India in England/Ireland/Scotland

Well, I think that's a touch uncharitable to Ryan Sidebottom. I think he'd make the England 11 now even in a full-strength attack because he's shown his skill and endurance in this match. Tremlett also seems to be improving so you might be having a new good first-string attack.

Will Harmison and Simon Jones come back now? Time will tell... But it would be very hard to drop Tremlett and Sidebottom at the moment from an English attack. James Anderson was inconsistent and probably didn't seem to be at his best in this match though.

Which bowler will you drop out of this 11 now... If Hoggard makes it back in time.

As good as Sidebottom, Tremlett and Anderson have been, if Harmison, Hoggard and Simon Jones are back and match-fit, they'll definately get the nod.

I think Tremlett has been a relevation in these two tests, Kev. Even when he has got it wrong he's not been expensive. That's 10 wickets in 2 games now, his eco is going to be something like just over 2 an over with a decent average of under 20 (iirc).
It's ok, you dont need to convince me :p I obviously didn't really think about my answer given that I posted it about 2mins after the question was posted. Ok so then its a choice between Sidebottom and Anderson, shame because I think they've both done well of late. Sidebottom has extra variation in being a leftie plus he does seem to know which way up to hold the bat (with his 25 in 26 balls). Whereas I feel Anderson is probably bowling as well as he has in a long time and 20 wickets in the match is more important than getting a few extra runs with the (rather long) tail. So I guess it comes down to who you think will take more wickets Hoggy, Sidey or Andy(son)

There does that sound like enough fence sitting to you ;)

As good as Sidebottom, Tremlett and Anderson have been, if Harmison, Hoggard and Simon Jones are back and match-fit, they'll definately get the nod.

I think that in this current series, it's better to go with the match-fit players.

In the future, who can tell? The three bowlers you mentioned have been around for a while now, but they always seem to pick up some kind of injury or the other. They never seem to be playing regularly.

A great win for India.
To be fair, England should have won the Lords test and we`d have gone to the Oval with the series tied 1-1.

What this proves is that India are no more poor travellers.
This cricinfo article makes for good reading if you are an Indian fan.
India have won 16 overseas tests since 2000, and only Australia have more overseas test wins in that period.
And what is more surprising i that we only have 14 home wins during that period !

We now have a seam attack that can make use of helpful conditions.
To know about the strength of the seam attack, we only need to have a look at the guys waiting in the sidelines like Munaf, Irfan, VRV, Bose and Ishanth Sharma.
We have decent backup fast bowlers there.

I don`t think that this attack will do all that well in Australia though and we might need the services of Munaf in Australia.
Munaf needs to get more agression in his game and stop giving a lazy impression.

Coming back to the Oval test, India need to keep their feet firmly on the ground as we have a habit of losing the tests which follow our overseas wins.

I do not realize the point which commentators make about England not having Simon Jones in the lineup.
He has not played a test since 2005 and that is a long time ago.
England must now get used to playing without Jones if they haven`t already.

Anderson also brings some top notch fielding with him. It is a tough one, as I think essentially Sidebottom and Anderson provide pretty much the same to a side. Also Hoggard is, and always has been, a step above them and one of our few geniunely and consistently world class bowlers.

Indeed, we've had plenty of practice without Jones. The person we are really missing is Freddie, The whole balance of the side is totally different without him. Plus nobody would be throwing Jelly Beans with him around, he'd have scoffed the lot!

Last edited:
Are Harmy and Hoggard injured? Or are they just being rested? I've been away for too long :p

Nah, Freddie actually prefers those little chewy cola bottles Kev; Always keeps a pack in his kitbag apparently!

I'd really like Hoggard to be fit just so we can see the legend in action again. No one has a better appeal than Hoggy's floppy mopped hairdryer treatment.

In which case you are correct then.

Although I do miss Ashley Giles' sunglass clad appeal/marriage proposal cross

Users who are viewing this thread