South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

You should have just stared at the guy who said it was boring for 10 seconds without blinking, no way was it boring! Eventful all the way through.

Here's hoping JP can salvage something (a ton would be nice :D) and bring that lead down to realistically about 100. Harris could hang about, but other than that, he has to go for it.
Harris didn't look great today, looked in all sorts of trouble for most of his innings. I don't think he'll stick around for too long.

And here i thought Siddle needed more development:D
I still think Lee will lose his spot when Clark comes back IF he doesn't perform the way Siddle did. If Siddle can bowl at that kind of pace and as consistent as that there's no need for Lee. To me Lee is just bowling and hoping for a wicket. He bowls 4 ordinary deliveries, a bad delivery and 1 good one every over. Siddle and Johnson tend to bowl less ordinary and more good per over. Plus he's really down on pace. He needs to change the way he bowls. Where Siddle, Hauritz and Johnson was applying pressure it was usually Lee who released it. Example was the Smith and Kallis partnership.

I have no doubt Siddle will bowl at that pace, he was doing that at Perth as well. The difference is his length. His next test will be can he perform outside of the MCG, the SCG test should tell us a bit about that.

Hilfy(opening bowler)
Sid(opening bowler)
Mitch
Natz

or
Stu(opening bowler)
Sid(opening bowler)
Mitch
Natz

Which one would you guys prefer?

Tricky one you could also add
Clark
Hilfy
Johnson
Natz

Has bounce from Clark, swing from Hilfy and pace from Johnson. Hilfy usually gets it in the mid 140s too.

Tricky one you could also add
Clark
Hilfy
Johnson
Natz

Has bounce from Clark, swing from Hilfy and pace from Johnson. Hilfy usually gets it in the mid 140s too.

And spin for Haurtitz. I dont think pitches are that well allround. Some pitches are hard with no swing which would help Clark and Johnson but not Hilfy while Siddle would thrive. Hilfy would do good as a 12th man I think(we need Hilfy for England).

South Africa still trail by 196 runs with 3 wickets remaining in the 1st innings,Aus would like to keep a good lead of 150-170,Siddle bowled accurately and with good pace.

South Africa need to have their tail to morph into the Australian one. Somehow I don't think Ntini will become an improved batsman over-night ;)

Aus looking good this time,if they get good lead this time,they would certainly like to get good 2nd inngs lead,that too above 400-450,lets see...

South Africa need to have their tail to morph into the Australian one. Somehow I don't think Ntini will become an improved batsman over-night ;)

Harris and Steyn can occasionally hold up their end. Steyn also has the ability for the odd lusty blow. Key is JP. He will have to get most of the runs. Need to try to get as close to aus total as possible and then bowl like our lifes depend on it.

The lifeline for South Africa would be that the Australians didn't quite go for the killer blows like they could have. In the second innings at Perth, much of the collapse came from deliveries targeting the body, with the batsman forced to react with survival in mind.

Nope, very poor showing by the Proteas. It seems sanity has prevailed after the 1st test.
Thank goodness i didn't stay up to watch this mess...

Great stuff from siddle
I had doubts about him because his line an length in perth was terrible.
In this match his line an length was very good looked dangerous every over.
I have to agree now that he may be good enough to be in the team.
If he can repeat that bowling display at sydney even if hes unlucky an gets no wickets i will be sold on him.

Still doubt hauritz hes ok on aussie pitches but just doesnt do enough with the ball to be dangerous anywhere else.
Still dont think hes anything more than a good economical spinner who helps to get through the overs quickly.
Young guy from NSW Steven Smith Australia need to give Warney a bag of cash to go teach smith everything he knows, that kids got raw talent and can also bat abit. I wanna see him in the test side within the next 2 years.

We need to get hilfy used to international cricket before the england tour swing bowlers there are an absolute must.

Nope, very poor showing by the Proteas. It seems sanity has prevailed after the 1st test.
Thank goodness i didn't stay up to watch this mess...

haa yeah same here.....Woke up this morning and my dad tells me about the disaster. What happened though? Did we throw it away or what? In the end McKenzie's terrible test (dropped Ponting and got a quacker) could be the decider. I scheme they should give him a rest, move Prince back in for the 3rd test (if hes fit) and get Duminy to open. Heard Vaughn vJ is on stand-by. Hes a bit of a slogger though, not sure if we need 2 attacking guys opening.

Hope we can get a draw out of this....dont think we will though.

And spin for Haurtitz. I dont think pitches are that well allround. Some pitches are hard with no swing which would help Clark and Johnson but not Hilfy while Siddle would thrive. Hilfy would do good as a 12th man I think(we need Hilfy for England).

Well England will swing most of the time so no problem for Hilfy. Plus even the hardest tracks like in India took swing so it's always handy to have the swing bowler. Plus he is a workhorse so I'm sure he would go find on the hard pitches. Could also throw in Bollinger who swings it and can get steep bounce. The way Johnson goes with his wickets maybe Bollinger could also have the same luck.

Users who are viewing this thread