Patch 3 Requests/Wishlist

If the issue is the player stats, and the game offers a get best at startup, the best option then would be to recommend having "get best teams, keep original stats" option.

actually if i recall correctly, the original stats are not anything like a "real" reflection of the players and attributes are all 50% of the attribute for every player so that doesn't work either.

cook is right - if you want to make sure the game plays as true to life as possible, you have to spend some time tweaking things. if you use get best and then come on here complaining about things not being right, you are literally wasting the time you should be using to make the tweaks yourself.

people being lazy and/or moronic is really not Big Ant's problem. AI batters not giving edges, all pitch conditions playing the same - that's the sort of stuff that needs patching.

setting brilliant sides and having them play nont-brilliantly in career simming is not a problem, nothing wrong with the academy and nothing needs patching. it's a design feature to prevent "gaming" of the career mode.
I think a "I don't care about leaderboards" button would be a very good improvement. If someone wants to play a lop sided career, doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I think it's a poor reason to have a feature that limits the usefulness of the career team lists option.

We've got a feature that lets you swap sides out to play a South African or New Zealand domestic career, but then it locks your teams to be equivalent in batting strength to the county/state sides you replace.
It's a real negative in that use case.

I think a "I don't care about leaderboards" button would be a very good improvement. If someone wants to play a lop sided career, doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I think it's a poor reason to have a feature that limits the usefulness of the career team lists option.

We've got a feature that lets you swap sides out to play a South African or New Zealand domestic career, but then it locks your teams to be equivalent in batting strength to the county/state sides you replace.

don't disagree with that.

i'd think the career structures should be rethought from the ground-up for the next iteration. it should be possible via the academy to create your own structure with your own teams, allowing you to add tiers, say remove t20 formats and play a 70s career etc. it's basically data configuration and then the game applies that configuration - shouldn't affect runtime at all.

actually if i recall correctly, the original stats are not anything like a "real" reflection of the players and attributes are all 50% of the attribute for every player so that doesn't work either.

cook is right - if you want to make sure the game plays as true to life as possible, you have to spend some time tweaking things. if you use get best and then come on here complaining about things not being right, you are literally wasting the time you should be using to make the tweaks yourself.

people being lazy and/or moronic is really not Big Ant's problem. AI batters not giving edges, all pitch conditions playing the same - that's the sort of stuff that needs patching.

Not providing a working database is kind of a product quality issue. One resolution would be the previously suggested "Planet Cricket Recommendation" option, which would allow people to download a particular set designated by people here, but ultimately if the answer is "don't be lazy, do it yourself", that really is a product quality issue, not the users issue. Whilst people striving for accuracy having the option to "make things better" themselves is great, having it so the only way that it's balanced as intended is to have players do it themselves, then there is a bit of an issue.

Even if just as a minor step - nominate a few users of the academy as 'curators' and make their votes worth 50x a normal person so that we can quickly get new and better teams to be in the Get Best.

There's no reason why one person can't do all that work once and be quickly put to the top of the listings.

For the record, ALL I play is the career mode which is why all my pointers/issues/etc are to do with this. I've mentioned before that I couldn't give a rats about the leaderboard but I understand BA were required to put it in and so had to put in a sort of 'anti-point farming' type thing that evened out the points gained, etc. However I do like your suggestion - I would love to be able to 'opt out' of my score being recorded. Remember, how I like to play my career is up to me. If I want to load my team up with the best in the world and be able to open alongside Adam Gilchrist or face Waqar Younis...thats up to me. I don't particularly enjoy being forced into playing a sort of linear campaign if you know what I mean.

BA has soooooo much bloody potential - I just wish it was opened up fully to modding like a lot of other games are, so skilled modders can actually mod stuff like:

- new stadiums
- new pitches
- harder difficulty settings, etc
- ability to change players in career mode, etc

I think you get the idea, and I'm not the only one. I absolutely LOVE playing this game, esp on PC however it pains me to see the shortcomings of the career mode, esp if you immerse yourself in your career.

