India tour of New Zealand - Jan to Feb 2014

grkrama

National Board President
One thing thats on Dhoni's side is 'Pressure situation' and we know how that ends.

-------
well done rohit
im pretty sure dhoni wasted his pep talk with that guy

playkid12

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
That's way too pessimistic, adi! I know where you're coming from (rather say to yourself "I said so" if something wrong happens:yes:D), but here we do have a genuine chance.

India when they come out to bat today, will be looking at it as 320 to win with 9 wickets in hand. And that doesn't seem hard. Yes, few wkts can still rock us and give NZ the charge, but as I said before, it looks pretty even to me ATM.

Your bias is showing. Even if India win this, 320 with 9 wickets in hand is a very difficult ask for a 4th innings chase, especially of a team who's batting has been struggling.

grkrama

National Board President
Sir ji in now something will happen for sure
probably told rohit tom comeback as he wanted to get in :p

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Best form of defense, attack!

Your bias is showing. Even if India win this, 320 with 9 wickets in hand is a very difficult ask for a 4th innings chase, especially of a team who's batting has been struggling.

You take the pitch into the equation and no, it's not a very difficult ask.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
You can get the greatest start you want, but chasing 400 in the 4th innings will never ever be easy. The pitch has to be as flat as a road for that to happen

This wicket has had movement throughout .. and has been really useful with the new ball

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I have seen Dhoni pull off some incredible things. Almost always in T20s and ODIs, but regardless, as long as Dhoni is at the crease, I always hold out hope, even in the most improbable of circumstances. Moreover, this doesn't feel like a traditional test match. It has a very limited overs feel to it at the moment and I think that may/could suit Dhoni and Jadeja.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see him edge it to 1st slip any ball now.

Sir!!!

Never mind. I don't understand what he was doing there. Silly shot. Kohli and Jadeja are both wickets that could have been avoided.

Last edited:

Epic

Panel of Selectors
You can get the greatest start you want, but chasing 400 in the 4th innings will never ever be easy. The pitch has to be as flat as a road for that to happen

This wicket has had movement throughout .. and has been really useful with the new ball

Drop-in pitches do not deteriorate at the same rate pitches we're used to seeing regularly do, as clearly shown by this 4th innings chase.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Its not just about the pitch though .. there is the mental aspect. 4 successful 400+ chases in over 2000 test matches says something

Epic

Panel of Selectors
The mental aspect exists, but it's exaggerated by the pitch conditions available to the players, which weren't great for most of the 2000 Tests.

Last edited:

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Anyhoo .. this game is done and dusted really. The way Zak swiped at that short ball shows he is not in any mood to stick around. And wouldnt be able to against the new ball in any case

playkid12

Club Captain
Great. So Dhoni's plan is to lose by 50 instead of 70?

He really has no choice. When he bats, fielders are on the boundaries. When Zaheer bats, fielders are up close. It might get interesting if India's target gets closer doing what they're doing, because NZ will have to change their fields then. I say <50 or 40 and NZ will start adjusting fields.

Ohm

User Title Purchaser
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Zaheer is a top-order batsman I guess. :spy Well, its clear that Dhoni don't want to be under pressure. He is playing normally with Zaheer that he isn't keeping strike to himself and filtering it instead. Clearly, he wants some quick runs. Once its around 40 runs to win with 3/2 wickets in hands he should think of it. Good mind set.

playkid12

Club Captain
What exactly can he accomplish by keeping strike? If he goes for a boundary, he'll get stopped by the fielders. If he goes for a 6, it's a huge risk, and India's hopes are gone with his wicket. That leaves him to singles. NZ fielders wont allow 2 or 3's.

This is the only thing he can do right now. He will start taking risks once the target is closer.

Users who are viewing this thread