South African Tour of India 2010

Pretty interesting how the Smith/Boucher injuries have indirectly caused us to flop so badly. If Smith hadnt been injured then JP wouldnt have been in a position to drop the catch and Sehwag would have been gone and had Boucher been in the stumping would have been taken.

Not making excuses but just shows how unsettling it has been. But Duminy's days are counted now....he CERTAINLY can not remain in the team for much longer and the fact that him and Prince bat in succession probably perpetuated the collapse.

Alviro has looked good, Ive wanted him in the side for a while now and he's proved his mettle. Hopefully Duminy gets sent to domestic to find his form again and they keep Prince at 6 once Boucher gets back.

Pretty good comeback in the end but it might be a bit too late now....we need to wrap up the next 5 wickets for probably under 30 runs to even give us a slight chance here, anything above 100 will just see us choke again. Hopefully Steyn and them can start off getting some movement early on so we can get the guys out cheaply. Im not sure how good the pitch will be tomorrow but probably the last day we will see a relatively good batting track. Regarding the first innings, for once I think we didnt choke. Might look different on paper but I actually think we were completely over confident - either way it was shockingly bad.

And finally Harris needs to get a grip he bowled 12 freekin wides today, which is absolutely ridiculous. Even fast bowlers should be slapped around when they do that in a test match and if you're a spinner its just unforgivable.

What do you say Stefan? Whats our chances of saving this one? Im pretty pessimistic to be honest....

Reckon its prince that will get the chop. JP is part of the inner ring of the side and has smith and kallis backing him all the way. Interesting stats is that at the same point in his career jk was averaging 25 compared to jp's 30(both had scored 1 hundred and 2 fifties) with the bat and they both had 11 wickets with jp taking his at 30's while jk at 34.

Looks like I missed some spicy discussion.

Really sad that Badri was bowled, was it right before close? Why was Mishra not sent out instead of Badri? Or is the nightwatchman only used to protect Dhoni's wicket?

Also good news that Yudi is banned, the intelligence level of the forum just went up a few hundred points.
I'm gonna miss Yudi. He's gone, Ben's gone, Pecam's gone, only one left to incite flame wars are TumTum and RDF now (Not counting you and Tom when you guys are bored).

Aww :(

Anyhow, yea, why does MSD get a night-watchman but not Badri? Maybe Badri insisted on going out?

Me too. Lol! :laugh Really don't know why people get angry over small things and start hurling abuses at each other.

Coming back to the game, well, it's one of the most entertaining matches I've seen in recent times. Finally, we have an intriguing contest between the bat and the ball going on at Eden, after a series of lifeless draws. I guess I was wrong with my initial assessment of the pitch. :p It isn't a pathetic track at all! It's a superb wicket; ideal for Tests.

Looks like this will be a tight game. A lot will depend on how Dhoni performs tomorrow. Laxman should be good for about 30-40 runs, imo. If the Saffers snaffle us out quickly tomorrow, it will be a very tight game indeed, with it becoming essentially a 1-inning per side shootout. The pitch should start getting a little uneven and aiding spin, as well. Let's hope that Bhajji continues to bowl with the confidence he acquired at the end of the 1st.

Strange that they started the Test on a Sunday, I would've thought either Wednesday or Thursday, so that we could end on the weekend. Sunday guarantees only 1 weekend day despite how good/bad the pitch is. A Thursday start could've seen 2 weekend days. I guess it has to do with the schedule and the fly in-fly out nature of the tour for RSA.

Really sad that Badri was bowled, was it right before close? Why was Mishra not sent out instead of Badri? Or is the nightwatchman only used to protect Dhoni's wicket?

Also good news that Yudi is banned, the intelligence level of the forum just went up a few hundred points.

Thats what I felt too, that Dhoni protected his wicket and maybe sacrificed Badri for Yuvraj.

The wicket has not changed a lot yet. But Harris bowled one ball to Tendulkar where there was a puff of dust coming out of the wicket and Tendulkar was surprised by the ball coming into him (so far almost none of Harris's deliveries got that much turn into the batsmen from the leg stump). India should try to bat as much as possible in order for the wicket to deteriorate more (also will increase their lead). Good thing is we have Laxman still. Hope Dhoni, Harbhajan and Zaheer give some support. So disappointed for Badrinath!

Last edited:
I'm gonna miss Yudi. He's gone, Ben's gone, Pecam's gone, only one left to incite flame wars are TumTum and RDF now (Not counting you and Tom when you guys are bored).

Aww :(

Anyhow, yea, why does MSD get a night-watchman but not Badri? Maybe Badri insisted on going out?

I'm on strict orders to only instigate problems when the forum is going through a lean patch and the admins want some spice added to the discussion :D Anyway, I'm too busy these days to bother, I've only made 30 odd posts since the beginning of Feb!

Last edited:
O man is Duminy a fail or what, another 1st ball duck. To think they screwed around with Ashwel Prince for this guy. Now that Petersen has the opening spot sealed its time to drop Duminy and move prince down the order where he belongs.

A good comeback by India too but without Dravid the batting does look allot weaker. Laxman is still there so there will be more runs added to the score. Sad that Badri got out.

Yeah you will regret missing it. I used sarcasm for the first time and it ended with such a blunder. From teeling to learn the meaning of Sarcasm to understanding the meaning of Matuarity. Good experience though. :p

Last edited:
O man is Duminy a fail or what, another 1st ball duck. To think they screwed around with Ashwel Prince for this guy. Now that Petersen has the opening spot sealed its time to drop Duminy and move prince down the order where he belongs.

A good comeback by India too but without Dravid the batting does look allot weaker. Laxman is still there so there will be more runs added to the score. Sad that Badri got out.

Prince didn't contribute much either. Duminy is just going through the second season phase, hardly the first player to struggle in their second season. He will come right, seriously doudt he will be dropped. There is a reason why JP has a much higher first class average than ashwell. Prince is a good player but as far as ability goes jp is the better player.

Last edited:
Prince didn't contribute much either. Duminy is just going through the second season phase, hardly the first player to struggle in their second season. He will come right, seriously doudt he will be dropped. There is a reason why JP has a much higher first class average than ashwell. Prince is a good player but as far as ability goes jp is the better player.

Prince just got moved back up the order. Give him a couple of tests there and he will contribute.
As far as ability goes Prince has shown it and JP hasn't. Until JP shows all that ability Prince is the better player. Much more experience and has shown in the past that he can score big at #6. Cant be bothered to look it up but I think that this is JPs 3rd or 4th first ball duck this year.

One last shot here for Duminy, basically if he does not save the match, its goodbye.

Not bad in limited overs though.

SA sure did stuff up, after the start they go there is no way they should have been trailing by day 3. Nice batting by India, Sehwag again with a big 100, so amazing how he does it with the style of cricket he plays.

About the Dhoni-Nightwatchmen Issue. Sachin fell when there were about 10 overs or so remaining (disregarding the bad light at the end), I reckon he would have thought that there was a chance that SA would bring their seamers back on and take the nightwatchmen out and that it would have been wiser to send out Badri. When Badri fell there were only a handful of of overs remaining, so therefore it would have been wiser to send out a nightwatchmen considering the overs remaining and the light (poor light = no seamers). I don't think it was a malicous ploy from Dhoni.

Users who are viewing this thread