Pakistan vs England Jul-Aug-Sep 2010

Sucks for Haider and even more for Pakistan cricket. Now Kamran comes back and sucks it up even more.

Kamran Akmal also has a black eye, Zulqarnain an injured finger.

Hmmm, if I put 2+2 together, I'd say there may have been a scuffle.

And Zulqarnain won.

How is he in contention all of a sudden? Hopefully he is much improved since the last time I saw him, can't even remember when that was, against India?

I guess if there is any good news for Pakistan, especially from the tour match that barely was, then it must be Yousuf making 40no. I still think they should have played him, being unfit is the only reason I wouldn't have included him since the rest of the side weren't exactly in top form and is bad form any better than no form?

I would quite like to see Tremlett come in for Broad, the way Broad is batting it wouldn't be that much loss to the batting and Tremlett could be a good bowler to take down under. No good going round in circles picking the same bowlers who've failed before. He's picked up 25 wickets at 23.24 and a HS of 53 for Surrey in LVCC2 which isn't awe inspiring, but only eight bowlers have taken more wickets AND at a lower average in LVCC2 - Finn included, and that hasn't stopped him being picked or succeeding for England

A few selected recent/current England careers

Ajmal Shahzad (1 Test) : 4 wkts @ 15.75
Finn (6 Tests) : 27 wkts @ 21.85
Kabir Ali (1 Test) : 5 wkts @ 27.20
Sidebottom (22 Tests) : 79 wkts @ 28.24
Tremlett (3 Tests) : 13 wkts @ 29.69
Onions (8 Tests) : 28 wkts @ 31.04
Anderson (50 Tests) : 181 wkts @ 32.08
Broad (30 Tests) : 92 wkts @ 34.64
Bresnan (5 Tests) : 14 wkts @ 35.14
Mahmood (8 Tests) : 20 wkts @ 38.10
Plunkett (9 Tests) : 23 wkts @ 39.83

Finn has only played Bangladesh (as has Shazhad) and a poor Pakistan batting side, Kabir Ali only played South Africa many years ago while Tremlett played India.

I'm not suggesting Kabir Ali and Tremlett should tour, are definitelty better bowlers etc, but surely this shows inconsistency in selection when some bowlers get more chances than others. I wouldn't count on Tremlett playing again before Mahmood, or that Mahmood won't go on the Ashes tour instead of Tremlett. I trust mr bits n pieces Luke Wright won't go, although he may well be picked for the ODI party.

It is also quite interesting to have a list of candidates for the bowling spots, Kabir Ali excepted. Anyone who hasn't played a Test shouldn't be thrown in at the deep end down under, I wonder if the selectors will use this situation of not being able to lose the series to try a few players. It's not like we'd field a complete second string, or take winning for granted, but it's not as if we shouldn't be able to draw one of the last two matches if we change a player or two. If Pakistan are resurgent, there's no telling whether the team that won the first two Tests will fare any better than a side with a few new/old but recalled faces

Where would Tremlett come in the pecking order? I'm guessing behind Shahzad and Bresnan. Heck he might even fall behind Onions and Sidebottom. Bit of a long shot of him going to Australia. But definitely a player to keep an eye on if the need ever arises. Didn't do too badly against India in the Tests he played.

Seems England have stuck with Cook as well. But man that must be some rotten luck for Haider. What's the bet Akmal has a brilliant game which means the selectors will pick him again and then next game he flops and continues to do so for years to come before the selectors drop him again?

OMG. Akmal again. I am so sick of the sight of that little bastard. Its better if they play Yasir Hameed as a WK rather than the tried and tested failure. I can't imagine what will our poor bowlers be thinking right now. Well I guess I can, they will be thinking bowled and LBW :facepalm

tbf haider wasn't amazing behind the stumps either. He misjudged a catch badly and it hit him on the wrist rather than him catching it. It was his batting and determination that will be missed, no one else seems able to apply themselves. Butt, Farhat and Ali were embarrassing, it was like how an idiot would approach test cricket just trying to block everything over after over.

It's true that Haider wasn't flash with regards to his keeping. But it was his batting that really shone through. More importantly, he contributed and saved Pakistan from even bigger loss. Kamran flopped with the gloves and with the bat and he hasn't scored decent runs in a while now. Hopefully Haider gets another go when he's over his injury.

Lets get this test's live discussion started. Cook gets owned again. What other Test opener do England have ?

Users who are viewing this thread