Post your questions about the game here!

I don't have a chance to read through the great number of pages in this thread so I thought I'd ask few questions on gameplay here:

1. Is batting difficult? I love batting and I know how difficult it is IRL compared to how it is usually modelled in cricket games (eg. being able to hit multiple 6s from good length deliveries, or straight 6s from yorkers...which is a fav AI trick).
2. Bowling - is there reverse swing modelled? if I'm say a leg spinner, do my attributes inc with wickets/games?
3. Batting - can I do a reverse sweep? what about pushes ie. does the ball run on a push (like it does against fast bowlers IRL)? can I do late cuts down to third man?
4. I'm assuming dives are modelled (from running between wickets)?

Thanks

I don't have a chance to read through the great number of pages in this thread so I thought I'd ask few questions on gameplay here:

1. Is batting difficult? I love batting and I know how difficult it is IRL compared to how it is usually modelled in cricket games (eg. being able to hit multiple 6s from good length deliveries, or straight 6s from yorkers...which is a fav AI trick).
2. Bowling - is there reverse swing modelled? if I'm say a leg spinner, do my attributes inc with wickets/games?
3. Batting - can I do a reverse sweep? what about pushes ie. does the ball run on a push (like it does against fast bowlers IRL)? can I do late cuts down to third man?
4. I'm assuming dives are modelled (from running between wickets)?

Thanks

G'day mate

1) Obviously we won't know for sure how difficult it is until we play it, but the batting controls are completely different (there is a thread on it). BA games have a history of being quite difficult
2 Yes, there is reverse swing. You even have to shine the ball! I'm pretty sure it's condition-dependent, so in some places the rough side will roughen up quicker. I hope they didn't make it swing more in cloudy conditions because that is a myth
3 Yes, there is a wide range of unorthodox shots available (there is a button for it). The reverse sweep is definitely included (Ross joked at it being in DLC for the Ashes game) although it's hardly even that unorthodox these days!
4 Yes. Ross has specifically said that fielders will dive to save boundaries. I assume batsmen also dive although I haven't seen it mentioned specifically. Heck, even Cricket 97 had diving batsmen I think...

I hope they didn't make it swing more in cloudy conditions because that is a myth

The ball swings more due to the heaviness in the air (humidity, if you may). This normally occurs when there is a possibility of rain, hence clouds. Thus, for the sake of a game, for us to recognise the possibility of greater swinging conditions, clouds=swing may not be a bad idea.

However, yes, in reality, swing is not because of clouds.

The ball swings more due to the heaviness in the air (humidity, if you may). This normally occurs when there is a possibility of rain, hence clouds. Thus, for the sake of a game, for us to recognise the possibility of greater swinging conditions, clouds=swing may not be a bad idea.

However, yes, in reality, swing is not because of clouds.

Actually this is part of the myth. I should have been more specific because I don't think anyone actually thinks clouds cause swing, but rather it's the different air conditions.

I can show you papers if you like. I had a very good book of "sports physics" detailing everything from golf ball slices to cricket swing, but that's back in Australia. No proof could be found of the humidity causing more swing.

There are, however, a couple of possible indirect effects:

1) Damper conditions lead to a more moist outfield so it's easier to shine one side, but on the other hand it'd take longer to roughen the other
2) The placebo affect. Cricket is such a mental game. If a bowler rocks up and see clouds, he'll feel confident (if he believes the myth). Likewise, it could hurt a batsman's confidence.

Michael Holding made an interesting comment the other day. *queue Caribbean accent* "I know the scientists will say it has no effect but if you're a fast bowler and you see clouds you know you're in for a good day"

----------

After a quick Google, I found this, which says almost exactly what this book said. Maybe even the same guy:

NASA proves the theory behind the swing of a cricket ball - Criclounge.com

Actually this is part of the myth. I should have been more specific because I don't think anyone actually thinks clouds cause swing, but rather it's the different air conditions.

I can show you papers if you like. I had a very good book of "sports physics" detailing everything from golf ball slices to cricket swing, but that's back in Australia. No proof could be found of the humidity causing more swing.

There are, however, a couple of possible indirect effects:

1) Damper conditions lead to a more moist outfield so it's easier to shine one side, but on the other hand it'd take longer to roughen the other
2) The placebo affect. Cricket is such a mental game. If a bowler rocks up and see clouds, he'll feel confident (if he believes the myth). Likewise, it could hurt a batsman's confidence.

