India in England/Ireland/Scotland

No, you're right. But winning a test is pointless if you don't win the series. Winning a battle is pointless if you lose the war.

No, you're right. But winning a test is pointless if you don't win the series. Winning a battle is pointless if you lose the war.
It may be pointless in the context of the series, but it means a lot historically speaking. Winning a battle is pointless if you lose the war. Winning a war is pointless if you lose your reign.

Analogy doesn't work. :D

Yes, but otherwise they'd have lost series instead of drawing them. Are you saying that if England win the next match it's pointless ?

You're being very vague. What 'point' are you talking about here? If you mean player income, then in India, with the new rules, even a single test win is important to help the players' income. If you're talking about rankings, then each game is important b/c a team that loses 0-3 will be more hurt by the point system that they use in the rankings than a team that loses 1-2. Also, if you're talking about team morale from winning/losing, surely each game is important, as the morale in a very close series is much higher from the losing team than in the occurrance of a whitewash. Finally, if you're talking about the glory of winning --- years from now, people going into their classic cricket books and looking at winners/losers, single test wins and series wins both become important.

In every scenario I can think of, winning a test is important, not pointless. However, winning the series is even more important. With your logic, if a team is down 2-0 in a three match series, they should just play for fun and not try at all in the last game bc its 'pointless'.

Last edited:
In every scenario I can think of, winning a test is important, not pointless. However, winning the series is even more important. With your logic, if a team is down 2-0 in a three match series, they should just play for fun and not try at all in the last game bc its 'pointless'.
Or you know, realistically if a team is down 3-0 in a five match series. :D I'm sure that team wouldn't have found the remaining test matches pointless. Especially if they built up to an ODI series.

I have to agree that winning a test is of not much use if you end up losing/drawing the series. Especially if you win to take a lead only to throw it away in the end.

Unfortunately for India, this has been in the story in recent times. I dont know what it is, overconfidence, premature celebration, or just the inability to carry the momentum forward, but you very rarely see India play well throughout an entire series. How many times have India won a series 2 or 3-0? (please dont count Zimbabwe and Bangladesh).

Winning a test is important, even if you lose the series. Purely for physcological reasons. If you've beaten a side, you know you can beat them. Next time you come to play them, you know you're good enough to compete against them. It's all in the head. IT's the biggest difference between Amateur cricket and proffessional cricket.

england coach wants the stump mics to be turn down. why so england players can sledge more and not get caught. sri lanka a are 33-1 power gets the opening wicket

england coach wants the stump mics to be turn down. why so england players can sledge more and not get caught. sri lanka a are 33-1 power gets the opening wicket

Yeah I found it pretty pathetic that Moore's taking their side rather than disciplining them, or atleast, that's what it appears from the articles. He said the Jellybean incident was blown up and shouldn't be looked into with too much analysis.

Yes, but otherwise they'd have lost series instead of drawing them. Are you saying that if England win the next match it's pointless ?

Well not as much as say winning the first test of say 3 and then losing the next 2. But what if we thrash India at The Oval, it'd make it seem pointless. And I know which point the Indian media will use about the test series if that did happen.

Get caught at what, Zub? Sledging isn't illegal. It's not as though he's asking for them to be turned down so we can turn nasty. He's asking for them to be turned down so the sledging stays on the field, where it should be.

I'm not saying winning a test match is completely pointless but in context it is if you don't carry on the performance throughout the series.

Well not as much as say winning the first test of say 3 and then losing the next 2. But what if we thrash India at The Oval, it'd make it seem pointless. And I know which point the Indian media will use about the test series if that did happen.

Get caught at what, Zub? Sledging isn't illegal. It's not as though he's asking for them to be turned down so we can turn nasty. He's asking for them to be turned down so the sledging stays on the field, where it should be.

I'm not saying winning a test match is completely pointless but in context it is if you don't carry on the performance throughout the series.

Winning a test abroad but failing to win the series may seem pointless if you look only from a result angle.
But if you look at how India used to perform in overseas tests in the 90s, you`ll realize that every overseas test win against a good side is a one to cherish.

If it's not appropriate on television, it's not appropriate on the cricket field. Why should sledging stay on the field ?

Ranadeb Bose is doing well in the warm up match. Will he replace Sreesanth? I don't think so...but I've never seem Bose play.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread