Unofficial Buildup to the 2010/11 Ashes

Agree with the above, North gets a prolonged shot at test cricket while Hughes sits there with his FC average of 60 not getting a go. Just insane.

Agree with the above, North gets a prolonged shot at test cricket while Hughes sits there with his FC average of 60 not getting a go. Just insane.

I Believe selectors have now realise they stuck with North way too long, but are scared to ring any changes just before the ashes series.So expect to see North in the ashes squad and most likely playing 11.Common sense all pointed to the fact that North just wont cut it at internationally level quite a while back.He hasn't been consistent at domestic level, its not like he has such a great record.North has actually carry that along in his short test career and wouldnt surprise me to see a few low scores and the odd big score when the pressure is off in the future if he is still in the team.As i've said selectors have dug themselves a hole by sticking with North and are now falling down in it.Surely second test should be the time to bring back Hughes into the team where ever he bats.

Two things can cost AUS the Ashes, which should give ENG hope:

- The continuation of the batting collapses that have rocked AUS in this post McWarne era.

- Poor team selections

In a perfect world, once all are fit. This should be the AUS team appearing in Brisbane:

Watson
Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Hussey
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

But of course stupidy will continue, North & Hauritz will be retained. SMFH..

Last edited:
I assume you've got Katich to put in there somewhere too :)

So lets just take stock of what happened in India. Who did well?
Watson
Ponting

Who did OK?
Paine
Johnson
Bollinger
Hilfenhaus

Who was poor?
Katich
Clarke
Hussey
North (although you could argue that a century gets him in the ok group)
Hauritz

Of the 5 who were poor, Clarke and Katich can be assured of their spots (despite the massive hatred of Clarke that flares up among fans whenever he fails :(). They've had great years on the whole and were the only 2 guys who scored against Pakistan just a couple of months ago.

The other 3 though are surely on very shaky ground. But it's not as simple as cutting them I'm afraid, as all have some redeeming features. Hussey owned England in 06/07 and it would only take one convincing innings for the memories to come back. He's also very experienced and great to have around the team, which makes him hard to drop. North keeps getting random centuries and he can be a handy bowler which could be important if Hauritz is bowling badly or Australia go for 4 quicks. And Hauritz is unfortunately most likely the best spinner in the country. Not that I'm against Hauritz personally, I like the cut of his jib, but I mean it would be nice to have a better option. No one's really stood up thus far, although it was nice to hear O'Keefe took some wickets this week.

But look, if I'm a betting man, it will need some excellent form from Hughes, Khawaja, Ferguson, Smith, Harris, McDonald, or a spinner like McGain/O'Keefe AS WELL AS continued bad form from North/Hussey/Hauritz for there to be any changes for the Ashes. And even then there won't be a change until after 2 Tests I would imagine.

What's annoying me right now though is that Hauritz, Hussey and Steve Smith too should be back here in Aus playing 4 day cricket IMHO, not playing meaningless ODIs against India's A team. NSW has 3 Shield games before the first Test, WA has 2. Smith in particular will have no chance to advance his cause for Test selection, as he'll be shoved down at #7 (or lower) in the ODIs and he'll be bowling only a few overs a game all to contain rather than to attack. Ferguson too would have benefited from some first class innings, I'm a bit worried about his potential selection based on ODI prowess. Although, looking at the fixtures, they can probably get back before their Shield games start. It's Vic v Tas that starts the same day the India ODI series finishes...

Last edited:
The Ashes 2010-11: James Anderson a doubt for Ashes opener | Cricket News | The Ashes 2010-11 | Cricinfo.com

England fast bowler James Anderson is in serious doubt for the Ashes opener in Brisbane, which begins on November 25, after breaking a rib during the team's recent boot camp, according to a report in the Daily Mirror.

The England squad took part in a five-day bonding camp in Germany following the conclusion of the ODI series against Pakistan and some of the drills included boxing sessions between team-mates and abseiling. According to the report, Anderson suffered a heavy blow to the ribs during one of the sessions and sustained a fracture that could take two months to heal.

Okay, whoever's idea that was, should be fired. What a stupid way to prepare for the most important tour of the year. Getting the team to punch each other out and climbing up and down cliffs. Seriously?

The farce continues!

Prior doing his back playing football.
then Joe Denly carried off after Owais Shah clobbered him again in a footy match...

Will the England set up never learn?!

However there is another 6 weeks before the first test, and the boot camp was, what, two weeks ago? 8 weeks is probably about right to recover from a broken rib, as long as he doesn't aggravate it.

Plus - I noticed he mentioned going to Old Trafford for training the other day on twitter, so it can't be that bad?

Snicko added 4 Minutes and 59 Seconds later...

Quick response from the ECB

"The ECB can confirm James Anderson sustained a cracked rib during England's recent preparation camp in Germany," they said in a statement. "Anderson is continuing his training programme ahead of the Ashes tour and will fly out to Australia with England's Test squad on 29 October. It is anticipated that he will be fit and available for selection for the first Test match against Australia in Brisbane."

James Anderson will be fit for Ashes despite boxing injury say ECB | Sport | guardian.co.uk

It was Phil Hughes that did something like that last year when he was boxing.
And my favourite injury of the past, Brad Hodge stuffed his back at a T20 when he fell over putting his pants on. Let Luke Pomersbach get a free T20I under his belt.