Michael Holding made an interesting comment the other day. *queue Caribbean accent* "I know the scientists will say it has no effect but if you're a fast bowler and you see clouds you know you're in for a good day"

Maybe you are right then. And now because of you I will be able to swing the ball in any condition, cause I know I can do it (reverse placebo effect!!?).

Great! PC.net has helped me improve as bowler! :cheers :D

Maybe you are right then. And now because of you I will be able to swing the ball in any condition, cause I know I can do it (reverse placebo effect!!?).

Great! PC.net has helped me improve as bowler! :cheers :D

As a batsman, it helps me because I never get worried by it. As a part-time swing bowler, it helps me because I know I need to work on my technique and not just hope for clouds!

I don't go around telling all my teammates though, I don't like to spoil their illusion.

I wonder if it will be in the game though. Since they have gone to the trouble of having manual ball shining, I wouldn't be surprised. I wouldn't even mind if the ball did swing a bit more in overcast conditions, but only due to the indirect effect on the ball condition.

----------

Also the NASA guy was Pakistani, so perhaps you can spread the gospel throughout India! :cheers

Having read that article, I think that due to the 'heaviness', the force on the side that pushes the ball to swing would increase. Thus, the extra swing. What do you say?

Don't get me wrong but many of BigAnt Studio's games didn't do well on scores by IGN and many other reviewing websites.. I hope this game gets a 9/10 from IGN :yes

@whiteninness

heya mate, long time no see.

Don't get me wrong but many of BigAnt Studio's games didn't do well on scores by IGN and many other reviewing websites.. I hope this game gets a 9/10 from IGN :yes

That is because every Big Ant Studios' games are different and needs to be mastered to enjoy it and the "CRITICS" do not spend much time on a game for reviews so the gamers point of view its a HIT but from critics point of view its "COMPLICATED":D

Only shane 99 got good reviews by mags, if they like or love it then we will kill for it.

Last edited:
That is because every Big Ant Studios' games are different and needs to be mastered to enjoy it and the "CRITICS" do not spend much time on a game for reviews so the gamers point of view its a HIT but from critics point of view its "COMPLICATED":D

I havent played any of big ant studios ganes but the critics dont like big ant studio games but on ther other side common players reviews show that they liked the gameand thats what matter.

@whiteninness

heya mate, long time no see.

Yeah this game brought me out of the dungeons!

Inevitably someone will review the PC version, complain that a controller is needed, then give it a 6/10. They won't appreciate how important the controller is.

Oh and, barring a huge licence reveal, the lack of licences will get canned.

They won't appreciate how important the controller is.

or the gameplay....

Brian Lara 99 and BLC 2005 were praised by many critics.

BLC 2005 :

Reaction from the public and critics was very good with ratings averaging around 7.5 out of 10.[2] Most criticism is of the player designs not resembling the actual people, which is a licensing issue. There is also a problem with the wicket keeper who doesn't wear a helmet like in many other cricket games.[3] Some other shortcomings include no overthrows and running on overthrow, batsman cannot come down the track to hit or defend, the ball is always thrown to the wicketkeeper rather than at the stumps or to the bowler leaving balls driven to midoff easier to run on, and leaving the ball without playing a shot reduces the batsman's confidence. Batting and bowling averages of players do not evolve with play, unless the player has created a career player.

There is also a minor error. Ravi Rampaul, the West Indies fast bowler of Indian descent, is classified as a leg-spinner. As a result, he usually opens the bowling for West Indies in the game.

BLC : 2007

Initial reviews of BLIC 07 were average to good.[7] The game was viewed as a solid replacement for Brian Lara International Cricket 2005 with improvements in most areas. There was criticism, reviewers complained of a lack of improvement in the graphics despite being a next generation game, and the gameplay being too easy.[8] Other reviews commented on how the game might not appeal to non cricket fans.[9] Also criticised is the lack of statistical tracking that occurs during television coverage of cricket[10] despite claims it emulates the coverage well.[5] The game has been praised for its relatively realistic simulation of real cricket.[11] The cricket-gaming community has taken less well to the game. The official Planetcricket.net Review[12] gave the game a 3 for gameplay and a 6 overall. The review claimed that:

"Ultimately, whilst Codemasters have undoubtedly worked hard on this title and implemented some nifty new features it seems they have neglected the sine qua non of cricket gaming ? the gameplay.

Put simply the game has major pacing issues and the AI is depressingly stupid."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread