India in England/Ireland/Scotland

Having read Sussex captain, Chris Adams's article in the paper yesterday, he seems to think if there isn't any swing Sreesanth will fall apart. Same with Zaheer and that your bowling is essentially just Kumble. He also seems to think that, Laxman, Ganguly, Dhoni, Jaffer are suseptable to the short quick ball. All for different reasons but all suseptable.

Ganguly is susceptable to the short ball but the fact remains that he can survive against it since he still averages 40 odd in games after his weakness was discovered.

True, Dhoni cannot attack off the short ball but he hardly falls to it often. I have not seen much of Jaffer lately but I am sure that the full ball has been his weaknesss in England not the short one. Laxman on the other hand prefers facing spin to pace but his weakness against the short ball is nothing too severe.

Sreesanth has a pinpoint straight seam which will provide uneven bounce on any surface and with the cloudy conditions of England; the ball will swing for at least the first 20 overs of the ball which is plenty.

Anderson is bowling quite quick and accurately these days, that is head and shoulders above Harmison and Broad. He also swings the ball early which will be important to get Jaffer out early, if not out very early, he will make a 50 or 100.

We'll miss Harmy in this test (maybe the whole series), he showed lots of improvement in the last test or two against the WIndies and was looking in decent form.

I am skeptcial of these so called improvements Harmison apparently made, he still bowled loosely, just not as loosely. He was slower and seemed to be putting the ball on the spot rather than bowling it, a short term solution if you ask me.

If Broad plays, they will be tested by him becuase he would get the ball to move down the slope in which the Indians are not used to.

Having read Sussex captain, Chris Adams's article in the paper yesterday, he seems to think if there isn't any swing Sreesanth will fall apart. Same with Zaheer and that your bowling is essentially just Kumble. He also seems to think that, Laxman, Ganguly, Dhoni, Jaffer are suseptable to the short quick ball. All for different reasons but all suseptable.

Wow! Chris Adams seems to have figured out the entire Indian team in four days.

I am skeptcial of these so called improvements Harmison apparently made, he still bowled loosely, just not as loosely. He was slower and seemed to be putting the ball on the spot rather than bowling it, a short term solution if you ask me.
Harmison is much of a has been, talent is there but I doubt that he'll ever get back to his old form

Remember that he was bowling with a hernia that needed an op. Also to say he bowled loosely in the last test is unfair, I rarely remember him going down the leg side.

Well, if it's that simple, according to Chris Adams, it's really interesting that this team has been anywhere near competitive for about 5 years! By his reasoning, I figure that all the English batsmen are susceptible to a 90mph reverse-swinging yorker. How often are they going to get out by it? Maybe often. Are they going to stop scoring runs? No.

True, Dhoni cannot attack off the short ball but he hardly falls to it often. I have not seen much of Jaffer lately but I am sure that the full ball has been his weaknesss in England not the short one. Laxman on the other hand prefers facing spin to pace but his weakness against the short ball is nothing too severe.
Jaffer's main problem is that at the beginning of his innings, it looks like he has no clue where his off-stump is. This causes him to leave a few good balls, be a tad slow on his shots, and grope around for balls on and around off-stump.

Sreesanth has a pinpoint straight seam which will provide uneven bounce on any surface and with the cloudy conditions of England; the ball will swing for at least the first 20 overs of the ball which is plenty.
I think Hoggard will be more affected than Sreesanth if there is no swing.

If Broad plays, they will be tested by him becuase he would get the ball to move down the slope in which the Indians are not used to.
Ganguly scored a century on debut at Lord's in 1996. I am also fairly certain he wasn't used to the Lord's pitch. Of course the slope is a challenge, but I think most of our batsmen are experienced enough international cricketers that they won't fall flat on their face in a situation like this. I'm sure we will have a bit of trouble with the new ball, but I don't think we are going to see any "run-through-the-lineups" from Broad.

Wow! Chris Adams seems to have figured out the entire Indian team in four days.
Surprising he doesn't get selected for the national team, huh? Seems to be a smart fellow, that guy.

Last edited:
Sreesanth, to me has a fantasic seam postion which would get the ball to move off the seam.
If he seams it in then again the slope at lords will give him a major boost.

Broad has got used to the slope seeing as he managed to get 3 wickets in a ODI against the West Indies at lords.
You can never with this slope, Glenn McGrath made the ball go sideways and keep low during the 2005 Ashes series, Broad is the same type of bowler who will hit the wicket and get that movement down the slope.
Your batsmen will have to beware of both those factors.

Last edited:
I think Hoggard will be more affected than Sreesanth if there is no swing.

Hoggy's proved that he can do the business when it's not swinging, he uses his cutters to good effect, also Hoggard and Sreesanth are in different leagues.

As for Chris Adams comments, can I see the article please?

I wonder if Dhoni will play in the next match. They might replace him with Yuvraj.

Personally, I feel your best option would be to give KKD the gloves in the test. You need the extra batsman, just to make sure that you totally bat us out of the game to a position where your worst result would be a draw. As I'm not sure on your ability to bowl us out twice, barring Kumble of course.

I just hope the Lords groundsman takes note of the last three Test matches at Lords; They've all been absolute deadpans. Whereas if you look at the Lords pitch from 2005 when the Australian's trounced us, there was always something in it for both batsmen and bowlers. Nowadays it's pretty much whoever bats first puts on 550, the other team follows suit and the game ends in a dull draw. These days it seems that if you don't take early wickets bowling first at Lords, then you don't take wickets full stop.

Users who are viewing this thread