South Africa in Sri Lanka - July/August 2013

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Another poor ODI series performance by a S Africa team that is not allowed to pick its best players for this format of the game, for reasons that are well known by now.

I asked you few days back in General cricket discussion thread about your ideal South African line-up for both T20 and ODI and this is what you posted.

Presuming Kallis is being rested from irrelevant ODI/T20 bilateral series unless its the T20 W-Cup 2014 or AUS/NZ 50 overs in 2015. I would say this:

ODI:

Smith, Amla, Du Plessis, De Villiers, Duminy, Miller, McClaren, Peterson, Morris, M Morkel, Steyn.

Backups: De Kock, Ingram, Weise, Klienvelt/De Lange

Let's start with ODI's. South Africa lost the ODI series by 4-1 and have pathetic record in Sri Lanka. The lineup for most ODI was this:

Ingram/De kock, Amla, De Villiers, Duminy, Du Plessis, Miller, McClaren, Peterson, Morris, Morkel, Tsotsobe.

When Smith is fit, we can expect him to be back in his usual opening position and same can be said about Steyn. Even though I like what I see of Morris, I still think Tsotsobe will keep his position. So the line-up when Smith and Steyn comes back is pretty similar to what you have posted except the fact that Tsotsobe will keep his place instead of Morris. So even by looking at that line-up I don't think the result would have been any different.

I agree with the back-ups you have mentioned. I would love to see more of Marchant de lange rather than useless Rory Klienvielt. F Behardien is also a complete waste as I have not seen him perform at international level a single time.

T20:

Davids, De Kock, Du Plessis, De Villiers, Duminy, Miller, McLaren, Peterson, Morris, M Morkel, Steyn

Ingram/Levi, Van Der Merwe, Weise, Klienvelt/De Lange

I would personally always pick A Morkel in their T20 team, but it seems like the S Africa selectors have lost faith in him & he isn't too interested in playing for the proteas anymore - South Africa Cricket News: Albie Morkel considers his SA career over | ESPN Cricinfo

Again as I have said about ODI team, the team you have posted is pretty much similar to the one that is playing today in the T20 match except the injuries. The main problem I see is that younger players that are coming through are not too good against spinners. I just watched the South African batting against Sri Lankan spinners and it was pathetic. It was a surprise to me that apart from Duminy no one looked in any sort of comfort against Senanayke. I said surprising because Duminy is usually very weak against off spinners but he has surely improved. It was also frustrating to see AB struggling.

Black/coloured players like Tsotsobe, Phangiso, Behradin, Parnell, Ontong who always seem to be around these limited overs teams really don't deserve to be in.

Amla, Duminy, H Davids, R Peterson, Klienvelt are the only coloured/black players who deserve to be in those team on merit.

I agree with this. Phangiso, Behradin, Ontong are totally useless. I would even say that Klienvelt also should be included in this category. I am not sure how good domestic record he has but always struggles when I see him on the international level.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Let's start with ODI's. South Africa lost the ODI series by 4-1 and have pathetic record in Sri Lanka. The lineup for most ODI was this:

Ingram/De kock, Amla, De Villiers, Duminy, Du Plessis, Miller, McClaren, Peterson, Morris, Morkel, Tsotsobe.

When Smith is fit, we can expect him to be back in his usual opening position and same can be said about Steyn. Even though I like what I see of Morris, I still think Tsotsobe will keep his position. So the line-up when Smith and Steyn comes back is pretty similar to what you have posted except the fact that Tsotsobe will keep his place instead of Morris. So even by looking at that line-up I don't think the result would have been any different.

I agree with the back-ups you have mentioned. I would love to see more of Marchant de lange rather than useless Rory Klienvielt. F Behardien is also a complete waste as I have not seen him perform at international level a single time.

Yea as cricinfo noted recently, the proteas have a piss poor record in Sri Lanka. Shocking stuff.

But its not just this series, New Zealand beat them at home earlier this year & they were below par in the champions trophy.

Watching Tsotsobe bowl, i reckon he has added a yard of pace. Around the 140 mph mark this series, which is something i reckon i can work with.

I wonder if S Africa would consider Philander in their ODI soon, watching him bowl in the CPL currently i reckon he is a bit better than just a "test bowler"

Again as I have said about ODI team, the team you have posted is pretty much similar to the one that is playing today in the T20 match except the injuries. The main problem I see is that younger players that are coming through are not too good against spinners. I just watched the South African batting against Sri Lankan spinners and it was pathetic. It was a surprise to me that apart from Duminy no one looked in any sort of comfort against Senanayke. I said surprising because Duminy is usually very weak against off spinners but he has surely improved. It was also frustrating to see AB struggling.

I agree with this. Phangiso, Behradin, Ontong are totally useless. I would even say that Klienvelt also should be included in this category. I am not sure how good domestic record he has but always struggles when I see him on the international level.

Klienvelt is not the greatest, but he can pass as i player i reckon. I would say Morris is a bit more talented, but of course since he is coloured he is being pushed.

But its becoming obvious what the proteas are doing with their quota selection & its preventing their ODI/T20 teams from being really dominant like their test team.

Users who are viewing this thread