West Indies in England 2009

My inside sources tell me that Ian Bell and Ryan Sidebottom have been recalled to the England 13 man squad for the second test, Monty Panesar to miss out.

Sidebottom has successfully returned from injury and is now pain free, the two are the only changes to the squad.

My inside sources tell me that Ian Bell and Ryan Sidebottom have been recalled to the England 13 man squad for the second test, Monty Panesar to miss out.

Sidebottom has successfully returned from injury and is now pain free, the two are the only changes to the squad.

Erm, Geoff Millar announced that an hour ago on sportsweek...

After a good performance like that, why have we gone back to 'Bottler Bell'? :mad:

He won't play. Just an extra squad member in case of injury I'd imagine. I'm more disappointed by Sidebottoms recall, really don't think hes good enough or consistently fit enough to play Test cricket. I'd rather see Bresnan in the XI even though hes incredibly average.

Ffs England. We outplay the West Indies like that and then we go and recall Sidebottom and Bell. Nice work.

Sidebottom performed brilliantly when it all went tits up for England in the past few years. He was tremendously consistent and has been treated with distain by fans for playing while injured - I'd have thought such determination would bring praise rather than anger.

He reminds of Andy Johnson when he played for Everton. You had to admire his determination and work rate, but he rarely produced the goods in front of goal. There are better strikers out there than Andy Johnson, and we have better bowlers available than Ryan Sidebottom.

He reminds of Andy Johnson when he played for Everton. You had to admire his determination and work rate, but he rarely produced the goods in front of goal. There are better strikers out there than Andy Johnson, and we have better bowlers available than Ryan Sidebottom.
Saj Mahmood.

Haha, that's such a perfect analogy. Sums Sidebottom up perfectly. What I don't get with Sidebottom is, he's not even fit enough to play every game for Notts, so what makes the England selectors think he's fit enough to play a full part in England's Ashes campaign? My main gripe with Sidebottom hasn't been his pace or looking undercooked due to injury either, it's the fact he's been bowling far too wide. It's like he's gone away and watched Mitchell Johnson bowl and tried to adapt the same tactic of bowling it full and wide and hoping the right handers edge it, but it just doesn't work with a bowler at his pace. When Sidebottom was at his best he was pitching 9 balls out of 10 on the stumps, and actually looked like getting wickets, he's not looked like that since the NZ Home series. He had a good run, picking up hauls of wickets against rubbish batsmen, but it's time to move on, as with Harmison.

I'd much rather see some new blood play. Guys like Onions, Bresnan, Napier, Davies, Kabir Ali, and maybe even Woakes, Joseph and if we're really desperate Saj Mahmood. I personally think Sidebottom's time has passed.

Bell really proves why England have recalled him with a stylish duck containing some fantastic defensives and leaves.

Fats Patel should have been called up instead of Bell. Been scoring runs fairly consistently, whereas Bell's still resting on the hundred he scored at the start of the season. Fats must have had time to lose abit of weight since they slagged him off last, and he's got an awesome FC record, and offers a bowling option also, get him in the side. If he can play 4 day cricket for Notts, he's fit enough to play for England.

Users who are viewing this thread