Anyway, I'm sincerely hoping the BA devs are reading this and have a good think about possibly throwing in changes.

Not providing a working database is kind of a product quality issue. One resolution would be the previously suggested "Planet Cricket Recommendation" option, which would allow people to download a particular set designated by people here, but ultimately if the answer is "don't be lazy, do it yourself", that really is a product quality issue, not the users issue. Whilst people striving for accuracy having the option to "make things better" themselves is great, having it so the only way that it's balanced as intended is to have players do it themselves, then there is a bit of an issue.

i'd agree the attributes should be done correctly. however the individual skills not being a reflection of the real-world player is not a product quality issue. you'll generally see that batsmen and bowlers and all-rounders have the right balance, South Africa are better then Bangladesh etc. if you use default skills you'll get some sort of approximation although i have grave doubts about attributes.

once you get into user created players in the academy it's not a product quality issue whatsoever.

people need to remember when using the academy and get best especially:

1) a lot of great-looking players were created in academy beta before Big Ant even opened up attributes and skills so they might be empty
2) even after these things were opened up, a lot of people focussed more on the visuals than the other things
3) even when attributes and skills were set, this was before release and we didn't know anything about gameplay and how skills/attributes would affect that - i know i overpowered things like throw accuracy, arm speed and agility.
4) some of these teams were created 18 months ago - they are going to be out of date now
5) the answer is "don't be lazy, do it yourself" in respect to of downloaded, user created teams. anyone expecting these to be 100% accurate is an idiot. football manager for example has legions of scouts all around the world in every club and they'll suddenly have a "wonderkid" in the game who can barely trap a ball in real life or miss a genuinely good youth player and have him ending up as a league two journeyman. these teams have been created by people like me who know a bit about england and diddly squat about 90% of everyone else, don't follow a lot of non-test formats so can't reliably give up to date odi/t20 squads
6)this forum has a specific thread mentioning reliable users and teams, and gives guidance on how to set things up that INCLUDES "double-check the teams and players you really care about" - people want to ignore and use get best and nothing else, fine. i'm glad their game gets jumbled up.

as i mentioned in another thread, people are playing hundreds of hours on this game and can't be bothered to spend a few hours tweaking the academy yet spend longer than it would take to fix on this forum bitching about it - screw them, on every level.

as i mentioned in another thread, people are playing hundreds of hours on this game and can't be bothered to spend a few hours tweaking the academy yet spend longer than it would take to fix on this forum bitching about it - screw them, on every level.
This one i agree 100% because i too came up with the same stage. Now trying to make sure i get thing right and tweaking academy and game got alot better.

i'd agree the attributes should be done correctly. however the individual skills not being a reflection of the real-world player is not a product quality issue. you'll generally see that batsmen and bowlers and all-rounders have the right balance, South Africa are better then Bangladesh etc. if you use default skills you'll get some sort of approximation although i have grave doubts about attributes.

once you get into user created players in the academy it's not a product quality issue whatsoever.

people need to remember when using the academy and get best especially:

1) a lot of great-looking players were created in academy beta before Big Ant even opened up attributes and skills so they might be empty
2) even after these things were opened up, a lot of people focussed more on the visuals than the other things
3) even when attributes and skills were set, this was before release and we didn't know anything about gameplay and how skills/attributes would affect that - i know i overpowered things like throw accuracy, arm speed and agility.
4) some of these teams were created 18 months ago - they are going to be out of date now
5) the answer is "don't be lazy, do it yourself" in respect to of downloaded, user created teams. anyone expecting these to be 100% accurate is an idiot. football manager for example has legions of scouts all around the world in every club and they'll suddenly have a "wonderkid" in the game who can barely trap a ball in real life or miss a genuinely good youth player and have him ending up as a league two journeyman. these teams have been created by people like me who know a bit about england and diddly squat about 90% of everyone else, don't follow a lot of non-test formats so can't reliably give up to date odi/t20 squads
6)this forum has a specific thread mentioning reliable users and teams, and gives guidance on how to set things up that INCLUDES "double-check the teams and players you really care about" - people want to ignore and use get best and nothing else, fine. i'm glad their game gets jumbled up.

