India in England/Ireland/Scotland

Putting aside all the non-cricket activities at Trent Bridge, you utilised the green top amazingly on that first day when in previous years you might not have had the seam attack to do that.
We utilized the swing more than the pitch, really. More wickets fell to swing than seam if I remember correctly. In fact, more wickets probably fell due to umpire error than due to seam! :p

KP, Cook and Colly will score the majority of the runs i feel, although Vaughan has been in good touch as of late. This test is far from over, its not India's victory yet, not in the test anyway. The series is theirs though.

Last edited by a moderator:
We utilized the swing more than the pitch, really. More wickets fell to swing than seam if I remember correctly. In fact, more wickets probably fell due to umpire error than due to seam! :p

You mean Ian Howard, because Steve Bucknor did nothing wrong...:rolleyes:

Happy with the team, not happy with Dravid. Why should I be happy with Dravid? Just because the team is doing well? I have never been happy with Dravid's captaincy. For me, its in this order (from ascending to descending)

Saurav Ganguly
Mohammed Azharrudin
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
I think Dravid's utility to the team as a batsman outweighed Ganguly's utility to the team when he was captain (esp. the months leading up to his sacking).

There was no reason to declare at that time. Just because you declare when someone nears a milestone doesn't mean its a good decision. Honestly, I don't like Dravid's captaincy.
If I remember correctly, Tendulkar was given plenty of time to get to his double but still refused to go after it with any sort of conviction. The declaration looks especially raw when it is presented statistically like this, but at the time I did not find the decision very ordinary.

Why are India's tail-enders so much more capable of playing the straight ball and pretty much everything else batting-wise than ours?
... Because they're better? :rolleyes:

I liked the little glance Monty gave Sreesanth when he got him out :D
Well if I was Sree, I would have said, "Nice job with your two tailend wickets." ;)

Last edited:
i dont know why everybody is slacking dravid off, he's done nothing wrong, its not the captains fault if the bowlers arent bowling well and batsmen arent performing except from himself, the captain only decides who bowls, the field (okay thats a big one), the batting order maybe and declerations. from what ive seen he hasnt done anything wrong, i mean you cant blame it on the captain, can you?

I don't think Matt meant to offend you. I think he means with all the teams we have conquered at home - the likes of Australia, Saffa and such - to come undone against a team few people gave a chance is surprising.
I think the inability to beat Sri Lanka (it was a drawn series, right?) was enough to show that England's rise to the top was a combination of all their players hitting form at the same time and other teams starting to show cracks. Mind you, if any other team hit form as consistently as England during that period, they would have been as dominant. Credit to them for being able to manage that, but I believe it was a period which is unlikely to be repeated.

... Because they're better? :rolleyes:

Well if I was Sree, I would have said, "Nice job with your two tailend wickets." ;)

That's the point I was getting across :rolleyes:

Why are they so much better than ours?

I see Khan being your main threat.

I'm sure Sreesanth wouldn't have cared about where Monty bats if he had got him out

I think the inability to beat Sri Lanka (it was a drawn series, right?) was enough to show that England's rise to the top was a combination of all their players hitting form at the same time and other teams starting to show cracks. Mind you, if any other team hit form as consistently as England during that period, they would have been as dominant. Credit to them for being able to manage that, but I believe it was a period which is unlikely to be repeated.

It was Murali against England in the final Test to be fair. He is unplayable on a dusty pitch and our batsmen never stood a chance.

Of course, it's England's form that has got them to No. 2.

If we had been playing like this for 6/7 years, we would be challenging Australia for 1st position. As it is, our number 2 spot is under threat.

There is enough quality to reproduce that form. If we could get a consistent and firing bowling line-up that is.

Last edited:

I'm sure Sreesanth wouldn't have cared about where Monty bats if he had got him out

I have to agree Will.
England's tail as far as batting is bottom along with Bangladesh.

They just cannot hit a straight delivery.

Where's our Hoggy? :crying

It was Murali against England in the final Test to be fair. He is unplayable on a dusty pitch and our batsmen never stood a chance.

Of course, it's England's form that has got them to No. 2.

If we had been playing like this for 6/7 years, we would be challenging Australia for 1st position. As it is, our number 2 spot is under threat.

There is enough quality to reproduce that form. If we could get a consistent and firing bowling line-up that is.

In my opinion England could be a major threat to australia if they had the same bowling line up sd in 2005, with the exception of giles. its the injuries that are holding england back, otherwise i couldnt really imagine hoggy, flintoff or sp jones going through a bad patch, but weve all seen harmison...:rolleyes:

Well Hoggard can defend and just about it.
He can really make any runs of his ownas he just looks for a top order player to bat around him.

Test rankings. Take a look. One series doesn't make you a better team. India have played delightful cricket and have outplayed us since Lords and I am in no way saying they don't deserve this series victory, I am merely expressing my disappointment at getting beat by a lesser side to us. Now if you want to carry on arguing then there are plenty of walls for you to talk to, so please, put your dummy firmly in place and be gracious in victory please.

Thats your opinion. You came to India and couldnt win a series. We came to your own den, and you still couldnt win a series. If you dont have the top players fit, its your problem really. Part of being a good team is having the right players fit at the right time. As of now, India are a better team than England.

And I quote from wikipedia:

The media noted at the time that the decision had apparently been made by Sourav Ganguly,[39] and Ganguly himself later admitted that it had been a mistake.[40] The wording of the statement indicating that it had not been Dravid's call.

So its a blur to who's decision it really was.

Wikipedia? The site where the public can freely edit their articles? Gimme a better source.

Last edited:
In my opinion England could be a major threat to australia if they had the same bowling line up sd in 2005, with the exception of giles. its the injuries that are holding england back, otherwise i couldnt really imagine hoggy, flintoff or sp jones going through a bad patch, but weve all seen harmison...:rolleyes:

:eek: how many times we have to hear the same thing again and again."If" england had 2005's ashes attack then they will do this,that.Common get over it,its 2007.England always makes excuses when they perform badly.;)

Users who are viewing this thread