India in England/Ireland/Scotland

I never said outright favourites.

I said favourites.

Don't misquote me.
I won't be misquoting you and other fans when the series is over and it's time to dig back through the initial posts and rub it in your faces. :D Perhaps not you, but other England fans on this forum expected it to be a walkover for England despite losing their top bowlers. More than a few of these same people expected India to fall over as weakly and bowl as appallingly as West Indies.

And while England were favorites, I think the only thing that kept them that shred ahead of India after the injuries were noted was that they were playing at home and that their batting lineup was untarnished. In fact, I think India were quite happy to take the tag of underdogs in because this put far less pressure on them.

I won't be misquoting you and other fans when the series is over and it's time to dig back through the initial posts and rub it in your faces. :D Perhaps not you, but other England fans on this forum expected it to be a walkover for England despite losing their top bowlers. More than a few of these same people expected India to fall over as weakly and bowl as appallingly as West Indies.

And while England were favorites, I think the only thing that kept them that shred ahead of India after the injuries were noted was that they were playing at home and that their batting lineup was untarnished. In fact, I think India were quite happy to take the tag of underdogs in because this put far less pressure on them.

When teams are as poor at ODI cricket as we are, there is extra pressure to win the Test series

When teams are as poor at ODI cricket as we are, there is extra pressure to win the Test series
Don't worry, India aren't too fantastic at ODIs either, I am sure both teams will be quite evenly matched come the ODI series.

Yeah... I'm not sure if you misread my post. I meant India had less pressure on them because they were not expected to do too well by the English. And most Indians don't really follow test cricket that much.

You beat us 5-1 last time. That could be an indication of things to come.

I just hope your bowlers don't fire.

The one thing, though, we may have as an advantage is better fielders.

Don't worry, India aren't too fantastic at ODIs either, I am sure both teams will be quite evenly matched come the ODI series.
I agree. I think the hopelessness portrayed by some English fans is just an effort to make the victories taste even sweeter. :D Although they did lose to West Indies. However, ODI cricket is far more up-and-down by near-even teams than test cricket.

Yeah... I'm not sure if you misread my post. I meant India had less pressure on them because they were not expected to do too well by the English. And most Indians don't really follow test cricket that much.

I did understand.

I was talking about the pressure balance which, was heavier on our end.

Didn't we play the Natwest Series last time? That was a pretty thrilling final. If you're referring to India's home series, we have dominated pretty much everyone at home pre-World Cup. This included a 5-1 (or maybe 6-1) cleanup of the Sri Lankans... the best any side did was 2-2 by the Saffas. However, overseas it's a far different story, though we did look in good touch recently.

Also, it looks like we're going in with a lot more youngsters in the ODI's, which means are fielding will not be as bad. Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dravid and Munaf will still be there but they will be complemented by brisk movers like Karthik, Uthappa, Gambhir and others.

I agree. I think the hopelessness portrayed by some English fans is just an effort to make the victories taste even sweeter. :D Although they did lose to West Indies. However, ODI cricket is far more up-and-down by near-even teams than test cricket.

I hope we win the first game and the rest are rained out.

In your face! (if that is the hypothetical result) :D

Any ODI series victory would taste very sweet for a England fan

-Hopefully

-I hope we bring different bowlers throughout the series and hope the squad named is all we have for the whole time or Zaheer Khan and RP Singh may burn out.

-Definately, India's fielding pales in comparison to England's. Especially since Munaf Patel is in the team.:)

I did understand.

I was talking about the pressure balance which, was heavier on our end.
Of course it is. Just as India were expected to wash up a depleted English team when they toured us last. Didn't quite turn out that way because many players didn't play up to potential, possibly due to pressure.

Didn't we play the Natwest Series last time? That was a pretty thrilling final. If you're referring to India's home series, we have dominated pretty much everyone at home pre-World Cup. This included a 5-1 (or maybe 6-1) cleanup of the Sri Lankans... the best any side did was 2-2 by the Saffas. However, overseas it's a far different story, though we did look in good touch recently.

Also, it looks like we're going in with a lot more youngsters in the ODI's, which means are fielding will not be as bad. Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dravid and Munaf will still be there but they will be complemented by brisk movers like Karthik, Uthappa, Gambhir and others.

Last time in England, we won 2-1 but that was only 3 ODIs and you could have turned it around had it been longer.

It's easier to be pessimistic as defeat won't hurt as much :)

It would mean about the same as the CBS was. A pleasing but frustrating display which in no way makes up for the embarassing test performances

Of course it is. Just as India were expected to wash up a depleted English team when they toured us last. Didn't quite turn out that way because many players didn't play up to potential, possibly due to pressure.

At least you didn't lose

-I hope we bring different bowlers throughout the series and hope the squad named is all we have for the whole time or Zaheer Khan and RP Singh may burn out.
The bowling line-up does look a little bare. Agarkar comes back in for Sreesanth and Munaf also comes in but I guess we will be going 3-1 with Agarkar, Munaf and Zaheer and then Piyush. Definitely expect Powar to get more than a couple of games. Batting line-up looks tight. I'm really interested to see if India go with a 6-5 line-up provided that Piyush is expected to be handy with the bat.

Users who are viewing this thread