Third Test: Australia v England at Edgbaston

Rain saved our butts today.

And don't forget it washing out all but an hour of day one as well. When our boys came out, they'd been kicking their heels all day and as you probably know, doing nothing - being bored out of your brain - is more tiring than actually doing something. So when they came out, they were completely unfocused. Had the day started properly, they probably would've bowled as they did on day two. So, effectively, the rain has borked two days of this match.

"Only cowards pray for rain" I do believe was what that Australian banner said at Cardiff. Nice one lads.

Luck of the draw; it always evens itself out one way or another.

Maybe we got the best of the bowling conditions at some points in the series, but it evened itself out in this match when the best part of two days were washed out with England in a very strong position. Only a complete disaster could result in a win for either side in this match - a draw is very likely.

I would rather the weather helping me out(sunny to bat, overcast to bowl) than the match washing out when it actually is pretty close with two wickets Australia will be even.

And don't forget it washing out all but an hour of day one as well. When our boys came out, they'd been kicking their heels all day and as you probably know, doing nothing - being bored out of your brain - is more tiring than actually doing something. So when they came out, they were completely unfocused. Had the day started properly, they probably would've bowled as they did on day two. So, effectively, the rain has borked two days of this match.
Day 1 would have been a better day for batting regardless. The ball hurried off the pitch more on day 2 as it does on many pitches around the world. The weather really neutered the advantage of batting first and gave England a cracker of a fresh start, because they didn't have to wear the ball in at all. Of course, they still could have stuffed it, because Flintoff and Broad still didn't bowl all that well.

No good dwelling on what has happened, let's focus on how a positive result can be achieved. While I don't advocate gung ho batting from England, they do need to push on and accept that building a big total is going to be likely. If they aim for 400+ then they will be using up valuable bowling time.

Bottom line is to win the match they will probably need to bowl the aussies out for less than 250 in their 2nd innings and need 2-3 sessions to do so. A draw is the likely result, but England need to get on with it, accept that they need quick runs not big runs and any lead of more than 50 will be a bonus. With this approach they would run the risk of not getting a lead at all, but can take solace in the fact that the aussies would need to set a big enough target that England can't chase down and I doubt Poncing will risk defeat given that would leave the aussies 0-2 down with two to play.

England's best way is to bat out today, declare on day 5 and hope we collapse again. There are only two results though, a draw or an English win.

ABsolutely correct draw or england win nothing can happen exept that one thing can happen england copase which is 99% not possible.

Not that I'm there but it looks drier than it did on the first day when they started because a bit of water still came up when you walked across it then and it looks a tad better than that. At least it looks warm so we should see it dry quickly and no more rain for today at least.

10.30am Good morning all. Welcome to the fourth day and the news is good, relatively speaking. The weather is fine, the covers are off and the umpires are due to have an inspection at 11am to see what time play can begin.

Damn..................

Play to start at 12pm which isn't too bad. Looking forward to todays play could be very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread