Post your questions about the game here!

Hi Ross I have one question regarding the team selection of CPU. Can we select the team to make it more realistic nd competitive or it will be as per the playing conditions. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Hi Ross I have one question regarding the team selection of CPU. Can we select the team to make it more realistic nd competitive or it will be as per the playing conditions. Sorry if this has been asked before.

I think it was MikeM who said that CPU selection is done by AI using various parameters like player attributes, style, playing conditions etc.

Hey Ross/Mikey,

Does the type of bat still affect the result of the shot? eg. Thicker edges let the ball travel further. Ross mentioned that it would last year and I was wondering if it's still in the game as it hasn't been spoke of since. Thanks :)

Hi Ross / Mikey,

Appreciate there has been a lot of other stuff going on, but have you (either here or on Big Ant forum) been able to address all the skills questions?

I was assigning some skills yesterday, and I noticed a few things:

1)it's extremely difficult to set an off spinner to be a decent spinner, but not having loads of deliveries in his armoury. if you set him with an arm ball, off break, and top spinner he is likely to be a 2 helmet guy... maybe 3 if you max them out. but also because he doesn't have a lot of "bowling" points, making him anything other than a rabbit sets him as an all rounder, and this will bring him down to 1 or 2 score on the helmet. creating traditional english spinners - ashley giles, for example - is next to impossible. instead of a reasonable spinner and a decent bat, but still definitely a bowler, you end up with a terrible all rounder.
2) if i nearly max out the arm ball, off break and top spinner, he will be a level 2 spinner, but if i only put between 50%/75% in each delivery including leg break, flipper/slider etc. he will be a level 4 - so who will bowl the better off break, an almost maxed out level 2, or a 70% level 4?
3)same with seam bowlers. again i am finding you can max out throw accuracy in attributes, then max out straight seam etc. but unless you give them lots of other deliveries (in/out swing, slower ball, cutters) they are never gonna be a high level... if you tried to create mcgrath/ambrose - max accuracy, max straight seam, high cutters, high slower ball, low swing - you're gonna get a level 3 or 4 bowler, not a level 5.

it's becoming a huge concern to me because i am coming at it from every angle but i just can't figure out how to have an accurate reflection. please give us some more info.

Hi Ross / Mikey,

Appreciate there has been a lot of other stuff going on, but have you (either here or on Big Ant forum) been able to address all the skills questions?

I was assigning some skills yesterday, and I noticed a few things:

1)it's extremely difficult to set an off spinner to be a decent spinner, but not having loads of deliveries in his armoury. if you set him with an arm ball, off break, and top spinner he is likely to be a 2 helmet guy... maybe 3 if you max them out. but also because he doesn't have a lot of "bowling" points, making him anything other than a rabbit sets him as an all rounder, and this will bring him down to 1 or 2 score on the helmet. creating traditional english spinners - ashley giles, for example - is next to impossible. instead of a reasonable spinner and a decent bat, but still definitely a bowler, you end up with a terrible all rounder.
2) if i nearly max out the arm ball, off break and top spinner, he will be a level 2 spinner, but if i only put between 50%/75% in each delivery including leg break, flipper/slider etc. he will be a level 4 - so who will bowl the better off break, an almost maxed out level 2, or a 70% level 4?
3)same with seam bowlers. again i am finding you can max out throw accuracy in attributes, then max out straight seam etc. but unless you give them lots of other deliveries (in/out swing, slower ball, cutters) they are never gonna be a high level... if you tried to create mcgrath/ambrose - max accuracy, max straight seam, high cutters, high slower ball, low swing - you're gonna get a level 3 or 4 bowler, not a level 5.

it's becoming a huge concern to me because i am coming at it from every angle but i just can't figure out how to have an accurate reflection. please give us some more info.

I agree with all your points Blocker. To be honest, I am totally ignoring the helmet rating and hope the gameplay will accurately reflect the att/skills assigned to my players, then the helmet rating will be irrelevant.

I think in one of the MikeM q and a's I remember him saying something about a level 5 rating for each individual skill will give that player test standard for that specific element. I hope he was talking about skills individually and not the helmet rating.

