India in England/Ireland/Scotland

We won't be carrying him though as he is good enough now. What i'm saying is if he's given a run in the side he will improve from being a good bowler into a very good bowler.

I agree about Anderson playing, I especially agree that his attitude seems to have changed for the better. Also he has a better First Class average than Broad.

However in an ideal world I'd pick Plunkett - he clearly is a more prodigous bowler than the others which you see with those absolute crackers he bowls every so often. Also his batting is better than the others. However he doesn't seem able to hold it together for a whole Test Match so for now I wouldn't pick him. Also he doesn't deserve to be picked based upon the Windies series.

We won't be carrying him though as he is good enough now. What i'm saying is if he's given a run in the side he will improve from being a good bowler into a very good bowler.

His bowling is too inconsistent for my liking.

Did Cricinfo Mess up?

I'm following the game through cricinfo's live commentary. This makes no sense. Follow Karthik's score as I show you:

At the end of the first over, it read:
W Jaffer 0* (2b) G Onions 1-0-7-0
KD Karthik 7* (4b 1x4)

0.6 Onions to Jaffer, no run, good length around off stump this time, Jaffer opens the face and fends towards point
0.5 Onions to Jaffer, no run, good length on middle, Jaffer gets behind the line of the ball and defends
0.4 Onions to Karthik, 1 run, maintains the same line on middle and leg, worked off the pads to the on side
0.3 Onions to Karthik, FOUR, Onions drifts down leg, Karthik moves across and nudges it down fine leg for an easy boundary
0.2 Onions to Karthik, no run, short of a length on off stump, Karthik inside edges it onto his pads
0.1 Onions to Karthik, 2 runs, banged in on middle and leg, Karthik works it to the on side, off the mark
Karthik and Jaffer are walking out. Game on!

------

Look at what happens to Karthik's score at the second over:
End of over 2 (1 run) - Indians 8/0 (250 runs required)

W Jaffer 0* (7b) TT Bresnan 1-0-1-0
KD Karthik 4* (5b 1x4)

1.6 Bresnan to Jaffer, no run, full in length outside off, bit of away movement, left alone
1.5 Bresnan to Jaffer, no run, fuller in length, teasing jaffer outside the off stump, left alone
1.4 Bresnan to Jaffer, no run, good line around the off stump, cramping him for room, defended back to the bowler
1.3 Bresnan to Jaffer, no run, just outside off stump, left alone
1.2 Bresnan to Jaffer, no run, sliding down leg, a little too wide for Jaffer to get bat on it and flick it down to fine leg
1.1 Bresnan to Karthik, 1 run, gentle inswinger on the pads, tucked away off the hips to fine leg

It makes no sense! It's still like that - uncorrected - and its the end of the 6th over now...:mad: ...it didnt say that it was byes or legbyes so it makes no sense

Also, they need to get rid of Sharma. No balls ftl.

Last edited:
Karthick is batting superbly. 47* off just 39 balls?

If only he had some one like Sehwag in good form, this would have challenged this target badly. Karthick is becoming a huge asset to the team now. Cant believe this boy has turned the tables so much ever since it was said he will be finished after Dhoni came in and ruled.

Jaffer seems to be playing for his place. Typical Indian trait?

true, he's changed his fortune pretty well.

It will be a hard time for Dravid and co. to choose the team, but I guess he'll go ahead with Laxman and Jaffer/Gambhir. The problem is, India has failed to take 10 wickets in each innings so far and with four bowlers, it might be a problem.

They might even go for a 6 batsmen, 5 bowler line-up, if the Lords pitch is a batting beauty.

Wait? So Jaffer should just get out for nothing again, then? That makes no sense. He's a fine player in my opinion, gets big scores.

I agree about Anderson playing, I especially agree that his attitude seems to have changed for the better. Also he has a better First Class average than Broad.

However in an ideal world I'd pick Plunkett - he clearly is a more prodigous bowler than the others which you see with those absolute crackers he bowls every so often. Also his batting is better than the others. However he doesn't seem able to hold it together for a whole Test Match so for now I wouldn't pick him. Also he doesn't deserve to be picked based upon the Windies series.

Broad will a be more ideal to replace Harmison who hits the pitch and will move the ball down the slope at Lords.
Three swing bowlers in Hoggard, Sidebottom and Anderson is risky if the ball stops swinging especially against this top quality Indian batting line up.

Broad will add to the batting also as we saw in ODI series against the West Indies.

Anderson is not a swing bowler. He does get the ball to swing but he is not a swing bowler.

Why is the indian bowling so crappy right now? It's funny because when the batting is good, the bowling is bad...and when the bowling is decent, the batting is bad...

Why is the indian bowling so crappy right now? It's funny because when the batting is good, the bowling is bad...and when the bowling is decent, the batting is bad...
To be fair, the pitch wasn't exactly catered to bowling. Add to that we were playing Ishant Sharma who I think would struggle to be a regular for his Ranji team (though I don't think Delhi, where he's from, has that many quality pace bowlers). So it was basically Zaheer, Sreesanth and Powar. Powar won't be playing in the test match. Zaheer and Sreesanth were a bit expensive, but I expect the batsmen were going after them to dent their confidence, given it was just a tour match and a batting beauty.

Not to mention we should have Kumble back in the test. So we would be looking at Zaheer, Sreesanth, Kumble and RP. I think if RP can hold up and the pitch offers something to the bowlers, we should put in a better effort than we did here.

You also have to remember the golden rule that warm-ups count for very little. The very purpose of them is for that very reason; To warm the players up.

You also have to remember the golden rule that warm-ups count for very little. The very purpose of them is for that very reason; To warm the players up.
Yup, you can see how seriously we took it when we gave Karthik a bowl for four overs. Although, to be fair, the match was drifting aimlessly.

Anil Kumble is going to be crucial in this series. Sreesanth and Zaheer are good bowlers but England have played and handled far better ones so the spinner becomes very important.

I wouldnt get too carried away by the warmup game apart from the fact that Andrew Strauss looks have got back his touch. Tendulkar looks deadly already and one can relish the battle between him and Monty Panesar.

Harmison's bounce is always going to trouble the Indian batsmen, so his absence would be a big blow for England.

So who's India's top wicketkeeper now? Looks like Karthik has actually pushed Dhoni and I think he's more important to the team now. However, I feel that Dhoni's keeping has been very good, and Karthik's fielding has been excellent. Dhoni played well today. If I was Dravid I'd pick Dhoni and Karthik in the side.

However, it'll be hard to drop Yuvraj who's been very good too. Laxman - decent batsman, but he's a poor fielder and I'm not sure about his fitness. I think he's past it.

Users who are viewing this thread