New Zealand tour of England - May/June 2015

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Perhaps I'm exaggerating this a little bit; but this England team playing as it is would have been a definite semi-final team in the World Cup - it wouldn't have beaten Australia or New Zealand at home nor South Africa, but it would have been competitive with anyone else in the quarters

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
among the test nations,now only pakistan and zimbabwe(?) play odis like in the 90s
:facepalm . And soon zimbabwe will overtake us too

Last edited:

bigred

Club Captain
Fine chase so far. Need to finish it off though. Still think we were a bowler short though. Morgan had to bowl Rashid and Stokes a lot. Another option would have meant a 330 chase in my opinion.

With our top 6 in superb form, we don't need Billings at 7. Let's see what Craig Overton can do in the final game.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Roy's technique really is shocking.

He played some good shots, and he was a metre away (up, right or left!) from not being out, so a little harsh.

This has been a glorious partnership from Root and Morgan. Absolutely beautiful stroke play.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
Fine chase so far. Need to finish it off though. Still think we were a bowler short though. Morgan had to bowl Rashid and Stokes a lot. Another option would have meant a 330 chase in my opinion.

With our top 6 in superb form, we don't need Billings at 7. Let's see what Craig Overton can do in the final game.

I think the bowlers did really well today. Apart from that 40 odd from Santner, it was pretty good bowling. Had there not have been that 28 off of Rashid, it would still have been a 330 chase (again with the what ifs, sorry!) so I'm not sure we need another Bowler. Saying that, I think Woakes will be back in the side and he is a genuine all rounder.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
it shows how much odi cricket has changed when the commentators are like "England will win this, its pretty obvious" despite the run rate being near a run a ball

e: morgan's no that bad

bigred

Club Captain
I think the bowlers did really well today. Apart from that 40 odd from Santner, it was pretty good bowling. Had there not have been that 28 off of Rashid, it would still have been a 330 chase (again with the what ifs, sorry!) so I'm not sure we need another Bowler. Saying that, I think Woakes will be back in the side and he is a genuine all rounder.

David Willey, Craig Overton and Moeen Ali are genuine all rounders. They are all fit and one of them should bat at 7.

I've been very impressed by Mark Wood in the last two games. He's got something about him.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
David Willey, Craig Overton and Moeen Ali are genuine all rounders. They are all fit and one of them should bat at 7.

I've been very impressed by Mark Wood in the last two games. He's got something about him.

Willey isn't good enough if the ball isn't swinging in my opinion, but is already in the team. Moeen is not being selected for whatever reason. I'd probably give Overton a chance in the last game.

Yeah Wood has been great, but also Finn's spell around 35 overs was great to watch, bowled really well.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
it shows how much odi cricket has changed when the commentators are like "England will win this, its pretty obvious" despite the run rate being near a run a ball

e: morgan's no that bad

No he's not, but he had a pretty hideous 18 months up to and including the WC. I was incredulous when he got made captain. I'm pleased to look silly in that respect!

richowebbo

County Cricketer
Fun stats for England fans:

World Cup - 6 Matches - 1,327 runs at 5.50 per over
This series - 4 matches - 1,425 runs at 7.69 per over

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
I'm going to Chester-le-Street on Saturday with my Dad (joint birthday thing), never thought I'd get to see a series deciding game :)

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
Something needs to be done to equalize the difference between bat and ball.

Seems to just be an elongated T20 game.

D

Deleted member 149013

I think Wood, Woakes and Finn would make a good combination. I would keep hold of Willey his speeds are low in terms of international cricket but he takes wickets, plus swings the ball also can bat too and also Plunkett to rotate with Finn. Jordan doesn’t offer anything if you have Wood and Stokes in the eleven unless he improves. Broad well he would offer some control and experience but I would use Woakes to gain some experience as Broad plays in tests.

It’s a good move to call up the Overton brothers it can’t harm to see how they handle international cricket we need to find the best team. So not too worried it will turn into a revolving door policy of players called up then let go.

Roy looks more a T20 batsman to me but did play more positive yesterday. Taylor has to be in the ODI or Test side at least, he was impressive last year and hasn’t had a bad spell of form to justify been dropped.
By the looks of it can’t see Ali making an appearance in the ODI setup which is a little strange as he would also offer another bowling option if Rashid was to get smashed around the park in future.

Maybe they have opted to go the New Zealand way in that Kane Williamson bowls the odd spell with Root bowling that for England, I don’t think it will work, Root bowling in a test might take a wicket but he isn’t effective enough in ODI.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
T20 squad has been announced, Vince and Topley in.

England squad: Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Sam Billings (Kent), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Ben Stokes (Durham), Reece Topley (Essex), James Vince (Hampshire), David Willey (Northamptonshire), Mark Wood (Durham).

Users who are viewing this thread