South Africa tour of New Zealand, Feb-March 2011/12

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
holy hell philander is incredible.

45 wickets in 6 matches.

if he picks up another 5 in the next match (over two innings so not a huge ask given his form) then only one player will have made it to 50 faster, and that was in 1887 (and the other one that took 7 matches was in 1896) that is insane.

nelson111

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I can understand that New Zealanders haven't been happy with the Black Caps' batting, but please believe me, we aren't particularly pleased with our guys in that department either. Someone who knows the venues: the pitches have looked fairly benign, and the commentators have said as much, but there's got to have been something in them that favours the bowlers? There've been some pretty amazing collapses from both sides! Comments? (Maybe the groundsmen haven't done as BCs have requested and should take some criticism?)

----------

Not that I want to assign blame, was just looking forward to a bit more cricket.

nelson111

School Cricketer
holy hell philander is incredible.

45 wickets in 6 matches.

if he picks up another 5 in the next match (over two innings so not a huge ask given his form) then only one player will have made it to 50 faster, and that was in 1887 (and the other one that took 7 matches was in 1896) that is insane.

Thanks for this, very interesting! Will be watching his next performance with anticipation. I agree, he is incredible, and important to us in a way you may not have considered.

Don't know if you guys are aware of our "quotas" debate, but he, together with Amla, Tsotsobe and a few others (will include Ntini even though not playing anymore) have pretty much put the thing to bed. Never mind "good enough" for SA, they are WORLD CLASS, and we're very proud of them!

teamindia

Club Cricketer
More DRS rubbish

New Zealand v South Africa, 2nd Test, Hamilton: Overrule Virtual Eye errors - inventor | Cricket News | New Zealand v South Africa | ESPN Cricinfo

Ian Taylor, the founder of the ball-tracking system, Virtual Eye, has called upon technicians and umpires to "fess up" and overrule DRS technology if they conclude that the system might have become unreliable because of unavailable data.

Virtual Eye's inventor said that the system had erred because after 6pm the ball-tracking cameras were not able to pick as much data up as they were earlier in the day when the light was brighter. In the case of Ross Taylor's dismissal, of the four cameras at the ground, one was facing direct sunlight, so it did not get the image, and another lost the ball, meaning that the data calculated for the predictive path was only obtained from two cameras.

Last edited:

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
He's been batting middle order recently though, despite moving up to the top of the order briefly last season, and apparently he's going to open in the next test so we'll see how that goes. I would much rather open with McCullum and have Flynn at 3. What do people reckon about Brownlie, would he be a straight swap for Williamson, or do you reckon Arnel will get dropped and everyone will move down one? Batting seems to be the problem this series, and Arnel/Boult as the fourth pacer haven't contributed anything at all.

Guptill
McCullum
Flynn
Taylor
Williamson
Brownlie
Vettori
Van Wyk
Bracewell
Gillespie
Martin

is what I would like to see but I don't know how keen the selectors would be on going back to a 3man pace lineup so soon.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
I reckon Williamson will be in for sure after that 77. That lineup is pretty much bang on to what I'd have. The batting needs strengthening. The bowlers have done well. Would be good to Vettori get a few more wickets 'cause 2 wickets in two Tests isn't really cutting it. That said, he doesn't have the highest of strike rates like other spinners do.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Flynn bats at five for ND, while Williamson bats at three for ND, so they should bat that way around here. Also Williamson came in at 7 for 3 and played well for 77, so he should get promoted to three, otherwise Flynn's going to be hung out to dry if they bat him there considering he doesn't bat there domestically, and he hasn't faced any bowling as good as what he'll be facing in like two years.

It's a shame Bracewell's batting has been such a fail at the international level, considering he was batting as high as six for CD. Yes I know that was in T20 cricket, but it suggests that the potential's definitely there for him to be offering a lot more with the bat.

6ry4nj

International Coach
Under certain conditions, it seems VirtualEye is worse than useless to the DRS umpire as he reviews a decision. It is not stated whether these limitations apply to Hawkeye/Eagle Eye etc. It doesn't change the fact that VirtualEye, the rest of the time, will aid DRS/third umpires in making umpiring decisions better.

teamindia, answer me a simple question:
Do you honestly think that DRS results in a worse standard of umpiring?

ferg512

International Coach
McCullum won't open, he'll continue to bat at 3 because what Brendon wants Brendon gets.

I'd like for Nethula to have been given a go, I would much rather him as a spin option over Vettori.

Users who are viewing this thread