Sign-ups International Cricket - Test and ODI League 1991/2 and Onwards

@Welwyn

Here are the details of England A's final warmup game before the Unofficial Test series starts..
It's your last chance to try everyone before the series starts so you might want to give Moxon and Barnett a go.
I messed up the grounds for the first game so it was played at Bangalore, this one is Bombay/Mumbai.

Bombay v England A - 3 day match - Wankhede Stadium, Bombay - 1991/2

Pitch:
- 66 - A nicely prepared pitch with the promise of an even contest between batsman and bowler.
Some early pace in the wicket may make the winning the Toss prove a mixed blessing, but the wicket is likely to favour the spinners on the final day.

Day 1 Starting Pitch: - 7A - Fast Paced Wicket

Day 1 Weather: - 2 - Hot and Sunny

Injuries: - D.J.Capel- Shoulder Injury (miss 1 match) - MC Ilott - Back Strain (miss 1 match)

Here is your amended 18 man squad, Capel and Ilott miss this game with injury.

H.Morris
D.J.Bicknell
M.D.Moxon
K.J.Barnett LBG
A.P.Wells
G.P.Thorpe
J.P.Crawley
D.J.Capel RMF (shoulder injury - miss 1 match)
D.A.Reeve RMF
M.A.Ealham RMF
S.J.Rhodes (wk)
W.K.Hegg (wk)
M.Watkinson OB
R.D.B.Croft OB
I.D.K.Salisbury LBG
T.A.Munton RFM
M.C.Ilott LMF (back strain - miss 1 match)
A.P.Igglesden RFM

Wankhede.jpg

Wankhede Stadium, Bombay, hosts a 3 day match between Bombay and England A

@Welwyn

@Andrin Issac

Here is the Bombay team for the 3 day match v England A, a very strong team full of Test players.

Bombay

R.J.Shastri SLA
J.B.Jadhav
S.V.Manjrekar
D.B.Vengsarkar (c)
S.R.Tendulkar LBG
V.G.Kambli
S.S.Dighe (wk)
S.V.Bahutule LBG
R.R.Kulkarni RFM
A.Kuruvilla RFM
S.A.Ankola RMF

Last edited:
@Welwyn

Auckland v England XI - 50 over match - at Eden Garden's, Auckland - 1991/2

Pitch:
- 1 - Very Good Batting Wicket

Weather: - 3 - Sunny

Toss: Auckland

Auckland won the Toss and batted first on an excellent batting wicket and were given a good start by captain and opener John Wright who raced past 50 in the first 15 over Powerplay.
Wright was out for 71 which sparked a collapse and saw the home side slip to 125/8 before Jeff Crowe ressurrected the innings in partnership with tailender Willy Watson.
The pair added 77 for the 9th wicket as former New Zealand captain Crowe posted a run a ball century to see his side past 200 and to a defensible score.
An uneven looking Auckland innings had featured 5 ducks and just 3 batsmen in double figures.
Right arm Medium Fast bowler Steve Watkin took 4 wickets after an expensive start and Graham Gooch was again effective with his part time Medium pace.

Auckland Vs England XI
Auckland 1st Innings 204/10 All Out (Overs 49.5)

BatsmanFieldsmanBowlerRunsMinBls4s6s
JG Wright*b SL Watkin718173100
BA Pocockc RC Russellb ARC Fraser012600
MH Richardsonb CC Lewis28500
JJ Crowelbwb SL Watkin102174106150
SW Brownb RK Illingworth4131700
JTC Vaughanc RC Russellb SL Watkin8182000
IDS Smith+b GA Gooch07500
DN Patelb GA Gooch04400
DK Morrisonb SL Watkin05200
W Watsonnot out13715700
MJ Haslamb CC Lewis010800
extras(b0 lb0 w3 nb1)4
TOTAL10 wickets for204
FOW
1-11(JG Wright) 2-19(MH Richardson) 3-93(JG Wright) 4-100(SW Brown)
5-117(JTC Vaughan) 6-119(IDS Smith) 7-119(DN Patel) 8-125(DK Morrison)
9-202(JJ Crowe) 10-204(MJ Haslam)
BowlerOversMaidRunsWkts
ARC Fraser100321
MP Bicknell60320
CC Lewis9.51442
SL Watkin100454
RK Illingworth102301
GA Gooch40212

