South Africa tour of New Zealand, Feb-March 2011/12

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
southee is weird though, because he was one of the best u19 bowlers in the world, he was also one of the stand out quick bowlers at the world cup and the second highest wicket-taker.

so I'm not sure what the problem is, because sometimes he's world class but a lot of the time he's very disappointing. there is talent there.

He was progressing very nicely under the eye of Allan Donald. He was bowling quick and swinging the ball late, since coming back from injury though he's been very, very average. He's probably become too roundarm also, lost some pace and the ball is swinging from the hand. Too much 20/20 cricket.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
The schedule could do with a rethink. There's a six week window in the middle of summer for the HRV Cup. It's not that NZ doesn't have the weather to do that, it's that no other country thinks they have the weather to do that. Playing only four Tests for the season and leaving most of them until after summer is a bit silly.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Why on earth would they conduct a match if it is a known fact wasting everyones time :facepalm:facepalm

Maybe the Kiwis are happy with a draw? :p If they draw this series and after a drawn one vs Aus, they can say they've had a great summer.

ferg512

International Coach
Tbh I haven't really minded Oram that much. Barry Richards has been the worst commentator that I've ever heard, I've had to mute the TV a few times when he's come on.

Hopefully they drop Tim Sothee, he's been atrocious this test match.

Thats interesting because I found Richards the best of the lot, it balances out the cheerleading from all the NZ commentators (which has almost got to a channel nine level). I listen to the radio commentary now anyway and its far better.

Glad they dropped Southee, maybe now he'll stop sledging and go back to bowling.

teamindia

Club Cricketer
What do we have here now ....someone else is not confident about hawk-eye

New Zealand v South Africa, 1st Test: Jacques Kallis unconvinced by ball-tracking technology | Cricket News | New Zealand v South Africa | ESPN Cricinfo

New Zealand v South Africa, 1st Test, 5th day: DRS to continue in New Zealand-South Africa Tests | Cricket News | New Zealand v South Africa | ESPN Cricinfo

It is instances like these, where the predicted path differs vastly from what is expected that has caused "plenty" of members of the South African team to be concerned about the system. "Sometimes when it hits the batter and you think that's close and it ends up being a long way away or vice versa," Kallis said. "I don't think there are any guys that are 100% sure that that thing is as accurate as they want to make it out to be. They keep saying it but I'm not so sure and I think 99% of cricketers will say that."

The 1% of convinced cricketers are obviously at PC :D

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
I think we've all seen instances where hawkeye or eagle-eye appeared to be wrong, but it doesn't change the fact that DRS as a whole has reduced the number of incorrect decisions. I haven't seen anyone claim that ball-tracker is 100% accurate and it probably won't ever be, at least not in my lifetime, but that doesn't mean I think it should be scrapped along with all the other assistance DRS provides.

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
Bracewell's statement is a "bit iffy" against the DRS, the ball pitched outside leg stump shown by the camera and not by the predicted path. I dont really understand Kallis, I'm not sure where it is but their is a article floating around the forum somewhere which explains comprehensibly the predicted path of the ball with examples of mark boucher dismissals. (for someone who wants to find it)

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
NZ have some of the most beautiful covers in the world. Probably don't need to showcase them 7 hours a day, 5 days a week, though. Could wear a little thin after awhile.

Anyone else notice the grass growing meanwhile? I'd say it's grown a good 2mm and at least 5 around the area where Kallis is fielding. Thought I saw a hot chick in the crowd too, must be someone on holiday.

-D-S-B-

International Coach
Turning this ???? off

----------

tweaking over this bullshit. Same old story never changes.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Yep, well they're pretty fried chickened now, 3 wickets in 15 balls. Vettori's good for 60 odd if the tail can face a ball or two. Anything above 200 will be good from here.

----------

Kiss of death for Vettori. Anything above 140 will be good from here.

----------

:lol From 2/133 to 7/133. All McCullum's fault apparently.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Thats interesting because I found Richards the best of the lot, it balances out the cheerleading from all the NZ commentators (which has almost got to a channel nine level). I listen to the radio commentary now anyway and its far better.

I counted Richards say four stupid things in the post rain half an hour that he was commentating on. He said it was a great move for SA to start with Morkel after the rain break, when they had to start with him because they were halfway through the over. And now that Morkel's come off all of the wickets are falling, so it was a terrible move. He also said something like Smith has to be careful that New Zealand don't go on and score 500, when even if McCullum and Taylor stayed in a bit longer 500 was never never on the cards. And there were a couple of other stupid things. Some of my mates have also told me how terrible he's been.

Yet again McCullum doesn't go on. He bats so well, but at the end of the day our collapse comes down to a poor option from him.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Williamson really needs to go back to domestic cricket for a while. Since the first Test against Australia last year he's had scores of 19, 0, 19, 34, 4, 11 and now 0. Thats an average of a 12.42 over his last 7 innings.

And as much as I like Nicol, get him out of the Test side as well.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Both Williamson and Nicol have just bashed up the minnows, which is why they're there. Guptill's got a similar record as well.

We really need Brownlie back in our middle order, because Williamson really struggles to stick around against better bowling.

Users who are viewing this thread