Story Watch India play a test series against New Zealand

Who will win the current tri series?

• Total voters
good test match so far. this match remids me of indias actual tour of New zealand in 2003 when both teams posted low scores

India lead by 25 runs after Day 1!

LOW SCORING TEST MATCH - A THRILLER ON CARDS?

END OF DAY 1

India 161 all out
Nathan Astle 3/66
Irfan Pathan 36

New Zealand 146 all out
Zaheer Khan 5/38
Hamiss Marshall 67

India 6 for no loss
G.Gambhir 1*
V.Sehwag 1*

What a first day to the test series have we had? Both the first innings completing within the first day? New Zealand have been bowled out for 146, 19 runs adrift of the Indian first innings total and India have begun their second innings and have finished Day one, 25 runs ahead.

india2ndinnings4vr.jpg

New Zealand were 32/4 at Tea break on Day 1. After Tea, they lost Craig Mc Millan at 34/5 when Mc Millan tried to leave a ball down the off side and was rapped in front of his off stump. One started thinking of a huge New Zealand collapse when Hamiss Marshall and Brendon Mc Mullum started taking some risks along with some good sensible batting. They slowly built up a sizeable partnership. In no time, the partnership touched 50 and the Indians started setting defensive fields and tried to stop the flow of the runs. Marshall was the aggressive of the two while Mc Mullum got aggressive in the later stages of the innings. One particular over from Pathan got thrashed to the tune of 17 runs by Mc Mullum as he scored 4,0,6,0,4,3 . Their partnership reached a hundred runs and Marshall reached his half century. Just when Mc Mullum was about to reach his half century, he was gone stumped by Kaarthick when he charged down the wicket. It was a deadly blow for New Zealand as what followed was an amazing collapse. Zaheer Khan proved what a dangerous bowler he is by running through the tail with superb ease. And he was supported by Harbhajan. Oram nicked Khan to Kaartick behind the stumps. Vettori got a controversial LBW decision off Khan when the ball easily missed off stump. Tuffey was bamboozled by a Harbhajan doosra and the last man out was Marshall who mistimed a lofted shot off Harbhajan for the midwicket to make no mistake!

nzwickets9mi.jpg

Zaheer Khan was the hero among the bowlers, picking up 5 wickets for 38 runs. Co-incidentally this is his 3rd five wicket haul and all his five wicket hauls have come against New Zealand and that too in New Zealand. New Zealand seems to be a favorite hunting ground for this Khan from Baroda. Harbhajan who was thrashed in his first two overs came back superbly to pick 3 wickets in the end with his special delivery being the doosra that he bowled to dismiss Tuffey. Pathan picked up 2 wickets. For New Zealand, Hamiss Marshall was the top scorer with 67 valuable runs while Brendon Mc Mullum gave him tremendous support with 49 runs.

nzscorecard1zy.jpg

India now have the advantage in this match of having a 25 run lead. They are 6 for no loss. Had Mc Mullum stayed for some more time, India might not have been enjoying the position they are in now! All eyes on tomorrow's game which probably might be the last day of this unusually short test match!

Last edited:
India lead by 166 runs!

Sachin Tendulkar slams half century - India 166 ahead!

Lunch - Day 2

India 151/5 - 166 runs ahead!
Sachin Tendulkar 60*
Saurav Ganguly 29

After another bucketful of wickets session, India are 166 runs ahead of New Zealand at the moment. They have lost 5 wickets in this session but still are in a good position due to the batting efforts of Sachin Tendulkar and the support received by him from Saurav Ganguly.

India started the day at 6 for no loss. Sehwag was soon out caught behind for 1. This is the second time he has got out for 1 in this test match. Gambhir and Dravid started playing together when Gambhir received a nasty ball that seamed in a mile. Gambhir left it to see the ball hitting off stump. Next to go was Dravid who came out off his off stump and tried to flick the ball but got rapped on his pads and the umpire's finger went up.

india2ndinningswickes4yu.jpg

Ganguly and Tendulkar then took charge and batted sensibly and at the same time, didnt let the run rate fall drastically. Tendulkar was stunning and hit the best shots of the day with some great cover drives, straight drives and delicate sweeps. Ganguly too joined the fun and scored boundaries at will till a misfortune cost his wicket. He tried to flick the ball and was caught LBW. Next to come in was Laxman who got a few boundaries through edges. All the Indian batsmen are beneficaries of edges today. Laxman was out for 18 when he tried to hook but the hook fell straight into the hands of midwicket!

India are 166 runs ahead! This wicket looks like it might not allow the batting team to cross 200. So if India get a lead of 250, they should be in a very good position to beat New Zealand and move 1-0 up in this two test series!

Excellent Batting by Sachin.....not happy to see sehwag once again not getting some runs here in NZ....Good Luck India

India is in a grt pos to win this test match after getting a sizable lead here!, any how kiwis willn't give it away easily. let us see, a very thrilling match.

Boss

India set New Zealand a target of 225 to win!

India set New Zealand a target of 225 to win!

