Story Watch India play a test series against New Zealand

Who will win the current tri series?

• Total voters
yeh good comeback by india

spinners have seemed to do well in both the odi competiton and test matches

sorry guys, the updates are taking some time to come due to my exams starting tomorrow.. will surely update you slowly. bear with me till i update the scores

End of Day 1: India 4/1 after New Zealand score 274

Thanks for all your wishes.. Keeps me going always!!

Day's honors shared between India and New Zealand

Stumps - Day 1

New Zealand 274 all out
Stephen Fleming 69
Daniel Vettori 36
Irfan Pathan 4/70

India 4/1 (1 over)
Gautam Gambhir 0

After a very eventful day's cricket, both New Zealand and India share the honours of the opening day. New Zealand who were 150/3 after 45 overs then went on to be bowled out for 274 but still they batted really well to reach 274 when at one point, they were 232/8 and in danger of collapsing for a total below 250. After 150/3, first to go was Scott Styris who was caught at cover by Laxman off Kumble. It was a stunning catch that would have made any top class fielder proud. Hamiss Marshall followed soon after for 31 when a direct throw again from Laxman from the boundary found Marshall very short of his crease.

Brendon Mc Mullum and Jacob Oram then steadied the innings and built up a good partnership. Mc Mullum has been very good so far in this series with his compact footwork and good technique when playing his shots. Oram at the other end, was slow to start with but soon caught up with his partner playing some real fine shots. Just when the partnership was blossoming, Pathan provided the breakthrough by castling Oram for 25. And then suddenly, Mc Mullum and Shane Bond were out within the space of 2 runs to leave India on top. Mc Mullum lofted the ball to the straight boundary but was caught for 28. Shane Bond was trapped plum in front for 2 by Pathan who picked up 4 wickets. But Vettori and Tuffey had other ideas again. They defied the Indian attack as Vettori grew in confidence and spanked some superb shots all around the ground. Tuffey led a charmed lucky life and Kaarthick behind the wickets dropped two easy sitters to allow Tuffey to survive. Both took New Zealand past the 250 mark and looked to touch 300 when Khan cleaned up Vettori and Wiseman to bowl out New Zealand for 274.

India started their reply to the New Zealand's score of 274 and had to face only one over. But their reply started in the worst possible fashion when Tuffey moved the ball across Gambhir's blade but unfortunately the ball kissed the edge of Gambhir's bat on its way to Fleming at first slip. It was a shocking dismissal for the Indian dressing room. Dravid soon went out and blunted the remaining balls off the over to make it to the stumps on Day 1.

Day 2 should prove to be even more interesting! The match had a balanced game on Day 1. One is interested to see how Day 2 goes. A lead of 100 and above will place India in a very advantageous position whearas any lead for New Zealand should prove fruitful for them.

The Champ said:
excellent first days play wish india shouldnt have lost the wkt anyway nice fair days play sai

Congrats buddy for 2000 posts

thanks champ... i too wished gambhir hadnt got that edge to first slip. but it happens and thats cricket... by now, everyone must be knowing that tutsi's patch is the ultimate cricket for me.. see how the score went today.. absolutely perfect. not at a single point did i feel that i will get wickets in a platter!!

where is tutsi, the sensational guy? no amount of praise is enough for him!!!

India in dire straits

Thank god!!! Exams over. I have 11 days to rest before I start my summer courses!!

India in dire straits!

First Session - Day 2

India 55/4 - 15 overs
Rahul Dravid 1
Sachin Tendulkar 0
Saurav Ganguly 22
Virender Sehwag 15*
VVS Laxman 0*

Wonderful bowling from the New Zealand bowlers has placed India in a very precarious position on the second day of this test match! It was just sensational stuff from Bond, Tuffey and Vettori who took the last wicket of Saurav Ganguly just when ganguly was starting to take the New Zealand attack on!

Rahul Dravid tried to straight drive the ball on the backfoot but instead got an edge that carried perfectly to first slip. Dravid was out for 1. But the bigger blow of the day came when Tendulkar was out. Tuffey bowled a short ball which Tendulkar tried to defend on his backfoot. But the ball seamed in and kept low to miss Tendulkar's bat and clip the edge of the off stump. It was a superb ball which would have made any world class bowler proud! The whole Indian contigent were stunned to silence as Tendulkar was dismissed for a duck!

indfirsttwowickets8et.jpg

Sehwag and Ganguly then took utmost care not to lose another wicket and set about repairing the innings. Ganguly who started off cautiously gained in confidence with his sublime cover drive strokes for which is famously called "The god of off side" by his deputy Dravid. In one Vettori over, there were lot of dramatic moments. Ganguly came down the wicket and took two ball on the full and spanked 6 runs (2,4). But in the last ball of that over, a slow short turner from Vettori had Ganguly going on the backfoot but the ball was too low for Ganguly to connect. The umpire had no option but to raise his finger and send Ganguly back to the pavilion for 22.

gangulyvettori3zs.jpg

Sehwag is not out on 15* and accompanying him is VVS Laxman India need another 19 runs to avoid the follow on. Sehwag now holds the key to this Indian innings. Another wicket here and India will probably have to face the music from the New Zealand bowlers. Credits also to the wonderful field placements by Stephen Fleming.

Last edited:
good bowling their from nz to get out a couple of the indian greats

Users who are viewing this thread