West Indies in Zimbabwe/South Africa

Good to see the South Africans getting drilled for once. I hope the West Indies can keep it up though. Typically they're a very inconsistent team.

The Windies are playing really well at the moment and I'm glad, because I think SA went into the match big headed and underestimated them heavily and weren't going to take them seriously, and it's good this is a proper wake-up call. That regardless of who you play against you can't take them too lightly, there is also the finer point that SA always struggles against the Windies which of what I do remember of most series is partially true.

Hopefully the guys can get their acts together and play for a draw, no way SA can win it from this position unless there is a somewhat minor miracle.

if they can get de Villiers out early tomorow than the West Indies have a good chance of making South Africa folow on. good to see Taylor and Powell get some wickets in tests, should help their confidence alot.

Edwards was bowling at a good pace for the entire day but he still has control problems. needs to get his line and length better to become a good strike bowler.

congrats C'paul, most underrated for manny years now becoming a great leader for this young team. 7 half centuries in last 7 inings, id say he is in some form.

Last edited:
I think Gayle's been a bit uneven with his bowlers, which is no real surprise given that Powell and Taylor did so well, but he didn't give Sammy a chance until this morning. Bravo ended up being the one to trouble both De Villiers and Harris, so there is good cause for a more complex bowling cycle. Those slower guys really aren't all that slow and are both very accurate.

No way in hell should they enforce the follow-on, what a waste of a 200 run lead. As I said, the rotations haven't been even and there is a lot of time left to rest them up. There's nothing wrong with the batsmen getting a bit more time in the middle in the first match, either and a solid follow-up innings would send them euphoric into the next stage. Plus, they would do well to be wary of South Africa, not only do they have enough quality to come back into the game, but that scenario also leaves them batting last against a decent spinner.

If they get to follow on, i strongly believe it should be enforced. SA players are already down, put them back in now and try pick up some early wickets.

Bowlers just coming back from lunch, they should have gotten enough rest.

They should bat. Give the bowlers a rest. Get a 500 run lead and bowl the South Africans cheaply. Smith shouldn't throw away his wicket so easily... what a ball from Bravo to AB Devilliers. If only Hayden got out like that.

Was it Flintoff who said 3 years ago to Bravo in the Windies tour of England "we'll see where you'll be in 3years and where i'll be... you'll be out of the team buddy boy"? If thats the case then Flintoff got owned.

Take out Sammy, bring in Tino Best. Four pronged pace attack, all pushing/touching 140kph:happy:hpraise

;)

edwards, powell and taylor haven't bowled much today. They don't need any rest at all. still fresh.

edwards, powell and taylor haven't bowled much today. They don't need any rest at all. still fresh.

The danger with fast bowling is muscle fatigue, which does not recover with a night's rest.

West Indies choose to bat again.
Well,apparently I underestimated them.
Really bad batting by SA,it seems they were thinking along the same lines.

Wow. Just wow. This performance is just so classically West Indian.

The first thing with a follow-on is that generally the bowlers are fresh - at the start. Even if South Africa were to again play pathetically, you'd still expect to see them at the crease after the Windies have bowled 100 overs straight.

The other thing about the follow-on, which I think is far more crucial, is about surrendering the initiative. Bowling last is often an advantage, bowling last behind a massive total is a huge advantage and in the Windies case, batting last gives SA the most optimal use of their spinner. 200 is not a good target, the Windies would have to have batted again. Why make it harder?

what did i say about batting now ? I'm not surprise by the position they're in now.

They will prolly get to a lead of 400 then bowl out SA ..

wow what a colapse by West Indies in the 2nd innings. if they could have made 200-230 it would have been perfect for them but with only 2 wickets to go looks like South Africa will chase 360ish.

this could be interesting on the final day, if the west indies bowlers can click than maybe they can pull this off. i feel like anything short of 400 wont be enough.

Users who are viewing this thread