WC 2007 Final

aus5892 said:
It wasn't really on D/L Method, you only lost two overs through that method (compared with our innings). And I wouldn't really call it close either, Sri Lanka were never near the required run rate.

May have something to do with the fact the last 10 overs were rather dark :D
Australia did have little bits of luck across the tournament, but for them to beat everyone by a big margin is great especialy after they had a shocking run going into the tournament. Maybe they peaked at the right time, or teams thought they could beat Australia comfortably.

andrew_nixon said:
Well that final was an absolute farce. I don't know what Aleem Dar was doing saying that they could have come back tomorrow, as they'd got the 20 overs in that are needed for a result. Someone needs to carry the can for this World Cup, and I fear that it'll be Aleem Dar's spot on the elite panel that will go, as the ICC brass won't resign themselves, which is a shame as Aleem Dar is one of the best umpires around.

Seems to me that he was trying to exercise common sense rather than stick rigidly to the laws. Then again Jeff Crowe has admitted this morning that no=one actually knew what the rules where!

barmyarmy said:
Seems to me that he was trying to exercise common sense rather than stick rigidly to the laws. Then again Jeff Crowe has admitted this morning that no=one actually knew what the rules where!
The annoying thing is that it gives the ICC an excuse to shift the blame onto someone else. Malcolm Speed can force Jeff Crowe or whoever to resign and say "Look we're doing something!" , when it is Malcolm Speed and Percy Sonn that should be resigning.

andrew_nixon said:
The annoying thing is that it gives the ICC an excuse to shift the blame onto someone else. Malcolm Speed can force Jeff Crowe or whoever to resign and say "Look we're doing something!" , when it is Malcolm Speed and Percy Sonn that should be resigning.

Yes it said it all when they booed their names at the presentation :laugh

Sonn is the most incompetent person i've known. Like during the ball tampering stuff last September he started rambling on about "cricket should be played in a good manner with smiles on their faces" and totally ignoring the point. Malcolm Speed is just a plank who talks crap.

aus5892 said:
you only lost two overs through

I didnt loose any overs :p ;)

WORLD CHAMPIONS said:
Ranatunga was saying yesterday that Murali can still play for 8-10 years

Ranatunga was also saying that, he like and used to play Warny well. :p This came up when they were discussing Warny and Hogg.

aus5892 said:
I wouldn't really call it close either

53 runs is neither a big margin ;)

jk16_4 said:
finally, an end to the most boring world cup ever.

Actually, it was too too long.. In my opinion, 99/03 WCup formats were better. Or in current format, two matches cud have been organised in one day like what happened in 96 to make it short.

Last edited:
What a shambles. They should have played a 50 over match today, instead of a reduced one today. Sri Lanka deserved a decent shot at that total, even though they probably weren't going to get it anyway. Surely the umpires knew there was going to be bad light?

Well done Australia, you were by far the best team for the whole tournament.

aggers was fuming about it. was scary seeing him like it.

shabby tournament, good job the best team won or else EVERYBODY would ve been fuming, not just aggers

What a joke. Quite frankly that shambles almost makes me ashamed to be a cricket fan. Such a shame that Gilchrist's knock was overshadowed by it all, what a performance.

Yeah, I don't think people realize what a magnificent Hundred that was! The fastest Hundred in final History, and done under pressure!

149 off a tick over 100 balls is just freaky.

andrew_nixon said:
when it is Malcolm Speed and Percy Sonn that should be resigning.

Totally agree with that - they should carry the can for the farcical sitation that was the end of the final.

As well as being responsible for a 7 week long tournament that most non cricket lovers lost interest in weeks ago

The next world cup should just be quarter finals instead of the super 8 crap imo. Why they didn't have 4 teams playing on the same day in the super 8's is beyond me

Leicester Fox said:
The next world cup should just be quarter finals instead of the super 8 crap imo. Why they didn't have 4 teams playing on the same day in the super 8's is beyond me

Exactly, too many matches were dead anyway. It should be a knockout stage after the group stage. It adds more excitement and allows for a shorter tournament.

Users who are viewing this thread