New Zealand tour of England - May/June 2015

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
T20 squad has been announced, Vince and Topley in.

England squad: Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Sam Billings (Kent), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Ben Stokes (Durham), Reece Topley (Essex), James Vince (Hampshire), David Willey (Northamptonshire), Mark Wood (Durham).

Very good selection in my opinion. Think the starting eleven will probably be the team that played last night, with Topley and Vince as very good back ups.

The Test training squad is interesting. Clearly they are sticking with Ali as opposed to bring in Rashid.

Also assume that Woakes is nowhere near fit enough and Plunkett, Finn and Footitt will act as fast bowling cover. Think they've lost a bit of confidence in Jordan's bowling.

Thought they could have done with taking an extra batsman to Spain. Taylor or Hales are the obvious candidates. Even if it was to send a message to all of them that their places aren't guaranteed.

D

Deleted member 149013

England squad: Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Sam Billings (Kent), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Ben Stokes (Durham), Reece Topley (Essex), James Vince (Hampshire), David Willey (Northamptonshire), Mark Wood (Durham).
It’s good to see James Vince and Reece Topley in the team. I would of rested Root, Buttler and Wood with the ashes coming but still looks a good team.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
He played some good shots, and he was a metre away (up, right or left!) from not being out, so a little harsh.

This has been a glorious partnership from Root and Morgan. Absolutely beautiful stroke play.
Well, I posted that before he got out, so unless you're suggesting I have some mystical skills of seeing into the future, it's hard to see how it's a criticism of his dismissal.

But my point still stands. Anything coming back into him cut him in half and he got no where near them. That's a major worry. Even Hales, who is by no means perfect, looked a lot more sound than Roy. It's clear to me that Hales is worth persevering with, whereas Roy has work to do.

bigred

Club Captain
Well, I posted that before he got out, so unless you're suggesting I have some mystical skills of seeing into the future, it's hard to see how it's a criticism of his dismissal.

But my point still stands. Anything coming back into him cut him in half and he got no where near them. That's a major worry. Even Hales, who is by no means perfect, looked a lot more sound than Roy. It's clear to me that Hales is worth persevering with, whereas Roy has work to do.

Yeah, Roy looks horrid at times. Think he's probably worth his t20 place, but they can't get Ali back quick enough in ODIs for me.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360

I apologise for not reading the time you posted.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
It'll be interesting to see how Roy goes now. He's obviously got a bit of talent, so it's just a case of whether he works on that technique to try to get to the top level of the game, or just carries on where he is and just stays a decent County limited overs player.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner

Reasonable squad; not sure what Tom Westley did wrong.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Really looking forward to the game today.

We know the ball swings up in Durham and with the cloud cover, I expect Southee to be a nightmare to play. And Boult for that matter.

It'll be interesting to see how the lads adapt to the conditions.

D

Deleted member 149013

English players accents the flower effect.
If you listen to some of the players when talking they have picked up the Andy Flower accent. Morgan for example he speaks with his Irish accent then certain words or phrases and he sounds like Andy Flower a few of the players have it. Anyone else noticed this?

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Update from the ground: they have to start by 5:55 to get a 20 over game, and it's stopped raining and they only have the main cover, the run ups and one of the side covers on. I'd say 5:15-5:30 start, if the rain stays off which isn't certain, it's still very gloomy.

It's also nice to see that making a fool of yourself by wearing a banana costume and drinking too much at a cricket game is available to all regardless of gender

e: its drizzling again

D

Deleted member 149013

Update from the ground: they have to start by 5:55 to get a 20 over game, and it's stopped raining and they only have the main cover, the run ups and one of the side covers on. I'd say 5:15-5:30 start, if the rain stays off which isn't certain, it's still very gloomy.

It's also nice to see that making a fool of yourself by wearing a banana costume and drinking too much at a cricket game is available to all regardless of gender

e: its drizzling again
Not saying you should of turned up in a monkey suit but loosen up get a few drinks enjoy the day with your dad, life is too short.

D

Dutch

Call me an idiot, call me an ambualance or a taxi but how, how, how does 280 for 9 off 50 overs translate to 192 off 26????

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I think it's fair enough really. If we were chasing 140 off 20, we'd all think it was easy enough, so it's not a lot past that. Plus there's probably an extra over or two of powerplays, so fair enough for me.

D

Dutch

I think it's fair enough really. If we were chasing 140 off 20, we'd all think it was easy enough, so it's not a lot past that. Plus there's probably an extra over or two of powerplays, so fair enough for me.

NZ innings didndt get past 5.5 runs per over....England have to go 7.5 from the start......putting wickets on the line straight away...as we see...

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
But then if we could play a 10 over game, would a target of 58 (or whatever is the same run rate) make sense? Of course not. It's a balance. The way I look at it, is a par score. If 300 is par for 50 overs, then it's a decent pitch, so say 160 would be par for a T20 game. So it makes more sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread