Post your questions about the game here!

A focus group is a maticulously, well managed, highly controlled research environment.

This forum is far from that.

What I meant was, we aren't just beggars receiving crumbs from the table. Big Ant have a captive, engaged and in some parts knowledgable audience giving feedback/opinion on a game some of which has been acted on. And they have got it for free.

Everyone one of us will be doing word of mouth marketing for this title.

The idea that only we get out of it and should be grateful, unquerying and obsequious is ridiculous.

What I meant was, we aren't just beggars receiving crumbs from the table. Big Ant have a captive, engaged and in some parts knowledgable audience giving feedback/opinion on a game some of which has been acted on. And they have got it for free.

Everyone one of us will be doing word of mouth marketing for this title.

The idea that only we get out of it and should be grateful, unquerying and obsequious is ridiculous.

I am grateful for all input and always try to reciprocate as best I can, I am sincerely sorry that I have not met your standards. I shall endeavour to improve.

Last I'll say on this, so take a free hit...

Speaking of free hits... are they in the game after a no ball?

I think it is offensive to anyone that you have judged in that way, it is certainly not how I view people here.

In terms of myself, and Big Ant, the reality is that everyone here is a fan of cricket and will likely buy both games, and in any case make up less than1% of sales, if that. I am here to have some banter, and *fun*, which it mostly is.

You think nobody here thinks any questioning of you is out of order?

Like if for example someone said they enjoyed and liked the screenshots and video today, thought they were outstanding even, but queried the denial anything would be released today, do you think people would focus on the positive response to the releases, or shoot down the query or the right to make it?

I know what I THINK would happen, just a pity I have no evidence to back it up...

Are we seriously having a discussion complaining about Ross delivering more than was promised? That he 'lied' to give us more screenshots/video?

Seriously?

Find something else to complain about.

Are we seriously having a discussion complaining about Ross delivering more than was promised? That he 'lied' to give us more screenshots/video?

Seriously?

Find something else to complain about.

No complaint. Scepticism that it was all part of a plan given the previous denial.

Oh, and A LOT of praise for the quality of the released stuff. Including a "good job Big Ant"

I see what I did wrong.

What I meant was, we aren't just beggars receiving crumbs from the table...

I kinda see your point, while I don't agree with you at all I am a bit annoyed at every other page on every other thread someone is begging for a new screen, video or something for some obscure reasoning. I understand the whole 'birthday' thing today, but we had roman-era street begging happening in the General Discussion thread for pages and pages today, then a thread created... and then official images and videos do appear. It does give the impression to an outsider joining (or a new member such as yourself) that we're some looney bunch of ADD riddled kids grabbing pomegranate thrown at us from the kings table. So while I don't necessarily agree with you on the above-critique angle you're taking (which is factually untrue, many including myself have been critical of a lot of things) I can see where you're coming from.

Although that is not in ANYWAY indicative of Ross' conduct on the forums and in fact, he's more 'down in the trenches' with us more often than not, it's just frustrating that there's a growing number of members basically begging for stuff every other day for arbitrary reasons. Fridays used to be "Fun" because we didn't know what to expect... now there's an expectation among a growing number that we deserve something on Friday... that persistent pestering is something appropriate to do and for me, it just doesn't sit right and is a little embarrassing, to be honest.

Lets keep it FUN and approach any pre-release stuff we get as something thats neat, but we don't need to beg, plead and invent reasons to provoke response from developers to fill our waking moments with pretty pictures and videos. It's just a little awkward and it does get hard for me (personally) to see a few of you guys as authorities or experienced in cricket gaming during some of the more interesting discussions we have, if a day ago you were pleading for videos because your cat turned 5...

So, in closing my "Q&A" on-topic post is:

Question: Can we keep our requests and demands for 'pretty things' from BigAnt to a very limited, sensible and respectful basis and can we, if possible, just look forward to being surprised rather than carry an expectation that we deserve something every other day

Answer: Should be yes.

EDIT: barely on topic, but needed to be said. Look, G4aD ...no Photoshop!

Last edited:
Speaking of free hits... are they in the game after a no ball?

I think there is something about free hits in the match designer; so they probably are in there if you would like them to be!

Thank you Biggs, that is a considered and sensible response.

Re begging, I fully agree with you. I don't expect anything from Big Ant that isn't part of their marketing plan. I did (based on Ross' previous denial of any release today) query the strategy to ignore something like today. When stuff was released, I did then query his assertion it was all part of a plan, based on his previous denial.

BUT I also praised the quality of the shots/video, said how much i liked it in every post, (and emailed links to friends)...

and all i got was told "be happy for what you got", "don't question ross" etc. THAT's where the srofolosi grateful for the king's touch / beggars waiting for crumbs came... and i'll repeat my apology if anyone finds that offensive, but it's genuinely my feeling base on observation/experience

I kinda see your point, while I don't agree with you at all I am a bit annoyed at every other page on every other thread someone is begging for a new screen, video or something for some obscure reasoning. I understand the whole 'birthday' thing today, but we had roman-era street begging happening in the General Discussion thread for pages and pages today, then a thread created... and images and videos do appear. It does give the impression to an outsider joining (or a new member such as yourself) that we're some looney bunch of ADD riddled kids grabbing pomegranate thrown at us from the kings table...

