Patch #2 Must Fixes

Status
Not open for further replies.
a cover drive shouldnt go anywhere near the bowler, you also shouldnt be pressing run until you see the ball in the gap

I do everything exactly the same as you, except i wait to see where the ball is going before i press run, you need to get into the habit of keeping your finger over circle after playing the shot, so your default reaction is to press cancel not run.... you only run when you are certain... the simple fact is youd rather survive for the next ball then steal a cheap single! as I said, I havent been run out now for like 2 weeks.

The catch, well thats just bad timing and shot selection, happens to me often, we all know we shouldnt be playing front foot drives to a short ball, so if the odds are that you have pre mediatated a front foot drive and the bowler bowls a short ball, then well done to them really

the catch though is not unrealistic to thing that a mid off fielder can catch a ball thats not well timed, in the air, and going straight!!

If every ball went exactly where we pressed our buttons to go, then none of us would still be playing because the game would be too easy, is that not correct??

1. A lofted drive back over the bowler is a shot I've played a lot and works. The question here is not about my shot selection, its about the OBVIOUS warping of fielders to get to a ball - you telling me thats real? Watch the replay at normal speed. Unless that guy is Usain Bolt, I call bull$hit.

2. Regardless of when I press cancel, a batsman should lead with their bat - EVERY batsman knows this, and we're emulating professional cricketers here not schoolboys. THAT is the issue which I'm raising and needs to be fixed. Tell me how many times have you seen non-strikers run out by a pace bowler OTHER than touching a ball thats hit straight at the wickets?

I"m all about the difficulty/challenge. But:
1. pace bowlers who can dive 90 deg to their right/left after delivery
2. fielders who hit the stumps almost every time
3. fielders who move at amazing speed AND dive at balls moving AWAY from them
4. non-strikers who will run back to the crease without sliding their bats only to be run out OVER the crease line because their foot is in the air

thats a bit much. I'm not asking to score centuries each innings, all I want is for the cricket on DB14 to resemble the cricket on TV.

fair enough, I wont continue to argue the poitn because i am not having these issues, I never get run out anymore, and if i play a ball in the air thats near a fielder i accept the fact i will be caught, and its my mistake because i know better

I dont have too much of an issues with super fielders after the patch, and I have been dropped several times at square leg and mid off, so Im not complaining

you have these issues, and its your right to complain about them if you see fit

i spose all im saying is i dont have these issues with run out or ridicolous catches anymore

yeah no worries. Just to clarify, this is the patch fixing thread - all I'm doing is raising awareness on what I think are issues that need to be fixed, in the hope that they will be fixed in the upcoming patch. Assuming they are, I'll be more than happy to shut up and just play cricket! :p

What is the most critical problem affecting playability right now?

What are the most critical problem affecting playability of this game at the moment that you feel should be the priority in the second patch?

For me, it is AI batting. Considering I play 99.94% of my games against the AI, I need the AI batting to at least me somewhat competitive to give me a challenging game. Without this, my enjoyment of the game is most severely compromised. It is good to now that BA have identified that this needs addressing.

AI batting affects all game modes. Even in career when batting with the AI, the performance of AI batsman has the potential to affect the outcome of matches and your own performance and enjoyment of the game when you are batting with them.

People will have different priorities that they feel need addressing.

What is yours? And why?

What is yours? And why?

Okay here goes:

1. super AI fielders (running, warping, hitting the stumps) including pace bowlers magically stopping balls
2. AI field settings (5 slips in a T20???)
3. Non striker doesn't slide bat when running back to crease (resulting in runouts)
4. AI batting (batsmen go crazy)
5. Slowing down bowling speeds for pace bowlers (there has to be a better way than premeditating)
6. Bowler fatigue
7. 'superhuman' AI fielders in silly mid on/off positions
8. 'whataboutme' bug...ie. you take 6/15 in the 1st innings and either don't get used or you're brought in when the other team is 8/550 in the 2nd innings.

thats all I can think of.

AI field settings, with bowler fatigue coming in second.

Why are these your priorities?

My opinion as you can have both of these problems persist - yet still get a competitive game if the AI batting is fixed.

Nothing more than the fact they just personally frustrate me more than the batting AI. No real rhyme or reason behind it.

lol hows about the AI posting a score of 4/600 odd in their 2nd innings :)

There's a marked difference between the AI batting you see during simulation vs the AI batting you see in front of you!

lol hows about the AI posting a score of 4/600 odd in their 2nd innings :)

There's a marked difference between the AI batting you see during simulation vs the AI batting you see in front of you!

Its weird that there seems to be a completely separate engine used for simulation of AI.

I?ve noticed this adversely affects stats in competition mode. For example, the average score in a simulated AI v AI T10 match is around 120. In a human v Ai match in real time on veteran difficulty, I?ve found the average score for the AI is about 70, and about 80 for human. Over the course of a competition, stats become skewed and inaccurate for the teams you control. In test matches this discrepancy is magnified massively.

