Post your questions about the game here!

Personally I think putting in work before release is a bit risky, even if they gave us all the information we needed. We won't have the absolute best idea on ratings/skills until we've played the game a little bit. Obviously we'll have ideas of general ratings (Johnson poor accuracy, Anderson swing, Philander seam movement etc.), but we won't know exactly how it translates until we play

But if the give us the theory, we can make a start. When the game is in my hands at last I want to play... I don't want to wait ages sorting everything out that could have been done on advance. We have been given loads of info for which I am truly grateful, but now we are missing some seriously important info to make the game enjoyable from day one. The Mikey thread was mostly noise and very little signal, through (mostly) no fault of his.

I know we're gonna have to tweak stuff when we have it, but that's different to starting from scratch. The info we're asking for isn't huge, shouldn't be sensitive or subject to license approval, too late for competitors to steal, and would make the game more enjoyable from day one. Right now people will be downloading and linking players with the right name and look but they ain't gonna play right at all.

Hey Ross/MikeM/HBK,
If possible, could you please reply to the following:

You had mentioned that the direction that the ball goes after hitting the bat would be determined by physics as to where it hit the bat etc. I think Mike also mentioned that the RAS is used to determine the direction in which you want to hit the ball rather than controlling the bat. So, taking into consideration both these facts, say if I try to hit a pull shot to a short ball off the back foot, what would be the deciding factors for where the ball will hit the bat, i.e. will it take the top edge, bottom edge, miss completely or hit the middle of the bat......how is this decided?

Hey Ross/MikeM/HBK,
If possible, could you please reply to the following:

You had mentioned that the direction that the ball goes after hitting the bat would be determined by physics as to where it hit the bat etc. I think Mike also mentioned that the RAS is used to determine the direction in which you want to hit the ball rather than controlling the bat. So, taking into consideration both these facts, say if I try to hit a pull shot to a short ball off the back foot, what would be the deciding factors for where the ball will hit the bat, i.e. will it take the top edge, bottom edge, miss completely or hit the middle of the bat......how is this decided?

Surely the deciding factor will be timing, if you time moving the RAS then you will middle it, if not your going to edge it or miss completely

@angy, i believe the skills of the batsman will play a huge role regarding that. Specially his flat bat skills.

@ blocker i like the idea about us determining the helmet rating directly and getting a certain amount of points based on that to distribute. Except more points allocated for all rounders.

And i would like a rating scale based on 10 with .5 increments.

I guess the helmet thing isn't much to look at. May be it helps distinguish between a good offspinner and a poor offspinner at a glance (that'd still be with its fair share of flaws as BD mentioned about bowlers like McGrath).

Been doing the skills thing ignoring the helmet number so far. But I'd seriously like Ross to shed some light on this issue. It'd seriously make things a lot easier and make the game playable (as we like, with the correct names and all) from day 1.

----------

Second that, Israr. Rating out of 100 is pretty baseless anyway. Gonna create inconsistent players across the server. And no one bothers about a 70 or 71. 70-75-80 sounds perfect.

We will answer these concerns tomorrow, thanks for the patience shown :)

@ blocker i like the idea about us determining the helmet rating directly and getting a certain amount of points based on that to distribute. Except more points allocated for all rounders.

absolutely...
e.g. a level 5 batter gets 100 points to be assigned across the batting skills, 20 points for the bowling (since they can usually all bowl a bit...)

a level 5 batting all rounder gets 75 batting points, 45 bowling points... bowling all rounder 45 batting points, 75 bowling points

level 5 bowler gets 100 bowling points, 20 batting points...

then adjusted down as you go down levels.

a level 1 "spinner" who can deliver a test class off spinner is just weird. @sahilnatu / @superfreddie i don't think we can ignore the helmet, because what is it for? i don't get the impression there is much in the game just thrown in for sh*ts and giggles... (except bobbleheads...) i think it's thought out and means something, they just haven't told us what.

Last edited:
Blocker...yup. Sounds good...except a batting all rounder should get the whole 100 points for batting or how else can you make a kallis or sobers? Same with bowling allrounders.

Hope mikey and ross give these ideas a thought.

Blocker...yup. Sounds good...except a batting all rounder should get the whole 100 points for batting or how else can you make a kallis or sobers? Same with bowling allrounders.

Hope mikey and ross give these ideas a thought.

good point...

obviously there's a very good chance they've got all bases covered already, but until tomorrow we're sort of groping blindly. Much like me when the train goes in a tunnell...

----------

Sadly we will never be able to replicate Sobers; fantastic batsman, quality bowler whether spin or seam... There have been better exponents of all three arts, but nobody who was high class at all three. Unbelievable cricketer.

Agree with the points allocation idea but like someone said, how do you make a kallis or a sobers? The problem for bigant is more to do with people creating teams of 5 star all rounders all of which can bat like bradman/Tendulkar and bowl like steyn/warne. I get the impression if you're making your teams for yourself you will be honest and fair, but if you're gonna play online you're not gonna make a bowler who cannot bat at all! A world class bat can play all the shots but a world class bowler doesnt bowl every delivery. The helmet rating maybe could come in 3 colours, bat-bowl-all rounder, also remove the certain deliveries that certain bowlers don't bowl, eg leg break for off spinner.. Then you can make a 5 star off spinner that doesn't bowl leg breaks like warne. Hopefully it'll all be cleared up tomoro.

good point...

obviously there's a very good chance they've got all bases covered already, but until tomorrow we're sort of groping blindly. Much like me when the train goes in a tunnell...

----------

Sadly we will never be able to replicate Sobers; fantastic batsman, quality bowler whether spin or seam... There have been better exponents of all three arts, but nobody who was high class at all three. Unbelievable cricketer.

Have hardly seen sobers play except some old footage, and hence I am more of a kallis fan in the sobers vs kallis debate. But incredible achievement by both and it is astonishing the way kallis has handled his fitness in today's super busy schedule. Greatest CRICKETER for me in this era at the least.

So about that dark tunnel....i hope whatever you groped wasnt hard and stiff.

Users who are viewing this thread