World Cup 2007 - Preview thread

who do you think is going to win the world cup in 2007?

• Australia

Votes: 44 22.0%
  • Bangladesh

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • England

Votes: 35 17.5%
  • India

Votes: 49 24.5%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 36 18.0%
  • South Africa

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Sri Lanka

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • West Indies

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Zimbabwe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Scotland/Bermuda/Ireland/Canada/Netherlands/Kenya)

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
I don't think Iraq will have a cricket team in the near future, although Saddam might make a good umpire.

Sureshot said:
I don't think Iraq will have a cricket team in the near future, although Saddam might make a good umpire.

LOL , IMO

Just Imagine saddam and bin laden in the iraqi cricket team , with usa agaisnt them.

well in that case...
the icc will be replaced by the UN
and USA will reign the cricketing world.

England have the best chance. I don't care what the ratings say, England right now are the most confident team, and I believe they're the best team. Australia is way too old. It's funny how people say "yeah, the aussies have so much young talent thats going to dominate the world cup" HAHA, are you fu**ing kidding me?? The young talent is going to beat teams like England, India, Pakistan etc..teams with proven superstars?? I bet Australia's team in the world cup will be similar to what they have now, but if a whole bunch of players decide to retire before world cup, then Australia wont do sh*t!

zreh said:
England have the best chance. I don't care what the ratings say, England right now are the most confident team, and I believe they're the best team. Australia is way too old. It's funny how people say "yeah, the aussies have so much young talent thats going to dominate the world cup" HAHA, are you fu**ing kidding me?? The young talent is going to beat teams like England, India, Pakistan etc..teams with proven superstars?? I bet Australia's team in the world cup will be similar to what they have now, but if a whole bunch of players decide to retire before world cup, then Australia wont do sh*t!

Your dead right mate , personally if australia contunue to play oldies in thier team , I doubt they even will get to the semi-finals. Personally australia wont do s**t once all thier key and important players reitre before or after the world cup , becuase they might have the talent , but no expierence. And expierence is the key . If you are going to bring youngstesr into the equation then they need over 60 odd matches expierence for BIG MATCHES IN THE WORLD CUP , which 80% of India , Pakistan ,England , new zealand and the west indies players are young talents have I dont see any of thier men in thier line up over the age of 34 and they are doing well and improving.

Last edited:
Indians are obsessed with having young players. It's not like cricket is a contact sport.

That becuase they are very talented , and worth a try . just like when the 16 year old tendulkar came on to the scene , but if you have yougsters in your side than they will bcome good like sachin and gain lots of expierence.

I just hope India stops chocking in finals.

iceman_waugh said:
well in that case...
the icc will be replaced by the UN
and USA will reign the cricketing world.

and send an Atom bomb to any team that cheats or if Shane warne creates an academy called Weapons of Mass Spin :p

Choking btw, not Chocking.

Indiangod said:
Are you mad? , ganguly is a good captain , and fully backs all the players , sehwags a good aggreaser , even if he hits a quick 20 or 30 is good enough for me.

What good is a captain who backs his players but cant buy a run to save his spot in the team ?!? Hes surviving purely on reputation and his career record. If this were Australia, he would be sent home to start receiving his retirement pension rightaway.

And Sehwag. sheesh !! A Sehwag who makes just quick 20s is no better than an Afridi. Atleast Afridi has his bowling to fall back on, something Sehwag cant do with consistency.

zreh said:

meh . Thats what everyone said when Australia went into the WC 2003 without Steve Waugh, Mark Waugh and Shane Warne. Yet they beat the pants out of every other team with "proven superstars".

Well..........Ganguly is a good captain check out thae stats in the last 4 years on india games and check how many test and odi series's ganguly as won, and if you havent noticed ganguly as a captain got india to the world cup final and swiped evreyother countrys of the floor apart from the aussies, but could not finesh the job in the final, Yes he is playing crap as a batsmen, but India need him as a captain, after all ganguly is the one who brought back dravid after being critacised as the slowest player, and a crappy player, he also brought back y singh, kaif, h singh, and laxman into the india side, after a struggle in thier earley careers.

Last edited:
Indiangod said:
Well..........Gangully is a good captain check out thae stats in the last 4 years on india games and check how many test and odi series's ganguly as won , and if you havent noticed ganguly as a captain got india to the world cup final , and swiped evreyother countrys of the floor apart from the aussies , but could not finesh the job in the final , Yes he is playing crap as a batsmen , but India need him as a captain , after all ganguly 's the one who borught back dravid after being severley critasised as the slowest player , and a crappy player , he also brought back y singh , kaif , h singh , and laxman into the india side , after a struggle in thier earley careers.He fully backs all his youngsters as well . On that sehwag issue he is a better player than sehwag , sehwag ddoes well on big occasions , and he is also a usefull wicketaker , he avearges 32 at the moment in bat , and afridi avearges a dismall 27 for a batsmen. and sehwags played good in the last 2 asia vs africa game , and another dismall performance by afridi where asia needed him to get the innings going with some aggreasion and at least make some runs . I dont know what you are taking about but even in test sehwags a quality player who as played well in the last 2 years in test and made some match-winning performances who avreages about 50 in tests . Sehwags a better and quality player than afrid my friend.
Can you please format your posts so they're clear.

I think you all live in fantasy worlds. I, on the other hand, believe that I am a bronze door handle sitting proudly on luxury aeroplane...
PS. I think any team can win the World Cup except for South Africa, they will find some God forsaken way of throwing away any chance they get.

Ah.. Just finished reading the whole thread. Members supporting their countries. Some trying to show that they are neutral.

Here is my take and I am also trying to be as neutral as possible - on current form & confidence, England stand a very good chance of lifting the Cup. I feel they can be a team who can get inspired by their show in the tests and take it on to the ODI arena. Aussies will still have a great team and it would be tough upstaging them! I would want Mc Grath to play the World Cup and Brett Lee should accompany him at the top of the bowling order. Deadly!!!!

Coming to my motherland - INDIA! Right now on their form, confidence, etc, they dont even stand a chance to enter the Super Eight Series of the World Cup. They are still in some sort of a disarray. But WAIT WAIT!!! They showed some fighting instinct in the IndianOil Cup. And dont say they choke in the finals. If they really choked in the finals, then their game would have been horrible right from the early stages of the final! We did well in the final against Sri Lanka and had lots of positives from the final. We lost it only from the stage where we were 202/2. So with more effort, we can start winning finals! Chappell is just one series old. I am confident that with his methods of coaching, he can improve upon this team and mould them into a fighting unit capable to beating all the teams on their way to the cup! Just we have to wait n watch!

If India is in the same position when 2007 WC comes, the BCCI might as well consider backing out of the Cup and start focussing towards the 2011 edition!

i think pakistan is gonna win they got some pretty young players that will mature and get alot of experience till 2007

Users who are viewing this thread