Lunch - Day 2

India 161 all out (1st innings)

New Zealand 146 all out (1st innings)

India 209 all out (2nd innings)
Sachin Tendulkar 73*
Dinesh Kaarthick 27
Nathan Astle 3 wkts

New Zealand 12/0 (chasing 225 to win)

India have set a target of 225 for New Zealand to win this match and go 1-0 up in this two test series. India who were looking for a 250 run lead, faltered in reaching it as the New Zealand aided by the terrible wicket bowled out the Indians for 209.

sachinfour7jf.jpg

Sachin Tendulkar failed to register his century today morning as he was unfortunately run out for 73. Dinesh Kaarthick gave him good support but the Indian tail as usual failed to deliver. The rest of the batsman didnt even have the resistance to stand and face the New Zealand bowlers, one of which was the medium pacer Nathan Astle who has bowled very well so far in this test match picking up 6 wickets

(SORRY, HAD A FRAPS CRASH AFTER THE KARTHICK WICKET AND SO, COULDNT CAPTURE THE FINAL 4 WICKETS!)

sachinkarthick6pz.jpg

New Zealand started off their chase in pursuit of 225 with utmost caution. They did not score their first run after 3 overs. Fleming hooked a short ball from Khan for a four to start off proceedings but still New Zealand are being very careful and are not taking undue risks as they know they have 3 and a half more days to reach this target!

india2ndinningsscorecard9wl.jpg

Comfortable victory for India!

India win by 74 runs - go 1-0 up in the series!

End of Test Match

India (1st innings) 161 all out
Nathan Astle 3/66

New Zealand (1st innings) 146 all out
H.Marshall 67
Zaheer 5/38

India (2nd innings) 209 all out
Sachin Tendulkar 73

New Zealand (2nd innings) 139 all out
Stephen Fleming 29
Zaheer Khan 5/92

In what was one of the smallest and the most boring of matches, India won by 74 runs and have gone 1-0 up in this series. Due to the marathon efforts of Zaheer Khan who seems to have a love affair with the New Zealand wickets, India have won the contest on the morning of Day 3.

Some of New Zealand's wickets to have fallen!

nz2ndinningswickets9et.jpg

Zaheer Khan has picked up his second five wicket haul of this test match and has finished with a 10wkt haul in this match. A superb test match for him but one cant deny that he was being helped too much by the seaming wicket which has been totally awful for the whole test match. The NZB has come under severe criticism and must be forced to correct their mistakes in the next test or else, they might face the consequences from the ICC>

nz2ndinningsscorecards0kq.jpg

Stephen Fleming, Nathan Astle and Styris played some good cricket even though the wicket didnt help them to win here! They decided to go for their shots because on this wicket, survival is very tough and one gets out at sometime or the other. So, Fleming and Astle played their game very well and missed out on leading their team to a win here!

nz2ndiningsshots2bm.jpg

India must now be very happy at having notched up a win. Now they are 1-0 up in this series and a draw or a win at Christchurch would give them another elusive series victory abroad and this would be another feather in Ganguly's cap of having moulded India into a winning unit overseas.

Presentation Ceremony to follow soon! Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Presentation - India vs New Zealand First Test!

India vs New Zealand - Test One

India have won the first test of this two test Adidas series by 74 runs here at Wellington! In a very short match that didnt even last the full three days, India started badly scoring 161 all out on a ugly seamer's wicket. But they could not have got a better result when they bowled New Zealand out for another paltry 146 runs. With a lead of 15 runs, India batted better in the second innings posting 209 all out with Tendulkar leading the way with 73 valuable runs. Set a target of 225 to win, New Zealand started off well but faltered down the way to be bowled out for 139 on the morning of the third day. Zaheer Khan was the hero for India, picking up 5 wickets each in both innings.

Presentation Ceremony

I.Chappell: We have witnessed a very short test match that didnt last even three days on a seamer's wicket. India have beaten the home team, New Zealand by 74 runs and have gone 1-0 up in this two test series with one more test match to go. First, I would like to call upon the New Zealand captain Stephen Fleming. Sad loss here Fleming!

Fleming: We are terribly disappointed. The wicket wasnt international standard. We opted for a bouncy wicket but this wicket wasnt just bouncy but had too much lateral movement and made it a nightmare for the batsmen. Our batting didnt click as expected and we take all the blame for the defeat.

I.Chappell: Did you expect the wicket to behave this way?
Fleming: Not at all. As I said, we are not at all happy with this wicket. Last time in 2003 too, we had such wickets on which we beat India. But India have proved that they are a better side and better sides win on any wickets. They proved their bowling class and their batting too was good and had the wicket not been such a nightmare, we are afraid how their batting would have been!

I.Chappell: Bad luck and better luck next time Fleming. Now I would like to call upon Saurav Ganguly, the Indian captain. congragulations on the win Saurav. Must be elated, aint you?

Saurav: Though a great win on foreign soil and that too in New Zealand were we lost badly last time, we really feel what New Zealand's cricket board and Fleming are upto when deciding the wickets to play on. If this happens often, international sides will shy away from touring New Zealand!

I.Chappell: Great bowling from Khan in this match.
Saurav: Yes. He bowled with great heart though he was aided enormously by the wicket. He is a world class bowler though and this is his 3rd five wicket haul in New Zealand.

I.Chappell: Thanks Ganguly. Now for the man of the match. An easy choice to make - ZAHEER KHAN!

criczaheerkhangallery365x5509y.jpg

I.Chappell: Congrats Zaheer on a fantastic performance.
Zaheer: Thanks Ian. Its a previlege playing my part for an Indian victory. But a terrible wicket to play on. I would love the wicket to be sporting, not as poor as this!

I.Chappell: You seem to have got those late swinging yorkers back in your armor.

Zaheer: Yes. To my delight, I seem to be getting them back on target. But it all came with lot of practice and workouts. And I credit my coach and all who have helped me in achieving it.

I.Chappell: Thanks Zaheer. Thats all we have here from Wellington. Join you for the second test starting soon at Christchurch. Till then, its bye bye from the studios.

IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY PRESENTATION? IS IT NOT INTERESTING? BECAUSE I AM SURE I AM NOT GETTING THE RESPONSE THAT I EXPECT!

Users who are viewing this thread