Last edited:
I assume you've got Katich to put in there somewhere too :)

So lets just take stock of what happened in India. Who did well?
Watson
Ponting

Who did OK?
Paine
Johnson
Bollinger
Hilfenhaus

Who was poor?
Katich
Clarke
Hussey
North (although you could argue that a century gets him in the ok group)
Hauritz

Of the 5 who were poor, Clarke and Katich can be assured of their spots (despite the massive hatred of Clarke that flares up among fans whenever he fails :(). They've had great years on the whole and were the only 2 guys who scored against Pakistan just a couple of months ago.

The other 3 though are surely on very shaky ground. But it's not as simple as cutting them I'm afraid, as all have some redeeming features. Hussey owned England in 06/07 and it would only take one convincing innings for the memories to come back. He's also very experienced and great to have around the team, which makes him hard to drop. North keeps getting random centuries and he can be a handy bowler which could be important if Hauritz is bowling badly or Australia go for 4 quicks. And Hauritz is unfortunately most likely the best spinner in the country. Not that I'm against Hauritz personally, I like the cut of his jib, but I mean it would be nice to have a better option. No one's really stood up thus far, although it was nice to hear O'Keefe took some wickets this week.

But look, if I'm a betting man, it will need some excellent form from Hughes, Khawaja, Ferguson, Smith, Harris, McDonald, or a spinner like McGain/O'Keefe AS WELL AS continued bad form from North/Hussey/Hauritz for there to be any changes for the Ashes. And even then there won't be a change until after 2 Tests I would imagine.

What's annoying me right now though is that Hauritz, Hussey and Steve Smith too should be back here in Aus playing 4 day cricket IMHO, not playing meaningless ODIs against India's A team. NSW has 3 Shield games before the first Test, WA has 2. Smith in particular will have no chance to advance his cause for Test selection, as he'll be shoved down at #7 (or lower) in the ODIs and he'll be bowling only a few overs a game all to contain rather than to attack. Ferguson too would have benefited from some first class innings, I'm a bit worried about his potential selection based on ODI prowess. Although, looking at the fixtures, they can probably get back before their Shield games start. It's Vic v Tas that starts the same day the India ODI series finishes...

Agree with your post that North , Hussey and Hauritz wont be easily dropped.North does indeed score random centuries.He did score a very good century in the first innings of that second test verses India, but if i was a selector that wouldn't be enough cause he needed to do well as a whole in the two test and he only average in the 30's( an remember his constant failures meant he he needed to repay the team more than just one century with an average less than 40.North's random spin shouldn't be enough to keep him in the team,his job first and foremost is to keep scoring runs and that he isnt doing.Hussey well he has really been short of form for awhile.One of Hussey or North has to go.Simple as that.Conservative selection , has meant we're seeing australia having a very conservative mind set even when they are in very strong positions to win a test.Hughes and Khawaja have both done brilliantly in their domestic career to date, so the options are there to replace one of Hussey or North .Our bowling well Hauritz has only really had that one really piss poor performance, i mean he hasn't been spectacular but people calling for his head after just this series is abit too premature.I'm no Hauritz fan but Haurtiz cant be drop cause of a two match series failure in india.Its ok if you believe for the first test its probably a fast bowling track and four seamers will be better then sure play four frontline quicks,but Huaritz should come straight back in ''other conditions''.My team would be:
1.Watson ( you cant really take him out of the opening spot now cause he's been brilliant there
2.Katich
3.Ponting
4.Clarke
5.Hussey
6.Khawaja( forget bowling option , if a guy isnt scoring there he should be dropped, and North isnt)
7.Haddin/Paine can go either way.
8.Johnson
9.Hauritz
10 Bollinger
11.Hilfenhaus ( been our best bowler for awhile now).

Last edited:
No lethahughes sir. Hauritz shouldn't be dropped just because of a poor series in India. Its because of his consistent failures since his recall vs SA 08/09 to take wickets on turners/wearing 5th day wickets againts good opposition.

The India series was a culmination of two years of failures in these conditions. So it would be foolish to pick him againts England & expect that to change, since recent results tells us - he will fail again.

No lethahughes sir. Hauritz shouldn't be dropped just because of a poor series in India. Its because of his consistent failures since his recall vs SA 08/09 to take wickets on turners/wearing 5th day wickets againts good opposition.

The India series was a culmination of two years of failures in these conditions. So it would be foolish to pick him againts England & expect that to change, since recent results tells us - he will fail again.

I would have agreed with you heavily War before the '09 Ashes, but IMO Hauritz has really improved a lot and actually bowled decently in that India series, it was just the the batsmen were just too good at milking him and the pitches didn't help the spinners much. Still think he's got a great looking drift and line to the right-handers, mixes it up well.

The Australian Cricket Team needs to be blown up and start again.
If I was in charge of Australian Cricket the players would all be back playing Shield Cricket instead of going to India. As far as I'm concerned we have bigger fish to fry.

Well after that article about their new found priorities I'd say that Australian cricket has joined the ranked of bending over and letting the BCCI ram them up the ass.

It's ECB vs BCCI and their bitches now.

Users who are viewing this thread