Last edited:
H.Morris
M.D.Moxon
K.J.Barnett LBG
A.P.Wells
J.P.Crawley
D.A.Reeve RMF
S.J.Rhodes (wk)
M.Watkinson OB
R.D.B.Croft OB
T.A.Munton RFM
A.P.Igglesden RFM

@Welwyn

Auckland v England XI - 50 over match - at Eden Garden's, Auckland - 1991/2

In what could be possibly seen as justification in England management's youth policy, young batsmen Mark Ramprakash and Neil Fairbrother powered the England XI to an easy 8 wicket victory.
The pair added an unbroken 161* for the 2nd wicket and never looked in trouble as an Auckland attack ran out of ideas on a flat pitch.
Captain and opener Graham Gooch fell cheaply for the 2nd match running as experienced Right arm Fast Medium bowler Willy Watson took 2 early wickets.
After that it was plain sailing for an impressive England XI who made it 2 wins from 2 games to start their long tour.
Steve Watkin was named Man of the Match for his 4 wickets which restricted Auckland to a below par score on an excellent batting pitch.

England XI won by 8 wickets

Man of the Match:
S.L.Watkin

Auckland Vs England XI
England XI 1st Innings 205/2 Closed (Overs 41.3)

GA Gooch*c JJ Croweb W Watson9161310
RA Smithc IDS Smithb W Watson24483340
MR Ramprakashnot out8713610880
NH Fairbrothernot out7910399100
MP Maynarddnb
CC Lewisdnb
RC Russell+dnb
RK Illingworthdnb
MP Bicknelldnb
SL Watkindnb
ARC Fraserdnb
extras(b0 lb2 w1 nb3)6
TOTAL2 wickets for205
FOW
1-13(GA Gooch) 2-44(RA Smith)
BowlerOversMaidRunsWkts
DK Morrison80370
W Watson100472
JTC Vaughan60240
DN Patel100440
MJ Haslam5.30380
SW Brown20130

Last edited:
@Welwyn

When you get the time can you please post an England XI for the following 3 day warmup game on your England tour of New Zealand, no injuries for this one.

Auckland XI v England XI - 3 day match - at Eden Park, Auckland - 1991/2

Pitch:
- 87 - A well prepared pitch which is likely to play easily throughout the match.
There may be some help for the seamers on the first morning until the affects of overnight watering wear off but after that happens the bowlers are likely to toil.

Day 1 Starting Pitch: - 6 - Green Wicket

Injuries: - None

Eden Park 3.jpg

A green pitch awaits the 2 teams at Eden Park, Auckland, for the first 3 day game of England's tour

Hugh Morris, Crofty & Watkin on fire.

It'll be the Cymru team soon lol.
Love Welsh Cricket, I might make Steve James and Adrian Dale available for England A in 1992/3 because they went on tour with England A in the mid 90s.
Glamorgan had a really solid team in the 1990s.
David Hemp might appear in 1994/5 as well.

G.A.Gooch RM
M.A.Atherton
G.A.Hick OB
R.A.Smith
M.R.Ramprakash OB
M.P.Maynard
R.C.Russell (wk)
C.C.Lewis RFM
M.P.Bicknell RFM
S.L.Watkin RMF
D.E.Malcolm RF

Excellent team, can tell you have done some research.
Love Welsh Cricket, I might make Steve James and Adrian Dale available for England A in 1992/3 because they went on tour with England A in the mid 90s.
Glamorgan had a really solid team in the 1990s.
David Hemp might appear in 1994/5 as well.

Mainly just looking at some CC averages. If I see someone on that list that I think I should pick, could I request that? No worries if not.

Running this as a how would I do better than the TCCB in the 90's (see @Aislabie thread on his cricket captain 90's playthrough), so not going to blindly pick Welsh players but Maynard & Watkin in particular will probably get a better go as I think they were both poorly done by. I am a big fan of Hugh & Steve James but given that my initial plan would be for Stewie to be seen as a pure opener/top 3 bat in Test's (other than for emergencies). Chances for them will be limited

Mainly just looking at some CC averages. If I see someone on that list that I think I should pick, could I request that? No worries if not.

