Pakistan in England/Scotland 2006

Who are your men of the series? (select one from each team)

• Total voters
Personally, I think SiJo will be fit for the Ashes. Call me an idiot for believing in fate, but I think with all the injuries we've been having of late, it has to balance out and I think Jones will be fit with time to spare for the Ashes.

Mahmood has the potential to be a good reverse-swing bowler, but I think if Jimmy is fit, then he should play.

I think we are getting off topic now though.

England seem to have a nice combo going in Harmison and Monty. Pakistan's batting has been really disappointing, their big guns just didn't fire when needed.

Harmison and Monty is like a poor man's McGrath and Warne.

They may not be as good, but they are still effective. Well, they were today anyway.

Monty is a exceptional left arm spin bowlers seeing as that was only his 8th match.

This time last year he was waiting for his exam results and year on he is almost a certain choice to replace the "king of spain" Ashley Giles. Ashley must know that his place is a jepordy if Monty can keep this up, it would be foolish to take the spinner spot of MP as he is a class young left armer which England will need to mould into a Warne type player in the coming year. Northants must be given a pat on the back for finding him, and getting him up to this level, he really is the most exciting bowler to watch.

And dont you just get upbeat watching him jump up into the air, :D this really is a man who wants to strive for his country, and im sorry to say that alot of players who play for England go out there to play for themselves, and Monty really is a man who needs to be given the chance against Australia this year!

Again, I still think that Fletcher will let Giles straight back in the side. I really hope he doesn't come back into the side; England now have a spinner with promise, and it would be a huge backward step for us to drop Panesar.

evertonfan said:
Again, I still think that Fletcher will let Giles straight back in the side. I really hope he doesn't come back into the side; England now have a spinner with promise, and it would be a huge backward step for us to drop Panesar.

I totally agree, Gileso has done well for England in the past few years, but now him having a dodgy hip and the groin injury, it shows he isnt up to it no more, he's like a older Dom Cork, a great low down allrounder! yes he is, he can bat a bit, but i believe we have enough depth that we dont need a bowler who can bat a bit, we have Hoggard and Harmison who can get 20 and 30 runs, its been shown, and with big slogging monty adding 10-20 runs down there at 11, we surely should keep with the fans choice, shame for Giles but surely monty is the right way to go

Hey, Monty isnt afraid to smack a six, and then a edge 4 give him his 10, i reckon the team we have now is good, but this is what id like to see

1.Strauss C
2.Trescothick Vice C
3.Cook
4.Vaughan
5.KP
6.Flintoff
7.Collingwood
8.Matt Prior/GoJo
9.Steve Harmison
10.Hoggard
11.Monty Panesar

Now i know we have only 3 bowlers but look here

Seam Bowlers
Harmison
Hoggard
Collingwood
Flintoff
Tresco can do a bit

Spins
Monty Panesar
KP
Vaughan

Now its alot to ask of monty, but Vaughan can do it, and if Pietersen works on the Leg spin i reckon he can be a Vaughan type bowler who comes in to change things around, 2 great overs today showed he can bowl a bit!

Trescothick bowling? Just no. Collingwood at 7? Just no. Strauss as captain when Vaughan is in the side? Just no. Carlsberg don't do England teams, but if they did, they would certainly be better than that.

Sorry to disagree with you so much.

lol, everyone has opinions.

I believe that the captaincy should be given out to someone except from fred, as he is doing too much, i know how it feels, but he is on the international stage it must kill him!

Tresco can bowl a bit!

i didnt really put people in order TBH, i kinda put em down as they came to me. Id put collingwood at 5 after Vaughan in that team

aussie1st said:
Pakistan's batting has been really disappointing, their big guns just didn't fire when needed.
yet, this is been the downside of our game.

Pakistan will find it hard here in england, like the commentary team said, they are used to bouncers at chest hight, wereas he, its chin hight and it will be intimidating.

It doesnt help that Al-Haq isnt proforming, only 50 odd in the first innings this match and 13 in the second, really while touring your captain really needs to lead by example!

Ponting was the perfect captain at times, when he got a big score Australia proformed, and when he didnt they didnt do well in bowling or fielding.

Ive gotta admit at home England are pretty much unbeatable on the 5 day game, the ODI game is another story, i really dont no what are bowlers think thier doing!

But Pakistan still have Aktar to return, and the Pitches here will have his mouth watering im sure, late swing i reckon he'll get and bowling at 95 mph consistantly while the ball swings, its enough to make any cricketer crap themselves

Simbazz said:
But Pakistan still have Aktar to return, and the Pitches here will have his mouth watering im sure, late swing i reckon he'll get and bowling at 95 mph consistantly while the ball swings, its enough to make any cricketer crap themselves

Personally, I think that Pakistan and Akhtar are being optimistic; I doubt he'll play any of the remaining tests. Even if he does, he won't be able to bowl in the nineties consistently and he will not be as affective as he is when on form.

Still the threat of him is getting clearer as his fitness returns, even if he is bowling at 87-88 MPH, he is still a cracking bowler who will be a great assit to the bowling attack!

Users who are viewing this thread