I agree with all your points Blocker. To be honest, I am totally ignoring the helmet rating and hope the gameplay will accurately reflect the att/skills assigned to my players, then the helmet rating will be irrelevant.

I think in one of the MikeM q and a's I remember him saying something about a level 5 rating for each individual skill will give that player test standard for that specific element. I hope he was talking about skills individually and not the helmet rating.

I took it as helmet rating... So it's important to know if the bars are absolute or relative? If offbreak delivery is 80% for a level 2 spinner, is his offbreak better than a guy who is level 5 but has only 60% offbreak?

It would be better if we choose their level and role and get points for that. Eg level 5 we have 100 points to assign and level 3 only 65 for example.

Current system almost tries to be too clever/flexible

Last edited:
I took it as helmet rating... So it's important to know if the bars are absolute or relative? If offbreak delivery is 80% for a level 2 spinner, is his offbreak better than a guy who is level 5 but has only 60% offbreak?

Just found what Mike said, I interpret it as individual skills rather than helmet rating. Here it is:

As far as listing out skills, think of it as this

Level 5 Skill - a player plays that stroke, delivers that ball at a Test Player Standard
Level 4 Skill - First Class
Level 3 Skill - County/State Seconds
Level 2 Skill - Club Cricketer
Level 1 Skill - Pub Cricketer (me)

You might say that a player may be test standard at hitting a front foot drive, but is only first class standard at a back foot pull shot. Tailenders in test teams, might only be Club Cricketer standard at any back foot shots.

----------

To me that would mean my Monty Panesar would bowl a really good off spin because I have given him a high offspin rating, even though the game has assigned him a 1 on his helmet.

Last edited:
Just found what Mike said, I interpret it as individual skills rather than helmet rating. Here it is:

As far as listing out skills, think of it as this

Level 5 Skill - a player plays that stroke, delivers that ball at a Test Player Standard
Level 4 Skill - First Class
Level 3 Skill - County/State Seconds
Level 2 Skill - Club Cricketer
Level 1 Skill - Pub Cricketer (me)

You might say that a player may be test standard at hitting a front foot drive, but is only first class standard at a back foot pull shot. Tailenders in test teams, might only be Club Cricketer standard at any back foot shots.

----------

Would be good to know what the helmet is all about... Because if you max out only a few deliveries you got a guy with a test standard off spinner and arm ball but a 2 rating. What does it mean???

We need to know before hand. I have done a lot of work on players and teams - if you start playing and the skills are all wrong and you have a load more work to do it is gonna be hugely frustrating.

With the current bars and info, how do I know it's a level 5 skill? The bar might be maxed out but the helmet says 2, who do I listen to? May be that I have over skilled some players in that case trying to get the helmet up.

Just a giant ball ache at the moment. Killing my enthusiasm to do any more in CA which in turn is killing my enthusiasm for the game. No point in having the look/names right if you can't get them to play right.

Would be good to know what the helmet is all about... Because if you max out only a few deliveries you got a guy with a test standard off spinner and arm ball but a 2 rating. What does it mean???

We need to know before hand. I have done a lot of work on players and teams - if you start playing and the skills are all wrong and you have a load more work to do it is gonna be hugely frustrating.

With the current bars and info, how do I know it's a level 5 skill? The bar might be maxed out but the helmet says 2, who do I listen to? May be that I have over skilled some players in that case trying to get the helmet up.

Just a giant ball ache at the moment. Killing my enthusiasm to do any more in CA which in turn is killing my enthusiasm for the game. No point in having the look/names right if you can't get them to play right.

Personally I think putting in work before release is a bit risky, even if they gave us all the information we needed. We won't have the absolute best idea on ratings/skills until we've played the game a little bit. Obviously we'll have ideas of general ratings (Johnson poor accuracy, Anderson swing, Philander seam movement etc.), but we won't know exactly how it translates until we play

I feel your pain Blocker, but I am just going to trust the att/skills. Personally I think (hope) the helmet rating is a bit of a crappy way to rate a player overall, would be nice to get some conformation off BA though.

Users who are viewing this thread