Running this as a how would I do better than the TCCB in the 90's (see @Aislabie thread on his cricket captain 90's playthrough), so not going to blindly pick Welsh players but Maynard & Watkin in particular will probably get a better go as I think they were both poorly done by. I am a big fan of Hugh & Steve James but given that my initial plan would be for Stewie to be seen as a pure opener/top 3 bat in Test's (other than for emergencies). Chances for them will be limited
You can pick anyone from County Cricket you think deserves a chance, there will be an England A Tour of West Indies later in the 1991/2 season so you can pick anyone who stood out in the 1991 season and make some changes.
I will rate players either on their England A and Tour match averages or at 75 percent of First Class stats to reflect the higher level of cricket in this League.
A batsman might have his average downgraded to 75 percent of his FC average and a bowler might have his average increased by 1.33 but I will try to use A stats where I can.
Maynard is not too bad in this game, a nervous starter which means he might fail in a one off game but he has a decent scoring rate to make up for his lack of defence.
Most top order batsmen in this game will average at least mid 20s in First Class games even if they failed outright in Tests, they were just unlucky.
I haven't checked the 1991 averages and mostly listed players with England or England A experience in the early 90s.
If you have fun doing the research you can pick anyone you want.

Last edited:
@Andrin Issac

@Welwyn

India A squad for 1st Unofficial Test v England A at Delhi 1991/2

W.V.Raman SLA
N.S.Sidhu
A.D.Jadeja

V.G.Kambli
P.K.Amre
S.C.Ganguly RM

A.K.Sharma SLA

R.R.Singh RMF

V.Yadav (wk)
N.R.Mongia (wk)

C.Sharma RFM

A.Kumble LBG
M.Venkataramana OB
N.D.Hirwani LBG
Maninder Singh SLA

S.T.Banerjee RMF
J.Srinath RFM
S.A.Ankola RMF

Last edited:
@Andrin Issac

@Welwyn

Breaking News...England A score 157 runs in 1st session v Bombay

After the early loss of captain Hugh Morris for 14 opener Martyn Moxon and Number 3 Kim Barnett posted speedy unbeaten half centuries to power England A to 157/1 at Lunch on Day 1.of their 3 day match with Bombay.
The England A batsman took full advantage of a Fast Paced Wicket that increased the scoring rate and some wayward Bombay bowling.
157 in the 1st session on Day 1...is this the birth of Bazball?

Lunch Score

England A 157/1 (M.D.Moxon 63*, K.J.Barnett 76*; A.Kuruvilla 1-22)

Last edited:
@Welwyn

@Andrin Issac

Bombay v England A - 3 day match - at Wankhede Stadium, Bombay - 1991/2

Pitch:
- 66 - A nicely prepared pitch with the promise of an even contest between batsman and bowler.
Some early pace in the wicket may make the winning the Toss prove a mixed blessing, but the wicket is likely to favour the spinners on the final day.

Day 1 Starting Pitch: - 7A - Fast Paced Wicket

England A took full advantage of batting 1st on a Fast Paced Wicket to put on 157/1 in the 1st session on their way to a total of 387/5 declared an hour before Stumps on Day 1.
Centuries to opener Martyn Moxon and young Lancashire batsman John Crawley were the highlight and Kim Barnett justified his late call up to the Tour with a hard hitting 88.
Keeper Steven Rhodes also posted an 53* not out as he added an unbroken 161* run partnership with Crawley to rub salt into Bombay wounds after earlier Moxon and Barnett had taken the score to 195/2 inside 40.4 overs.
An overall run rate of 4.61 runs per over was testament to England A's positive approach in conditions that aided the scoring rate.
England A's declaration will give their seamers a chance at a wicket or two before Stumps before regaining their Stamina overnight.
With the pitch wearing slower than expected conditions are expected to remain reasonably good for batting throughout the match.

Bombay Vs England A
England A 1st Innings 387/5 Declared (Overs 84)

H Morris*c DB Vengsarkarb A Kuruvilla14222400
MD Moxonb RJ Shastri10316713490
KJ Barnettc JB Jadhavb RJ Shastri88121110110
AP Wellsb SV Bahutule8382610
JP Crawleynot out110129129190
DA Reevelbwb SV Bahutule02100
SJ Rhodes+not out531088760
M Watkinsondnb
RDB Croftdnb
TA Muntondnb
AP Igglesdendnb
extras(b4 lb0 w0 nb7)11
TOTAL5 wickets for387
FOW
1-28(H Morris) 2-195(KJ Barnett) 3-216(MD Moxon) 4-226(AP Wells) 5-226(DA Reeve)
BowlerOversMaidRunsWkts
RR Kulkarni111610
A Kuruvilla121661
SA Ankola121520
SV Bahutule204992
RJ Shastri251812
SR Tendulkar40240

Crawley.jpg

John Crawley rubbed salt into Bombay's wounds with an unbeaten century containing 19 fours

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread