NRL Telstra Premiership 2006

:( Don't know which NSW that was, looked like the Bunnies in Blue! Our halves couldn't pass, our backs couldn't catch and our forwards couldn't go forward. Pathetic display by NSW but credit to Queensland they stood up and clearly deserved the win.
On a good note Adam Mogg scored 2 tries and was one of the best backs.

Hopefully they sack Anasta and Finch, both were crap and always have been apart from that one miracle game in game 1.

They are usually a great combination so I don't think they'll both be sacked.

Probably Anasta + Orford.

Whoa, I didn't expect but, but am thrilled by the fact that it's actually alive! :)
Queensland, as a whole, were brilliant; their forward pack provided a very good foundation in which the backline constructed play from, as they were constantly breaking through NSW lines, which allowed the halves time and space. Some of those passages and cut-out passes were brilliantly executed, and I couldn't find a player who didn't perform with passion in the QLD line-up; they seemed very driven.
NSW, on the other hand, were on the defensive from the very beginning, as their forwards lacked aggression, backs creativity, handling, execution of passes and simply couldn't cope with the Suncorp atmosphere. Finch was poor, as was his partner Anasta- what's wrong with Ben Ikin? He and Anasta had one half-decent game, and he's labelling them as the biggest threats in the NSW side. Was Luke Bailey on the field? He was almost non-existent, but one player that did impress was Growth.
Their consolation try was well constructed, but not half as good as QLD's last one- that was class.
There was one instance where Menzies should've passed it to one of his two outside men, but held onto it and in turn spilled it- he really should know better, but the ball he gave in the try was alright.
All in all, a great and inspired performance from QLD, and NSW will look to make some changes ahead of the Melbourne clash in the coming weeks as the current set of players now have a massive psychological disadvantage. Still, too many will disrupt the whole balance. Finch will have to go, and maybe Anasta, or won't Gower be ready?
Maybe a few changes in the second row would be warranted, as that didn't look at all threatening. It was a creaming in all senses, but a bad game every now and then can be understood.
By the way, I HATE Phil Gould- he's just so annoying, going on and on about how good league and origin is, how passionate and mentally complex the contests are, etc...

Last edited:
Anasta was the main problem. Throwing intercepts, and balls dropping to the ground. It's time to bring Orford in. You just have to look at where the Roosters are to show the Anasta and Finch combo ain't working.

Yorkshire_No1 said:
I can't wait to see the Gold Coast, Richie Mathers and Brian Carney playign for them :D

As for Super League, great news for Warrington signing Adrian Morley :D

I'm gonna support the Gold Coast next year ;) I might as well, seeing as I can't be bothered with any other side.
And yeah, the Roosters will really find it tough next year without Cross who is a big loss, and now Morley, who's a very imposing forward.

aussie1st said:
Anasta was the main problem. Throwing intercepts, and balls dropping to the ground. It's time to bring Orford in. You just have to look at where the Roosters are to show the Anasta and Finch combo ain't working.

Yeah, he made the most blatant mistakes, but Finch didn't really make his presence felt at all- Anasta did, but for the wrong reasons! :p

Fear not the Chooks are looking to buy Asotasi from the Doggies ;) Cross they can replace with that traitor Monaghan.
Lyons won't be going back to the Eels, we may see the World's best center at the Raiders :D Of course don't be surpised if the Roosters or Sea Eagles get him.

Roosters are flying under the radar this year so far with their deals. With just the 2 feeder clubs, no one seems to care much.

Anyone else realise that the QLD team was filled with inform players?

I so cant wait until we get to the dome. We have a great game coming up in two weeks. Overall Queenslnad was the team of the night and they looked good ever since the opening mistake by NSW. If you looked at that Caltex Vortex Try Tracker thing comparing it to Game 1 on both sides QLD were better and NSW were worse. If inglis is fit to play next game Queensland face a tough decision for who to put it but even if its possible id put one of em in centre and one on wing and change it around like maybe try not to sack one of the players like bell or hodges but try keep them in. You can tell by the way NSW played last night their halves lacked their normal abilities. You could tell that Finch was taking longer to pass as Berrigan ***** it and the amount of errors they made its not their game.

Bring on the Telstra Dome!

Is it possible that they scheduled the final match of the series for the Dome so as to negate NSW's home advantage? Seeing as it'd be a record four victories in a row if NSW do win, which in turn will go a long way in taking the anticipation out of the Origin spectacle, I think it's highly probable....
I dunno the actual reason, but I suppose they're also aiming to attract the Melbourne audience, which'll never happen! :p

Anyway, considering our 'proximity' to Melbourne, there'll still probably be a higher percentage of NSW supporters there...

Nah NSW actually gave away their home advantage. Next year Queensland will use their 2 home matches. I'm guessing it was so that they can get League back into Melbourne.

Yeah, probably, but breaking into a tight sporting culture such as the one that exists in Melbourne is almost impossible- but as long as they draw a few over, the task would be accomplished I guess.
The statue of Wally Lewis being painted blue.....I still think it's showing signs of a suspicious anti-NSW campaign through generating more interest in a reverse psychological way :p

Former St Helens and Wigan boss Ian Millward will quit England at the end of the season after agreeing to become assistant coach at North Queensland.

Source: BBC Sport

Good news for Queensland, Millward is an excellent coach :hpraise

Found an interesting article saying Victoria don't deserve SOO.
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19482190-32463,00.html

I agree with that, those guys only care about AFL. You wouldn't see the final of the AFL being moved anywhere. They only gave one page to SOO yet 15 pages to Union. And of course they have a team that is on top of the table but I'm sure they are getting little coverage over there.

Rugby League would of been better off forcing its way into Perth. They are far more interested in Rugby, whether it is League or Union, than Melbourne and Adelaide.

The Rabbitohs or Roosters should be relocated to Perth. Rabbitohs because they are having so many problems they could use a fresh start. The Roosters because lets face it, do the Roosters have any supporters from the Eastern Suburbs? They have a very small and rather useless district competition. All there supporters could go to games when they play one of the other 8 Sydney teams.

Jamie Lyons is probably going to be picked up by the Panthers. I really don't think Eels supporters would be too impressed to see him back after he walked out anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread