SA or India : The Real Challengers To Australia`s Throne.

These guys are good against pace bowling too.
We can replace Laxman and Dravid but not Tendulkar

Can't find any point in it. Every batsman has done his job in his position. But Indeed, all three are special. They can never be replaced by anybody. They're an era of indian cricket and however replaces them, will have his own way to play cricket. meh.

I think India still gotta win a series in Australia and South Africa if they want to be known as the best team in the world.

Thanks to someone:rolleyes:, India couldn't complete that mission in Australia. They will win SA sooner or later hopefully. But they at least made sure the one day series didn't escape their grasp.

Thanks to someone:rolleyes:, India couldn't complete that mission in Australia. They will win SA sooner or later hopefully. But they at least made sure the one day series didn't escape their grasp.

Umpires make bad decisions happens to every team get over it. If it wasn't for umpiring mistakes it most likely would have ended out in a draw. Theres been plenty of drawn series in Australia in the past but not many victorious.

I hate to say it but I think India are better then South Africa.

Barring the 1st Test, India we're all over us in the recent Test series. In the series against South Africa, we have dominated them for the vast majority of the series and South Africa have been able to pull off a miraculous performance when it has been required.

Plus I think Ishant Sharma is a better bowler then Dale Steyn. Sharma has always been troubling our batsman whilst at times Steyn has looked at sea against Australia. This became apparent on the 4th day of the MCG Test when Hayden was making Steyn look like a medium-trundler before Hayden played a rash shot against him and he never looked like he was going to get Ponting out either in the 2nd innings. He was also quite lucky to Michael Clarke out aswell. However his delievery to Andrew Symonds was absolute class.

Don't get me wrong, I like Steyn, I like his action and his approach to cricket (and his celebrations after taking a wicket!) but his not as dominant as his performances show.

Umpires make bad decisions happens to every team get over it. If it wasn't for umpiring mistakes it most likely would have ended out in a draw. Theres been plenty of drawn series in Australia in the past but not many victorious.

NOT THIS TOPIC AGAIN !:upray

India won't be number 1 because Tendulkar, Dravid and Laxman will be all gone anytime soon and thats there fabulous 4 gone.
If I recall, our ODI team has been performing up to scratch with all of the Fab 4 except Tendulkar gone, for a while. Granted ODI cricket is not Test cricket, but international cricket experience and success is much more valuable than first class success.

sohum added 4 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

It's not so much the depth rather if they step up. I too could list a number of bowlers and batters that can come in for our older players but will they step up is another question. Plus expecting to replace one of the greatest batsmen ever in Tendulkar, two of the best batsmen of our time in Dravid and Laxman will be a very difficult ask. We are finding that out now with trying to replace Gilly, Langer, McGrath and Warne.
The thing for us with our current team is that in this decade, Tendulkar hasn't been in his prime. So India's dependence on him is far less than it was in the 90's. You can say that the Tendulkar we see now replaced the Tendulkar of the 90's. And whoever ends up replacing him won't have as big shoes to fill.

I may be eating my words if this season results in a kick-off season for a second coming of Tendulkar, but right now there's a competition for the best batting performer in the side (with Sehwag, Gambhir, Laxman and Sachin all throwing their hats in). Tendulkar probably takes it, but not with the same ease that he would have a few years back.

If I recall, our ODI team has been performing up to scratch with all of the Fab 4 except Tendulkar gone, for a while. Granted ODI cricket is not Test cricket, but international cricket experience and success is much more valuable than first class success.

Yes, I understand this but our ODI team as also been successful in ODI's without Warne and McGrath (the ODI tour of India is a good example) I still think India will be a stong force, but like Australia they will drop a little bit.

Yes, I understand this but our ODI team as also been successful in ODI's without Warne and McGrath (the ODI tour of India is a good example) I still think India will be a stong force, but like Australia they will drop a little bit.
You're talking about bowling vs. batting, though. In Test cricket, it is much harder to replace bowlers than batsmen because it is the bowlers who ultimately win you a Test match. Contrastingly, in ODI cricket, you can get away with just being a run-saving bowler and be successful. Look at Harbhajan Singh, for example. He is now extremely useful in one-dayers but when it comes to the Tests, he's all over the place with his speed and flight.

If you look at Australia, they were able to find more than quality replacements for the likes of Martyn and Lehmann with the likes of Clarke and Hussey. They are struggling now that they have to replace their bowling. India has never had a really strong bowling line-up and has relied on one or two consistent performers working around Anil Kumble. ZaK has finally stepped up to the plate and Kumble had become more of a liability towards the end of his career, so he was not that difficult to replace (at least in the short run).

I hate to say it but I think India are better then South Africa.

Barring the 1st Test, India we're all over us in the recent Test series. In the series against South Africa, we have dominated them for the vast majority of the series and South Africa have been able to pull off a miraculous performance when it has been required.

Plus I think Ishant Sharma is a better bowler then Dale Steyn. Sharma has always been troubling our batsman whilst at times Steyn has looked at sea against Australia. This became apparent on the 4th day of the MCG Test when Hayden was making Steyn look like a medium-trundler before Hayden played a rash shot against him and he never looked like he was going to get Ponting out either in the 2nd innings. He was also quite lucky to Michael Clarke out aswell. However his delievery to Andrew Symonds was absolute class.

Don't get me wrong, I like Steyn, I like his action and his approach to cricket (and his celebrations after taking a wicket!) but his not as dominant as his performances show.

India beat Australia in India, while South Africa beat Australia in Australia. Makes a big difference the two. It is not very hard to draw a series, but to win it, you need to have that extra bit of quality.

These guys are good against pace bowling too.
We can replace Laxman and Dravid but not Tendulkar

Sorry to burst your bubble but Dravid has been a far more valuable test batsman than you seem to think. As for ODIs, we've already played quite a few series' without Tendulkar, in fact we beat a Sri Lankan bowling attack boasting of M&M in Sri Lanka. Dravid and Sachin play different roles and therefore cannot be compared.

India beat Australia in India, while South Africa beat Australia in Australia. Makes a big difference the two. It is not very hard to draw a series, but to win it, you need to have that extra bit of quality.

India have actually done well against better and more in-form Australian sides than the current one.So,to compare just the most recent of the 2 sries is not fair.When India toured last year,the Aussies were in a much healthier state and their batsmen were all in much better form.A 2-1 loss in the series last year was far closer than the margin would suggest.We broke the Perth jinx and exposed he chinks in the Aussie side for the first time and then followed it up with the CB Series win as well as by regaining the Border-Gavaskar Trophy at home.India have actually played a major role in the Aussie decline.I bet the Indians would have come back with a better result than a 2-1 loss had they toured Australia now.

We must not forget that India are the only side to consistently challenge the Aussies even when they were at their peak.Between 2003 and early this year,India were the only side to beat Australia in Australia and one of only two sides to have beaten them in a series or draw a series against them between the year 2000 and the November 2008.Hence to say that India won only because it was an Aussie side out of form or because they were playing at home would be quite unfair to the Indians.

Last edited:
Sorry to burst your bubble but Dravid has been a far more valuable test batsman than you seem to think. As for ODIs, we've already played quite a few series' without Tendulkar, in fact we beat a Sri Lankan bowling attack boasting of M&M in Sri Lanka. Dravid and Sachin play different roles and therefore cannot be compared.

No need to be sorry;)
This is not sarcasam.

The two teams are quite evenly matched since they both have things in common:

• A strong batting line-up
  • A bowling attack for all conditions
  • An inspirational captain
  • Young players gelling with experienced players

It'll be interesting to see which team can have the most success in the next few years.

Fab4 retiring will not affect India to be honest. Even with those guys in side India never dominated so what gonna change if they leave.

I think its time Pujara gets in. He is being wasted at first class level. Only Tendulkar out of Fab 4 will do for me anyday in India side atm. That also because he inspires young players. Nothing cricketing about it.

Users who are viewing this thread