India in England/Ireland/Scotland

That's the point I was getting across :rolleyes:

Why are they so much better than ours?
Gee..... Why is Pietersen better than Bell? I don't know. He was born that way? :D

There is enough quality to reproduce that form. If we could get a consistent and firing bowling line-up that is.
There is enough quality in almost any test playing country to reproduce that form. I would actually like to see how England would perform with a couple of their main guys out and a couple in. For example, if this line-up had featured 2 of Flintoff, Hoggard, Harmison and Jones. I think the real measure of the side would come from how well the second-string performs under the guidance of the first-string.

Wikipedia? The site where the public can freely edit their articles? Gimme a better source.
Actually, the site where an article without a source gets removed pretty quick. And you can feel free to browse the history of changes if you feel like the article has been "tampered" with.

i think todays england bowlers are just as good as the ashes 2005 bowlers but just are not as consistent as they were

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes! Cant disagree. BUT, your point?
I just wanted to use the word utility. :p

I think my point was along the lines of we gained more from having Dravid as captain and Ganguly out of the team. :/ Actually I don't know what my point was. I just know Ganguly was not good enough for the team then and you cannot have a captain who's not in the top XI.

Gee..... Why is Pietersen better than Bell? I don't know. He was born that way? :D

There is enough quality in almost any test playing country to reproduce that form. I would actually like to see how England would perform with a couple of their main guys out and a couple in. For example, if this line-up had featured 2 of Flintoff, Hoggard, Harmison and Jones. I think the real measure of the side would come from how well the second-string performs under the guidance of the first-string.

That's a good point.

So, was I wrong in thinking that England at home were favourites? :rolleyes:

It's interesting that you don't rate our victory against Pakistan seeing as they beat us 2-0 in Pakistan.
No, you were wrong in thinking they were outright favorites. Especially when the players began to drop out. Rankings mean nothing to people making their debuts, do they?

The victory over Pakistan was pretty conclusive but I think they are far worse tourists than India are. This is just a grope in the darkness though, because I can't be bothered to look their stats up.

No, you were wrong in thinking they were outright favorites. Especially when the players began to drop out. Rankings mean nothing to people making their debuts, do they?

The victory over Pakistan was pretty conclusive but I think they are far worse tourists than India are. This is just a grope in the darkness though, because I can't be bothered to look their stats up.

I never said outright favourites.

I said favourites.

Don't misquote me.

well anderson as the potentional to swing it like hoggard and tremlett can bounce it almost as high as harmison

But having potential and converting that potential into the performance is a different thing.Anderson is inconsistent becoz he is in and out of the team.

One more thing I wanted to say regarding the Matt Prior situation. I think 33 byes is unfair to judge him by--it's not as if he was letting a lot of balls go through his gloves to the boundary. 4 byes does not happen regularly and it is more often than not the bowler's fault. How can you expect to pitch the ball past the line of leg-stump, get "in-swing" at about 85 MPH and expect the keeper to collect that? I think judging a keeper by his byes is a pretty incorrect way to go about prejudices. :p

On the other hand, his catching had a lot to desire. I, for one, do not understand why Ian Chappell considers himself an expert on every facet of cricket. Was he a keeper sometime in his life? This is an honestly ignorant question

i think todays england bowlers are just as good as the ashes 2005 bowlers but just are not as consistent as they were

No.

Flintoff-----> Collingwood
Harmison----> Tremlett
Jones----> Anderson
Hoggard----> Sidebottom
Giles---->Panesar

One of those bowlers is better than their 2005 counterpart, that is Panesar. The fact is, England are using an in-experienced (at test level) bowling team, where the most experienced test match bowler only has 19 test matches under his belt (Panesar). It has nothing to do with consistency, its just class and experience. Flintoff, Harmison, Jones, Hoggard and Panesar would have done a much better job of bowling India out for a decent total, but they arent available so we've had to go with the best that we have. I feel Caddick could have been considered instead of Tremlett, he has a wealth of experience and talent, and has the reputation of getting wickets on flat tracks. At the end of the day, England have gone with what they've gone with and its not worked first innings. England have purely been outplayed so far in the past 2 tests and India deserve to walk away with a series win. However, the sorts of comments that have been posted tonight have just been purely stupid. The discussion has become personal, fans insulting eachother and making petty arguments. I dont want this thread locked, so just give it a rest boys.

Users who are viewing this thread