Your Cricket What Pace can you Face

If your cousin can easily bowl 130+ with a tape ball, why isn't he playing for Pakistan? If he can bowl 130+ with a tape ball, he should be able to bowl 150km with a hard ball, and he should probably dominate world cricket, yes?

It was probably more like 100-110, as Jakester said, it is extremely easy to overestimate the speed of deliveries, especially if they are whizzing by your head.

That could be true. As mentioned I did get hit by one on my head! :p
I thought it was harder to ball faster with Hard-ball as compared to tape-bowl?

Under arm lobs is where I reach my limit, anything else is too scary. I have a lot of repect for batsman, bowlings easier but batting is another story.

There aren't really many quick bowlers in my competition, keeping in mind that I play in a 15 and under grade competition. The fastest bowler in the comp probably bowls around 100-110 km/h which I can play pretty well so around 100-110 would be comfort zone. I'd doubt that I could face anything faster than that at the moment as I am still quite young and I feel more comfortable facing spin as I can play it better.

Some of the posts in this thread are pretty bizarre, 10-15 year olds saying that they can face up to 140km/h easily. :sarcasm

Here in Aus, in U-13 quick bowlers take a pile, but in U-15 they get flogged, unless they swing it.

Anyone who swings it here gets wickets.

I can face any pace really, because I don't watch the ball into the bat, I just anticipate :)

I can read the length and line from where the ball pitches, although if the bounce is not consistent or it holds up, i'm a dead cookie :noway

Have you ever played on a turf pitch before, TumTum? Because you better get used to it, it's fine being a run machine on synthetic where the ball doesn't do anything but on turf it will hold up and bounce funny all the time.. on any pitch that isn't the Gabba, that is. There are a few belters, but you have a very good chance of encountering at least one dodgy turf pitch in your career..

Speaking as an opener.. ;)

Our home ground is dodgy as. Low bounce, swings like mad. As a swing bowler I like it, but when I have to open it's a minefield....

Have you ever played on a turf pitch before, TumTum? Because you better get used to it, it's fine being a run machine on synthetic where the ball doesn't do anything but on turf it will hold up and bounce funny all the time.. on any pitch that isn't the Gabba, that is. There are a few belters, but you have a very good chance of encountering at least one dodgy turf pitch in your career..

Speaking as an opener.. ;)

Yer my dad bowled some ultra-slow mediums and they seamed like mad on turfs.
But that pitch was ALL synthetic grass, like you see in an indoor soccer field.

Will never play on a pitch like that again.

Um... a turf pitch doesn't have synthetic grass.. that's the point of a synthetic pitch.. and if you are finding that even ultra-slow mediums are seaming like mad on turf.. you might be in for a bit of trouble once you actually have to play on it.

I'm lucky actually, my home ground for my club is a brilliant ground. Beautiful outfield, full size and mowed perfectly, and the groundsman is an ex-opening batsman so he generally makes great pitches.. not too much variation when it's good. However, occasionally when it rains, it becomes very slow, and anything on a good length kicks up and becomes very tough to play.

I don't think you understand what I mean. The "fake" pitch I once casually played on had an average grass length of about 5cm. Not flattened with any roller.

Of course it gets flattened a bit when you walk on it, so the height of the grass was about 2cm high.

Tips to face till 140:
Full COncentration and nothing else
For higher speed you need too good hand and eye coordination and your footwork's gotta be fast and yeah there should be no fear in your mind.Materials for getting good footwork I suggest Kookaburra Pads, Aero Thigh Pads and Puma Half Spikes shoes.To improve your hand and eye coordination play PC Racing games like Moto GP etc.

Shub, I have gone out and purchased every Moto GP ever made on PC. I also went and brought myself a wii and every racing game ever created on that console. I have spent the past 7 months inside playing these games, in an attempt to improve my hand eye coordination. But I still can't seem to face 140k bowling. What am I doing wrong?

Shub, I have gone out and purchased every Moto GP ever made on PC. I also went and brought myself a wii and every racing game ever created on that console. I have spent the past 7 months inside playing these games, in an attempt to improve my hand eye coordination. But I still can't seem to face 140k bowling. What am I doing wrong?

Well I reckon it has to do with a good technique first.

You should be able to be solid when balls are coming at you, and wait for the right ball outside off stump and play a drive/cut with a proper technique.

When facing a really fast bowler, I only play at balls that are going near me, hence it makes it easier. Because I have the exact shot I should play in my mind at that time.

As some have stated, it is very easy to overestimate bowling speeds, without a speed gun verification, it realy is very difficult. I can play upto 130 km/h with ease, after that it gets difficult (since I've only played one bowler faster than that). Generally if you don't play FC cricket, the fastest bowler you'd have faced would be around the 130-135 mark.

Although I wonder about bowling machines, my cousin who played at Essex University (or something to that effect) told me that he could face upto 90 mph on the bowling machine but facing 80-85 mph bowlers could be very difficult. He stated that whatever speed you could face in terms of the bowling machine was around 5-7 mph higher than what you could face against a bowler. Anyone know how true that is?

Users who are viewing this thread