Of course they shouldn't be a reflection of true world players (as the game has no real world players). There should however be enough of a database that it could be left exactly as default and be playable as intended, which your suggestion was that it really wasn't as such.

I'm also not talking about the hardcore, but rather the more casual player, the type that are needed to keep this series alive long term but actually making the game profitable, rather than us, which will keep a nice modding community for years for this game if it ends up being the only entry in the series.

Again, ultimately I do hope that some system by which people can put up their own selection of downloaded teams and such would be a great option for the future, particularly a "planet cricket recommended" or a more general "search recommended best selection" to download how people have set up their whole database at once. We'll see what comes with patch 3 in the end though.

This 100%! as I have become more familiar with the menus, features, trappings of DBC and DBC academy I have realized how much better the game plays with correct ratings.

This is a real plus and great thing the devs did because I have played many sports games were the ratings are superficial.

But, like blocker said, this means work on the users end to verify accuracy of the academy teams to their satisfaction.

In a perfect world we could check and double check every player on every team and make sure it was dead on. That would take a lot of time and more of a group effort to pull off. But we can certainly get the rosters on the squads pretty damn close and then its just down to the individual users to catch any anomalies.

5) the answer is "don't be lazy, do it yourself" in respect to of downloaded, user created teams. anyone expecting these to be 100% accurate is an idiot.

I have an issue with this. DB14 was released with fake player names, etc but on the expectation that you'd get 'real players' through the 'Get Best' option that pops up as you log in. I mean who in their right mind would ignore this option? Its pretty much built into the game to overwrite the fake default players. But then expecting us to 'not be lazy, do it yourself' on top of that is just plain lazy on the part of the devs. Whats the point of the 'Get Best' option if what you're downloading is just visual stuff but the underlying skills, etc are all wrong? I don't know about you, but I didn't pay full price for a cricket game only to site there for 5 hours to manually edit every players' attributes. I know some people do...thats fine and good on them, however my gaming time is limited - I'm paying full price (twice for xbox and PC) for something I expect to be fully functional and working that I don't have to manually adjust.

I have an issue with this. DB14 was released with fake player names, etc but on the expectation that you'd get 'real players' through the 'Get Best' option that pops up as you log in. I mean who in their right mind would ignore this option? Its pretty much built into the game to overwrite the fake default players. But then expecting us to 'not be lazy, do it yourself' on top of that is just plain lazy on the part of the devs. Whats the point of the 'Get Best' option if what you're downloading is just visual stuff but the underlying skills, etc are all wrong? I don't know about you, but I didn't pay full price for a cricket game only to site there for 5 hours to manually edit every players' attributes. I know some people do...thats fine and good on them, however my gaming time is limited - I'm paying full price (twice for xbox and PC) for something I expect to be fully functional and working that I don't have to manually adjust.

it's user created, it's not done by the devs. you can either have a fixed roster (whether unlicensed or licensed is irrelevant) or you can have user creation and flexibility. but that comes at the price of accepting that neither the creators or the voters know everything about the players, or about the game engine and how skills/attributes translate into gameplay. using get best and not checking the result is lazy and moronic. not understanding the vagaries of a crowd-sourced effort is retarded. calling the devs lazy for the outcome of a crowdsourced user-created tool is laughable. spending more time on this forum bitching about it than it would have taken to make the tweaks yourself is pathetic.

you know how we get the best "get best" teams? people here putting in effort to make the teams, to feedback to each other what's right and not and make tweaks. that's how the community has built up an unbelievable list of reliable, good teams not only matching the on-disc teams but tons of extra teams too. you see something wrong, tweak it, upload the result and tell people here... it'll get uprated.

but no, you'd rather bitch here and blame the devs for something palpably outside of their control. you could contribute but can't be arsed but it's the devs that are lazy.

you're a parasite.

Users who are viewing this thread