Although that is not in ANYWAY indicative of Ross' conduct on the forums and in fact, he's more 'down in the trenches' with us more often than not, it's just frustrating that there's a growing number of members basically begging for stuff every other day for arbitrary reasons. Fridays used to be "Fun" because we didn't know what to expect... now there's an expectation among a growing number that we deserve something on Friday... that persistent pestering is something appropriate to do and for me, it just doesn't sit right and is a little embarrassing, to be honest.

Lets keep it FUN and approach any pre-release stuff we get as something thats neat, but we don't need to beg, plead and invent reasons to provoke response from developers to fill our waking moments with pretty pictures and videos. It's just a little awkward and it does get hard for me (personally) to see a few of you guys as authorities or experienced in cricket gaming during some of the more interesting discussions we have, if a day ago you were pleading for videos because your cat turned 5...

Question: Can we keep our requests and demands for 'pretty things' from BigAnt to a very limited, sensible and respectful basis and can we, if possible, just look forward to being surprised rather than carry an expectation that we deserve something every other day

To be honest Ross doesnt need to give us anything. Have you ever seen a dev this active on a forum ever? I havent so whatever he gives is whatever he gives. Why keep pestering him for stuff? He's going to release it when he's going to release it, he obviously has a set-out plan of what he is going to release and when he is going to release it. Cant we all just be happy that a development team is even talking to us on Planetcricket this actively instead of asking stupid questions like whether we can re-enact umpires taking the light meter out and deciding whether to go off for bad light?

Oh yeah and he is never going to give you a release date here on the forums so stop pestering him for it. When the release date is made official, expect to hear it from gaming media outlets first then discuss it here.

Please don't ever say that out loud again, Matt will infringe me for not 'staying in character'

Re begging, I fully agree with you... and all i got was told "be happy for what you got", "don't question ross" etc. THAT's where the srofolosi grateful for the king's touch / beggars waiting for crumbs came...

Totally, and I appreciate your point because i've thought more recently that's kinda the impression we may be giving to 'outsiders' or 'new members' as the forum gets more active closer to the games release - that being, we're a bunch of sycophantic indoctrinated fanboys. Which isn't the case. Given you're new, I suggest (if you can stomach it) go right back to the beginning of the general discussion thread a year or so ago, where there was a BUNCH of skepticism surrounding this product and plenty of questions being asked of the reliability of Ross and BigAnt.

What I'm happy to report is they've MORE than lived up to their end of the bargain and put money where mouths are time and time again, which I think is why you see a generally pretty positive feeling and unquestionable loyalty (at best?) towards their product. Ross and the team have EARNED that.

Harder for new people to see of course, because you will experience a lot of the 2009 (and earlier) members who are a little more savvy (having had a bit of a sour experience with EA and Codemasters) are now being a little more gracious and accepting of the unmolested access we have, which is something we've never had before on PlanetCricket. Anyone joining now doesn't understand that this sort of thing has never, ever, happened before and it's absolutely unique for a cricket product to have this kind of real-time ability to communicate our thoughts directly to the source... and then see real, tangible changes and benefits to the product based on our recommendations.

BigAnt and to a lesser extent Trickstar take this forum pretty seriously, we're the 'hard core' and we've earned that by being a pretty savvy, decent bunch* with a good lot of information and experience with cricket games. I would hate for newer members to assume that we're begging, obsessives waiting for a fix on Fridays. Which is the impression, I believe... you may have got.

EDIT:

*Biggs not included in this sentence.

Last edited:

Re begging, I fully agree with you. I don't expect anything from Big Ant that isn't part of their marketing plan. I did (based on Ross' previous denial of any release today) query the strategy to ignore something like today. When stuff was released, I did then query his assertion it was all part of a plan, based on his previous denial.

BUT I also praised the quality of the shots/video, said how much i liked it in every post, (and emailed links to friends)...

and all i got was told "be happy for what you got", "don't question ross" etc. THAT's where the srofolosi grateful for the king's touch / beggars waiting for crumbs came... and i'll repeat my apology if anyone finds that offensive, but it's genuinely my feeling base on observation/experience

You do go on mate! If you want to post the same garbage then just quote yourself.

I said one free hit, which you took - thanks for that :rolleyes - not freaking five!

Now prove me wrong and drop it.

Ross, I really believe he's a genuine guy with the wrong impression of how this place works based on the activity [read: begging] that went on today based around an arbitrary date on a calendar...

Wrong end of the stick, basically. That's my summation. I'll leave it there.

Be great if the relevant staff could filter out some of the more asinine pleading and requesting that goes on, I've seen more deleted for a lot less.

Peace.

*places mic politely on the table*

I think it would be clear to anyone that can read between the lines that I am not happy about it either. A no win situation that is out of hand - at least you guys don't have to see my PM's :)

BD can I call you that.:D
You have to think like we scratch your back and you will scratch mine saying here. We have helped ross with cricket academy over the last few months and at the same time got to know each other a lot better for it and now and then ross likes to give us presents that we all enjoy a hell of a lot.:clap
Ross has been fun to have around for being a man with power sure but not in a normal boss kind of way.
Now like Biggs said yes I see your point but like you know us cricket fans have been treated like crap for like 15 years and in some ways ross/bigant are the hero's we have been looking for, do we beg sometimes sure but if you don't ask then you will never get anything.

Respect your view man but maybe you could use your words a little better, trust me if you write a little wrong on here you will know. Now when is the r..... date ross.:p

Users who are viewing this thread