If they made their simulation engine based on expected real-time AI v AI performance then:

a) Quality control wise it would have been easier to identify the massive faults with the AI because testing would of involved observing AI v AI real time performance. Honing AI to AI performance would of been required to ensure realistic simulated results across the game, and overall a more realistic and sturdy AI.
b) Matches where there is a significant portion of time played in-game and not in simulation wouldn?t result in skewed skills and results (eg: the extreme strike rate differences you see with AI batsman batting in real-time and in simulation in long formats which skews the results and stats).

I remember in Ricky Ponting Cricket and Cricket 2004 in particular the discrepancy between simulated scores and scores watching the AIvAI in real time were much tighter.

In DBC14 this gap is huge.

How many times in career do you come to the crease, the AI is on 120 not out of 250 balls, only to see them dismissed in the next few balls going for the slog? Coincidence ? I think not.

Its a shame.

Ross has said there wasn't a concerted focus on AI v AI performances in the development of the game. I think they have shot themselves in the foot in this regard - the game may have been a lot better if they did relate things more closely to AI v AI performance. I believe a lot of game developers do this from reading into game development.

Just my opinion. Really what would I know...I don't design games, Im just speculating:-)

Last edited:
just a small request any chance one of the retro helmets can have a chin strap? just some of the old retro helmets back in the day had chin straps and some didnt, hopefully not a big fix

When hawkeye shows the balls bowled after an over I have 2 issues that should be easy fixes but really annoying. Not sure if they are mentioned before so sorry if I'm repeating.

1) Haykeye from behind the wicket disappears way too quickly so you cant analyse it. why not leave it up longer or have a continue button to go past it

2) no indication of which ball is which, please put a number in each ball or even better a colour index to correspond to each ball

Online that is playable

And Ai that doesn't feel the need to make a great start then decide to throw all their wickets away in about 8 overs.

150/0. 200/1. Then bang 220 all out. :mad

And umpires continually giving plumb lbw decisions not out I must get 8-10 every innings like this (career off spinner)

Its weird that there seems to be a completely separate engine used for simulation of AI.

I?ve noticed this adversely affects stats in competition mode. For example, the average score in a simulated AI v AI T10 match is around 120. In a human v Ai match in real time on veteran difficulty, I?ve found the average score for the AI is about 70, and about 80 for human. Over the course of a competition, stats become skewed and inaccurate for the teams you control. In test matches this discrepancy is magnified massively.

If they made their simulation engine based on expected real-time AI v AI performance then:

a) Quality control wise it would have been easier to identify the massive faults with the AI because testing would of involved observing AI v AI real time performance. Honing AI to AI performance would of been required to ensure realistic simulated results across the game, and overall a more realistic and sturdy AI.
b) Matches where there is a significant portion of time played in-game and not in simulation wouldn?t result in skewed skills and results (eg: the extreme strike rate differences you see with AI batsman batting in real-time and in simulation in long formats which skews the results and stats).

I remember in Ricky Ponting Cricket and Cricket 2004 in particular the discrepancy between simulated scores and scores watching the AIvAI in real time were much tighter.

In DBC14 this gap is huge.

How many times in career do you come to the crease, the AI is on 120 not out of 250 balls, only to see them dismissed in the next few balls going for the slog? Coincidence ? I think not.

Its a shame.

Ross has said there wasn't a concerted focus on AI v AI performances in the development of the game. I think they have shot themselves in the foot in this regard - the game may have been a lot better if they did relate things more closely to AI v AI performance. I believe a lot of game developers do this from reading into game development.

Just my opinion. Really what would I know...I don't design games, Im just speculating:-)

Well said and totally agree...

1. Dodgy physics - weightless fielders who accelerate/change direction/stop far too fast as if they had no physical weight, and a ball that doesn't bounce off the stumps at all, it just stops dead. Sort the physics and we'll no longer have problems with ridiculous fielders and players throwing down the stumps every delivery (because if the ball bounced properly it'd go flying off the stumps for 4 overthrows). This would also sort out the fielders who can throw the ball accurately from the floor with no back lift directly onto middle stump from the boundary at 100mph despite sliding in the opposite direction and throwing underarm out the back of their hand.

2. Batting AI. Nuff said.

3. Let us see weather and pitch condition whenever we want.

4. AI field settings. No one posts a wide on and long off in the first over of a first class match, with no slips.

5. Form and confidence should affect team selections. I find it incredibly jarring to see the same team turning out every week and that I stay at #3 in the order despite getting 4 ducks in a row.

6. Make batsmen ground their bat properly especially at the non-striker's end.

7. Fielders all seem to throw with their wrong hand. Righties throw left handed and vice versa. Weird and annoying.

EDIT: 8. Give us more stats on the scorecard - 4s, 6s etc - and arrange them in the proper order (ie. Team 1 first innings, team 2 first innings, team 1 second innings, team 2 second innings - not as it is now).

EDIT 2: should probably point out that I love this game and these are meant to be read as requests even if they sound like angry demands...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread