say they pretty much have the best attack of the lot. Open with Behrendoff and use Starc in short bursts. You have Cummins first change and in the middle along with NCL and Zampa.

Users who are viewing this thread