India in Sri Lanka 2009 (5 ODIs)

Dadaji is getting young everyday though. Curious case of Munaf Patel :rtfl

Tbh, the current line up did extremely well for India and there is no reason why Munaf should earn a place over the current three bowlers. He should remain in the squad though, pending an injury or loss of form to one of the bowlers. The batsmen worked well, considering the poor decisions that went against them. I am starting to feel that perhaps Tendulkar should drop down to the middle order at four - this is not where he is strongest, but maybe the partnership of Gambhir/Sehwag is worth it; it is, in my opinion. I am sure Tendulkar can still score runs at the top of the order, but the way that Gambhir and Sehwag compliment each other really is superb.

The bowling trio worked very well today. Zaheer bowled well despite the figures, Praveen was extremely tight and Ishant was the standout. Ishant really is maturing into a fantastic ODI bowler with his brilliant off cutter slower balls. Ojha does seem a prospect with his willingness to flight the ball, but it must be noted that he has an average OD record with 48 wickets at 31.62. Compare this with Jadeja's 18 wickets at 22.44, which suppliments a strong showing in youth OD cricket of 31 wickets at 22.48. Jadeja also offers strong batting and so I feel he could be given a chance.

India's ODI cricket is in an incredibly strong position and I hope it continues.

Tbh, the current line up did extremely well for India and there is no reason why Munaf should earn a place over the current three bowlers. He should remain in the squad though, pending an injury or loss of form to one of the bowlers. The batsmen worked well, considering the poor decisions that went against them. I am starting to feel that perhaps Tendulkar should drop down to the middle order at four - this is not where he is strongest, but maybe the partnership of Gambhir/Sehwag is worth it; it is, in my opinion. I am sure Tendulkar can still score runs at the top of the order, but the way that Gambhir and Sehwag compliment each other really is superb.
I guess it's become a 'You can't eat the cake and have it too' situation!:D

If Sachin drops down the order, he could be around for the batting PowerPlay, which would be somewhat similar to opening...

I think the top 3 is fine the way it is. You have to remember that the Sachin-Sehwag combo was one of the best in the world for a long long time.

2 bad desicions. He hasn't done anything wrong.

2 bad desicions. He hasn't done anything wrong.

True, but Sehwag-Gambhir is too good to pass off imo. Total destruction, demoralization and utter humiliation of the opposition bowlers.

True, but Sehwag-Gambhir is too good to pass off imo. Total destruction, demoralization and utter humiliation of the opposition bowlers.

I agree. I never said I wanted Sachin out of the team, I just want Sehwag-Gambhir as openers. But when our top 3 order is Sehwag, Tendulkar, and Gambhir, I REALLY don't have any room to complain.

wow Whats with L. Balaji coming back into the Squad since 2003. Dont know how his form's been lately but I would think its not the best option to go with. Bring back Pathan at least......

In terms of OD cricket, Balaji played in the Challenger Trophy and did okay. However, in FC cricket, he has been superb, racking up over tallies up to 53.3 overs in an innings and he has performed superbly, very rarely failing to have a sizable haul at least once in a match.

wow Whats with L. Balaji coming back into the Squad since 2003.

To get smashed all around the park? :D lets forget all our gone bowlers including good for nothing RP singh and sluggish Munaf. lets leave Zaheer also. we need to hunt for finding another couple of Ishants in our team. That will set the perfect pace attack for India.

Whenever I see Ishant bowling, it reminds me the legendary McGrath. But whenever I see Munaf bowling, it reminds me of some 50 year old person. :rolleyes: I feel, its better if we keep our eyes open and hunt for another couple of Ishants ...

Isn't the present situation quite similar to what happened when Sourav let Sehwag open in ODIs. Before this Saurav and Sachin provided India with what was atleast then, the world's best opening partnership. It was simply majestic. Yet when Sehwag came up, he made that position his own. However Sourav lost his mojo batting lower down. He was never quite the same player as he was when opening. Not that Gambhir shouldn't be allowed to open or anything, just that probably leaving the present order as it is is a better option.

Picking Balaji? Step backwards?

Yes I seriously don't get a clue why Indian selectors always ends up in doing crap(though they do some good things). Picking Balaji makes no sense to me. To me, selecting either RP,Balaji or Munaf is one and all the same which makes no sense.

But no wonder.. At one period, we had Mohanty, Harvinder Singh, Ankola, Aashish Kapoor, Chauhan, Nikhil Chopra as our crappy strike bowlers :rolleyes: Have no clue how do the selectors' eyes goes on them? or don't we have promising youngster in our domestic circuit? :rolleyes:

A youngster here, a youngster there, everywhere a youngster youngster! What about hard work? Balaji has worked hard over the last season. This is his just reward.

Users who are viewing this thread