South African Tour of India 2010

Good start for India on Day 3. Laxman and Mishra together have scored 4 fours in two overs and the lead now is 64 runs. Keep it going guys!:clap

Boucher reading Sachin's book by Gulu Ezekiel. It's a good one.

Cricketman added 2 Minutes and 23 Seconds later...

I don't believe in this light stuff. If it's bright enough to see it's bright enough to play. Should be used to the bowler's advantage.

So far, very good stuff from India to get a lead of 100+ with only one wicket lost (that too of the nightwatchman). Mishra batted superbly for a nightwatchman and Laxman is hard-rock solid. Get a lead of 150+ and we should feel really strong about it. Also bat out session 2 and make sure that SA lose as much of the good batting conditions as possible.

I don't believe in this light stuff. If it's bright enough to see it's bright enough to play. Should be used to the bowler's advantage.
The way I interpret the law is that it is there because it wouldn't mean simply doing a favour for all bowlers, just one team's bowlers at the time the light is bad. Like saying to one team they can take the new ball after 70 overs. It's a matter of controlling playing conditions for the match.

Well the pitch crumbles which gives the team bowling second more of an advantage (aids the spinners on the 5th day)

Conditions change during the day as well, it gets overcast but soon becomes sunny. The same should apply to the light.

India win Session 1 of a very crucial day in the test match. If they bat out Session 2, SA might be out of the match completely. Dhoni batted well along with Laxman who seamlessly fits back into the batting order after the injury.

Na man. Think about it, if you were batting and had a hard time seeing the ball would you like someone with your point of view. There is definite reason for the rule.
Definitely shouldn't play if there is a real risk to the batsmen. However, I think Cricketman was making an exaggerated point about the ICC playing conditions.

In particular, I think all the background noise about lights being used is silly. If there are lights, you should use them. If the light gets better, turn them off or leave them on--whatever.

Let's face it--teams don't play in the same conditions over the 5 days. Instead of foolishly getting rid of large sessions of play, we should make sure we use things such as lights to ensure play is completed.

That said, I'm not even sure that the lights work at the EG, what with the renovations and all.

Users who are viewing this thread