India in England Jun-Sept 2014

I have never been a fan of Ishant Sharma but he has bowled his heart out on this shit surface. Well bowled Kumar as well. Shami was bad.

----------

I haven't seen Shami bowl a single delivery over 85 MPH in this test which is surprising because he usually bowls in 140 consistently.

Agreed, Shami's been quite woeful, the plan to bowl short to Anderson obviously didn't work because of the slowness of the pitch, but he's been poor through the innings, and I fear the drop in speeds has got to be because of how much we've worked him the past year, he's played every Test, every ODI and every T20I...

Dhawan still pushing at outside the off stump. Clearly hasn't seen the reply of his first inning dismissal.

yes; lets blame the pitch rather than the bowlers that spent 4 hours try to get the number 11 out

yes; lets blame the pitch rather than the bowlers that spent 4 hours try to get the number 11 out

I won't blame the bowlers. Both the sides tried hard to break that last wicket partnerships but you need some assistance from the pitch to motivate a bowler after he has bowled 35 overs in a day.

Still, number 11 is a number 11! We should have had a lead of well over a hundred tbh. Well played Root and Anderson though.

India did exactly what England did at Headingley though: get the wickets by pitching it up and then suddenly go short to the tailender and letting them get easy runs without the risk of bowled/lbw. Pretty much; they bowled the way that England bowled the entire first innings; which won't work on a low, slow pitch. I'm not saying that the pitch is good by any means, but you shouldn't go around blaming the pitch for a 200 run partnership for the 10th wicket!

Yeah and 9 out of those 10 decisions can be gotten right with the use of a simple replay seen by the third umpire ... and there are replays from all angles for all decisions anyway. All that the third umpire has to do is look at the replays and use his walkie to get back to the umpire on the field, like the Prior dismissal today. Simple and the howlers still get eliminated.

The whole point is no one is saying let the howlers stand, and being anti-DRS is not the same as being anti-error correction. The way DRS sets about correcting errors is not sufficient.

Sure DRS get (probably) 9 on 10 right, but those are pedestian ones that a simple replay would get right anyway that is the point I am making. Remove DRS, the whole system, the way tech is used. No captains challenging umpires, no only 2 challenges per innings, (as if the third howler doesnt matter), and so on just do away with this mess of a system. Instead the third Umpire auto reviews all calls and if he feels there is one that the umpires got wrong, then just use the walkie tell the umpire to reverse it and be done with it.

A much simpler system and we still get no howlers. Plain and simple. I don't see how ppl still argue for DRS to be honest. A much simpler system can get rid of the howlers with much more consistency.

I'm not sure if you even believe yourself...how will simple replays get LBWs right? Or a tight catch, which requires HotSpot or Snicko?

We must move ahead with technology, it helps games, just look at the last series with Sri Lanka, a great example of how well technology was used. Simple replays just aren't good enough, everyone knows that.

----------

Also, this looks like this will be the series of stationary captains, Dhoni was so mediocre, allowing the game to just float along without trying to influence it at all. Cook's been slightly better but that's not saying much.

There needs to be a push to get wickets rather than get given wickets.

And Cook is using Ali horrendously, he has picked up a wicket and didn't get another over and I know he went for 12 but give him a better field, allow him to contain rather than go out and try and get wickets. There are numerous possible roles for a spinner but Cook doesn't seem to know them :rolleyes

As if England don't already play a dour enough brand of cricket they're now producing awful pitches too.

If anything kills test cricket, it'll be a suicide rather than a murder.

It looks like it's series to watch who has more pessimist fans.

- However I will try to not look so pessimist here, look at the bright side, we took this match to 5 days!

Users who are viewing this thread