Tournment Ends

no it isn't, pitches in England are good for teams like Australia, New Zealand and South Africa because it actually gives the away team a chance of wining a test series and the other way around. If I remember correctly last time India were in England they won the test series.
Wickets in Sri Lanka are almost impossible for non subcontinent teams.

India is well within their rights to prepare a dustbowl. If a team is good enough, they will adapt. If not, tough ████.

India is well within their rights to prepare a dustbowl. If a team is good enough, they will adapt. If not, tough ████.

nobody said they arent but lately there haven't been too many dust bowls anywhere other then Sri Lanka.
Wickets have deteriorated all around the world.

Reminds me of the song Money by pink flyod

5 day Telecast = Greater Profits than 3 Day Telecast.

you do the math. :p

nobody said they arent but lately there haven't been too many dust bowls anywhere other then Sri Lanka.
Wickets have deteriorated all around the world.

True, but I think with the media criticizing the quality (or rather lack thereof) of this pitch, we'll see a much more sporting wicket in the next test match.

True, but I think with the media criticizing the quality (or rather lack thereof) of this pitch, we'll see a much more sporting wicket in the next test match.

for the sake of the series and interest in it I hope that there is a much more sporting wicket.
These days we see batting records falling left and right but bowling records arent being broken at all.

no it isn't, pitches in England are good for teams like Australia, New Zealand and South Africa because it actually gives the away team a chance of wining a test series and the other way around. If I remember correctly last time India were in England they won the test series.
Wickets in Sri Lanka are almost impossible for non subcontinent teams.

Anywhere in the world, pitches are prepared to suit the home team first. For example, if you have a team that is not comfortable is one condition but plays very well in another condition, then their home game pitches are prepared to suit their strengths. In the case of England pitches, Australia, NZ or SA are more used to their kind of pitches than the subcontinent ones. In England, you will find swing, in South Africa, you will find more bounce, in Australia, its more pace and bounce.

saisrini80 added 4 Minutes and 13 Seconds later...

Reminds me of the song Money by pink flyod

5 day Telecast = Greater Profits than 3 Day Telecast.

you do the math. :p

We will see more pitches like this until something is done to arrest the decline of test cricket in the subcontinent (esp. India). We saw effort being put in for the wickets in the ODI series against Australia (we had a hard and true one for Nagpur, a slow and low one for Delhi, a tough one at Guwahati, etc). But test cricket is neglected because the money that comes from it doesnt matter much in the age of Twenty20 and ODI's. Just see the scheduling. The ODI series against Australia was all staged at perfect timings (day/night games during all days of the week except Sunday, when its a day game) but for the tests, the game started on a Monday and finished on a Friday (all during work). Look where the priorities of the BCCI are in place.:doh We are playing only 5 tests until the 2011 World Cup. Test cricket is fighting for its life in India.

Not many pitches in SA or Aus have pace and bounce, maybe the Gabba but that it. SCG, Adelaide, MCG, Hobart all are pretty flat and hard work for bowlers. Dont ever remember Aus playing SA in SA and having a hard time of it, the pitches are always pretty even when we tour there.

I think south african and (most) english wickets are the fairest (Lords is pretty poor though), they deteriorate properly and offer help to seamers.

sri lankan wickets are better than australian ones currently. they offer a lot of swing to help pace bowlers and turn, australian wickets are pretty much only for hit the deck tall fast bowlers that can make the most of bounce. Swing is very difficult to exract (why the aussies were beaten in england was being unable to play swing at high speed which is what you can get with reverse swing) the piches don't deteriorate very well either so spin doesn't become much of a factor, only warne, a home player who was an exception to most rules has ever done well on them and his succesors are showing how rubbish they are for spin.

I think south african and (most) english wickets are the fairest (Lords is pretty poor though), they deteriorate properly and offer help to seamers.

sri lankan wickets are better than australian ones currently. they offer a lot of swing to help pace bowlers and turn, australian wickets are pretty much only for hit the deck tall fast bowlers that can make the most of bounce. Swing is very difficult to exract (why the aussies were beaten in england was being unable to play swing at high speed which is what you can get with reverse swing) the piches don't deteriorate very well either so spin doesn't become much of a factor, only warne, a home player who was an exception to most rules has ever done well on them and his succesors are showing how rubbish they are for spin.

What about at SCG against SA?

Pitch had 2 railway cracks big enough to lose your car keys in.

cracks though, which again are good if you can bang it in because the ball bounces unpredictably, but it's not cracked up like a sri lankan pitch with small cracks that will grip and turn the ball. it still won't swing much, still don't have much control over the seaming.

It does give it more deterioration though to make batting harder so yeah ok, I can see that. fair point. my deterioration comment was made thinking about the high run chases made there and the big 4th inning scores, which are on average much higher in australia than anywhere else.

i mean india's 387 chase against england was the highest 4th innings in india ever, teams have gone past 300 numerous times in australia.

actually the west indies is very similar as well to this.

i just hope next game will playing on grassy pitch....

Users who are viewing this thread