Post your questions about the game here!

Bigant's in-game commentary could probably benefit from some help from you - from IGN's Rugby League Live 2 review - "Unfortunately it?s still horribly repetitive and largely unconvincing."

That is the commentary they are talking about.

to be fair, from what i heard of the commentary in the play session i was far from impressed, but Ashes 13 is the only sports game I can think of where the commentary wasn't the weakest part of the game, and that is not a compliment to Ashes.

You can't spend the same dollar twice - I think we would all prefer the gameplay and visuals to have the bulk of development money and commentary to be polished in future iterations.

Bigant's in-game commentary could probably benefit from some help from you - from IGN's Rugby League Live review - "Unfortunately it?s still horribly repetitive and largely unconvincing."

I don't think there is a game out there that has commentary that doesn't get repetitive? The key thing is that as long as when the commentators say something, its relative to what's goin on!! The shambollic AC commentary with dear old bumble saying "oh he's middled it" as it trickled along the ground is evidence of that.

You can't polish a turd!!!

To be fair Ross has already said that he considers commentary to be a weak point of the game but all I'd say is what sports game don't you get sick of the commentary in?

FIFA. I love hearing the dull monotonous tone of Alan Smith's voice as he repetitively regales us with stories of his illustrious career.

Bigant's in-game commentary could probably benefit from some help from you - from IGN's Rugby League Live 2 review - "Unfortunately it?s still horribly repetitive and largely unconvincing."

Also one point i dont get is they almost never say commentary gets repetitive in FIFA ,but say so for every other sports title and mark it down,as far as i have experienced commentary is repetitive and sometimes is even absurd in fifa, like in every sports game as its nt physically possible with current tech to record dynamic commentary according to situation,heck not even skyrim can get rid of repetitiveness in sound department, then why mark down a few games alone.

Something that really annoys me is when a cricket game has a large number of commentators but they all have identical lines and don't rotate.

It was one of the first bits of feedback I gave to the Transmission guys while discussing the beta patches - just to simply have commentary changes during the match so the lines weren't as repetitive - IC2010 didn't implement that and AC13 got even worse by having Bumble and Slater literally reading the same script word for word.

Obviously Big Ant with only two commentators avoid that - but I'd just give the suggestion that silence is okay, we don't need the 'hit straight to a fielder' commentary when you can see that you've just done that. It's not radio.

I do have to say though, I much prefer the slightly stilted inserting of separately recorded names to 'the batsman'.

Something that really annoys me is when a cricket game has a large number of commentators but they all have identical lines and don't rotate.

It was one of the first bits of feedback I gave to the Transmission guys while discussing the beta patches - just to simply have commentary changes during the match so the lines weren't as repetitive - IC2010 didn't implement that and AC13 got even worse by having Bumble and Slater literally reading the same script word for word.

Obviously Big Ant with only two commentators avoid that - but I'd just give the suggestion that silence is okay, we don't need the 'hit straight to a fielder' commentary when you can see that you've just done that. It's not radio.

I do have to say though, I much prefer the slightly stilted inserting of separately recorded names to 'the batsman'.

spot on... it should be implemented according to the benaud "only speak when you add something" principle.

i think someone mentioned here a while back about eschewing "real" commentators and creating your own commentator characters using voice actors.

with clearly defined characters/personalities, and with a good script, this could be amazing in a cricket game with the guys swapped in and out over the course of a game.

If you have played NBA 2k, you would know it gets extremely repetitive too. Consistently recycle lines year on year. I don't expect you to have played it.

It sounds great the first time you hear it. Not the 50th.

Remember hearing Richie Benaud talking about exactly that at some point. The difference in commentary to someone who can see what's happening on television compared to someone who's only listening, and how to make each word count, but that silence was just as important when nothing needed to be added to the pictures. Very interesting but I can't find a link to it.

Edit - mentioned above by Dave as I was typing too, haha!

I've always said the only way to do commentary is to kidnap real commentators and make them work in real-time at gunpoint.

Lol! It must be very hard to implement correctly. I think it's maybe a case of Keep It Simple Stupid!! The more complicated it gets the worse it sounds over time, no matter who does it, even Benaud, Grieg and Lawry would get boring! The thing is, I have rarely missed an England test on tv home or away for 20 yrs( god bless my surgeon) and the commentators definitely repeat themselves as nausium. Athers probably says "good shot, that's fairly raced away 5 times a day!! So its not that big of a deal

If you have played NBA 2k, you would know it gets extremely repetitive too. Consistently recycle lines year on year. I don't expect you to have played it.

It sounds great the first time you hear it. Not the 50th.

I think general gaming opinion suggests that it is the best.

Obviously you are a difficult person to please :rolleyes

I'd just give the suggestion that silence is okay, we don't need the 'hit straight to a fielder' commentary when you can see that you've just done that. It's not radio.

Right.. This is the reason I didn't like the commentary of the AC13
Now can anybody tell that is there a need of commentators like David Lloyd, Michael Slater and Mark Nicholas in a cricket game? Well it's okay but unnecessarily increases the cost..
As Matt said we need good commentators who do not repeat just don't say what wee see.
I think even I could do a better commentary at least than which is done in AC13..
Of course I would charge less:p

Last edited:
I think general gaming opinion suggests that it is the best.

Obviously you are a difficult person to please :rolleyes

Yeh it is the best Ive personally experienced from actuslly playing it for 5+ years. It sounds awesome the first few weeks. Then, like every other game, it gets super repetitive. Especially if you use the same team a lot.

The point is, it's a challenge that all sports games face. By nature of playing a game alot, it becomes repetitive.

Last edited:
Yeh it is the best Ive personally experienced from actuslly playing it for 5+ years. It sounds awesome the first few weeks. Then, like every other game, it gets super repetitive. Especially if you use the same team a lot.

The point is, it's a challenge that all sports games face. By nature of playing a game alot, it becomes repetitive.

That supports the fact that we need more than 2 commentators..
In international matches, we do have about 5-6 commentators. So what's wrong in having these many commentators in the games ?

Users who are viewing this thread