South African Tour of India 2010

The only thing I fear for Badrinath is that he should not become this domestic run machine that turns out to be a failure in internationals. He has the history of a few Tamil Nadu players to contend with. There was this guy, Sridharan Sriram who scored bucketful of runs in domestic cricket for Tamil Nadu but in a few chances given in international cricket, he was a mega failure. Same with Sadagoppan Ramesh, but atleast he had a little success initially in his career at international level. But they also had this problem of not being selected because they were from the South (at that time, South was given a very raw deal)

Hopefully now with Srikanth in, there will be fair treatment of these players.

Yes, but Sriram was never given ago in test cricket which looking at his FC record would of been his best form of the game.

Steyn alone cannot do anything. He will need support and I do not see the potential in RSA bowling on Indian pitches.

England showed this on good batting tracks they got in RSA.

Sure if you wanna call hanging on with 9 wickets down showing it.

Last time these two teams faced off at Eden Gardens, harbhajan ramapaged through the saffers line up in the 2nd innings to set up a 8 wicket victory. Let's hope he does the same this time around.

2nd Test: India v South Africa at Kolkata, Nov 28-Dec 2, 2004 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

That was a pretty weak SA side. Of that side only 3 players are likely to start the first test on 6 Feb.

How can you not play Ojha? He was brilliant on flat pitches against SL.

Hopefully Badri can make the most of his chances in this series and maybe finally earn the respect he deserves from the selectors. I'm looking forward to seeing how Mithun goes as well (if he is to play that is), I read an article the other day where he was being talked up pretty highly and the funny thing was it said in the article that he has been able to clock 140 consistently even though he hasn't even been able to reach 140 all season in domestic cricket but he does have the potential to pick up speed as he is still fairly young.

India should do it with thier spinner's and batting. Zak should be in full flow.

Yes, but Sriram was never given ago in test cricket which looking at his FC record would of been his best form of the game.

Stats always don't tell true story. If you had seen Sriram play you would have kept him away from side as well.

How can you not play Ojha? He was brilliant on flat pitches against SL.

Because the most overrated spinner in the world will continue to find a place in the side as if he is the most indispensible part of the team. I`d personally go with a 3-man pace attack as it provides a lot more balance and a lot less dependance on the conditions and the toss.
Zak, Sharma and Mithun as the seamers and Mishra + Sehwag forming the spin attack. With 2 seamers, you are depending way too much on winning the toss and are immediately on the backfoot if you lose the toss. The two man spin attack only works when you put up 600+ in the first innings. I don`t see 2 spinners making an impact if we get bowled out for 300 odd.

Contrary to the pace-bowling bashing and some unwarranted trust being placed on the Indian spinners, especially Bhajji by members like Suren, here are a few facts from the past 2 years, since Kumble`s retirement.
Since Kumble`s retirement, our seamers have averaged just over 30 runs per wicket whereas our overrated spinners have averaged 39 runs per wicket. And we`ve played most of the cricket during this period in the subcontinent. Shows how our seamers have done and how our spinners are`nt as potent anymore.

Harbhajan, Mishra and Ojha are no Warne/Murali and they need conditions suiting them to take wickets. With a 3-seam attack you allow yourself with the luxury of being in the game even on losing the toss and are less dependant on the conditions. It also allows the seamers to be fresh at all times and get a good rest before each spell. With a 2 seam attack, 2 bowlers have to share most of the pace bowling burden which might lead to overburden.

Last edited:
Harbhajan is becoming a becoming a hopeless bowler. He can't bowl well and always get bowled after trying reverse sweep. Ojha can be the match winner spinner for us in the near future.

India should do it with thier spinner's and batting. Zak should be in full flow.

Our spinners, (mainly Bhajji) can only perform when the pitcjhes turn square. On all other occasions, its been our seamers who have had to step up and win us games, as recently as the SA series.

Harbhajan was never the matchwinner he is billed up to be. Kumble was one guy who used to win games more often than not and run through lineups in the subcontinent. Harbhajan has had a few good series here and there but he is nothing like the matchwinner that Kumble was.

I`d rate Swann and Hauritz as better spinners at the moment. Both look like getting wickets on pitches which are`nt spin friendly while Harbhajan needs rank turners to pick up wickets. He could`nt buy a wicket in Australia while Kumble got a 5er on a day 1 wicket at the MCG. With Indian pitches no longer being as dusty as they used to be, we need more skillfull bowlers and bowlers less dependant on the conditions. Sadly for us, we have a lot of away tours coming up and the team management will continue to place their blind faith on Bhajji as the lone spinner away from home instead of going for a more skilled bowler like Mishra.

Other than the 2001 Australia series, I don't think Harbhajan has really contributed much to Team India's success. Just for the fact of matter that we do not have a match winning spinner in our midst, Bhajji has retained his place for long.

Time to go back to Chawla maybe or look at Ojha.

Mishra should be given more opportunities. He has the ability to become a good leg-spinner. Needs to get a look-in frequently though.

We need Bhajji more for his batting skills.

Other than the 2001 Australia series, I don't think Harbhajan has really contributed much to Team India's success. Just for the fact of matter that we do not have a match winning spinner in our midst, Bhajji has retained his place for long.

Time to go back to Chawla maybe or look at Ojha.

Don't really agree with that, he's picked up 6-fers and 7-fers for India in numerous occasions in the 2nd innings of test matches and he's not even 30 years old so he has plenty of cricket left.

I am backing him to beat Kumble's number of wickets at least :p

Don't really agree with that, he's picked up 6-fers and 7-fers for India in numerous occasions in the 2nd innings of test matches and he's not even 30 years old so he has plenty of cricket left.

I am backing him to beat Kumble's number of wickets at least :p

I assume you have`nt seen a lot of Kumble during the 90s then. Kumble was instrumental in India being almost invincible at home in the 90s. He used to run through sides every other innings. Harbhajan does`nt come close and it is not as if he has just started playing. He`s been around for a decade already and he has done nothing close to what Kumble used to at home.

Users who are viewing this thread