Possible solution for edges

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
DBC14 needs to have the amount of edges when bowling increased by quite a bit in my opinion. As it stands if I bowl a whole innings of a test match I will manage to get 2 maybe 3 edges at most. At the same time I will probably get around 30/40 play and misses. If BigAnt could somehow convert around 20% of these to become edges (obviously not all leading to wickets) bowling would become much improved.

With a lot of the play and misses, the ball is missing the bat by a fair distance but some are literally a whisker away from nicking the edge ( The ones that get me shouting at the screen and wanting a sledge button!). So how could we convert these oh so close p&m's so that contact is made?

Well my solution would be to increase the size of the ball. Not so much that it would like a beachball but just enough so that instead of passing the bat we would get the required contact instead.

I don't know a lot about coding but I think this idea would quite easy to implement and don't think you would even notice the increased size.

What do people think?. Good idea or ridiculous?

AshleyWilliam

Banned
Despite what has been said - I don't think its a physics thing. I think edges are scripted to an extent. Too many times I've seen the ball pass through the bat on those play and misses.

SalmanWahidi

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yep. Edges need to be increased. Batpads too.

ellgieff

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Despite what has been said - I don't think its a physics thing. I think edges are scripted to an extent. Too many times I've seen the ball pass through the bat on those play and misses.

Not scripted at all, according to the developers.

The ball going through the bat is a mismatch between the physics engine and the animation engine.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
I think I may have found a way to increase edges. Since I have made these changes I have gone from 3 to 4 in an innings up to 11 in one innings and 7 in the next. I'm going to play a couple of more games and see how they go but bowling has gone from a frustrating chore to really enjoyable. Will update soon.

D

Dutch

I think I may have found a way to increase edges. Since I have made these changes I have gone from 3 to 4 in an innings up to 11 in one innings and 7 in the next. I'm going to play a couple of more games and see how they go but bowling has gone from a frustrating chore to really enjoyable. Will update soon.

Great! Hope it turns out to prove helpful! I really want to get back into bowling but there is too much frustration at the mo....

dhump

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

These ???

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
As it stands if I bowl a whole innings of a test match I will manage to get 2 maybe 3 edges at most.

Which difficulty? I'm struggling to get one edge at the moment on pro.. Anyone else get edges on pro in a test?

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Which difficulty? I'm struggling to get one edge at the moment on pro.. Anyone else get edges on pro in a test?

I had been playing on pro then went back down to amateur as I was finding pro tough and not really enjoyable.( Quite often bowling 100+ overs for only 5/6 wickets!). As I say since I have made the changes my edges have increased by a fair margin on amateur and apart from the aerial shots the matches have been fairly realistic although the AI score at a slowish rate (around 2.75). I'm currently playing on pro again to see if I can get similar results and have played one session and had 2 edges both of which went to 4th slip but didn't have a fielder there so it's 103-1.

I'm actually starting to enjoy the bowling a tad but it has taken over a 1000 overs of bowling to get to a point where I feel I'm pretty good at it. You can definitely bowl to a plan, can bowl bouncers effectively and I've started removing tail without too many issues ( the last 4 wickets for under 40 runs in the last 6 innings played).

I think I could be on to something here but just need the time to test it, the problem being that bowling an innings takes such a long time.

Valaskjalf

Club Captain

Nope, Im also playing on Pro and I hardly ever get edges. I must add that this is in FC Career mode, I tend to get more edges in limited over games.

But as it stands it generall goes like this:
- Fast bowler, tight line on /around off-stump
- ANYTHING directed at the wickets get stonewalled/middled no matter who the batsman is.
- MOST deliveries outside off get middled or missed by about 6 inches.
- I end up with 0 wickets per innings as the AI ploughs through the opposition while I simulate.

Of all cricket games ever, this must be the least satisfying and most pointless bowling experience Ive ever had. I hope whoever said they might have a fix for this will come back with some good news. I stopped playing the game after only having it for about a month - I sure feel great about spending a f***ton of cash on this right about now.

lastig

Club Captain
Nope, Im also playing on Pro and I hardly ever get edges. I must add that this is in FC Career mode, I tend to get more edges in limited over games.

- ANYTHING directed at the wickets get stonewalled/middled no matter who the batsman is.
- I end up with 0 wickets per innings as the AI ploughs through the opposition while I simulate.

Of all cricket games ever, this must be the least satisfying and most pointless bowling experience Ive ever had. I hope whoever said they might have a fix for this will come back with some good news. I stopped playing the game after only having it for about a month - I sure feel great about spending a f***ton of cash on this right about now.
Do what I have started doing. Play competitions and bat for both sides. This has proven to be the most immersive experience that I have had. Currently playing a Provincial Championship in a One day world cup format, playing all the Matches and it is huge fun.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

Give it some time as Big Ant folks are still working on the game. I have no doubts Patch 3 will be much better and the game will come into its own starting next iteration. For a first effort DBC 14 has been heads and shoulders above any other cricket games I've played, and I've played nearly all of them.

Valaskjalf

Club Captain
Give it some time as Big Ant folks are still working on the game. I have no doubts Patch 3 will be much better and the game will come into its own starting next iteration. For a first effort DBC 14 has been heads and shoulders above any other cricket games I've played, and I've played nearly all of them.

Patch 3? Im play on PC, we already have Patch 3 dont we?

Users who are viewing this thread